Author Topic: I feel so bad for you- tattoo related  (Read 20030 times)

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
  • I have a PhD in horribleness.
Re: I feel so bad for you- tattoo related
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2010, 10:09:16 PM »
My one that makes people think i am racist is a little clover.

I think I'm missing something... why is a clover racist?
The status is not quo!

ChristiKayAnn

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2010, 10:15:12 PM »

Me, too. I was wondering the same thing. The only thing clovers make me think of are St. Patrick's Day and the Christian explanayion of the Trinity using the clover.

Jocelyn

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2010, 11:19:33 PM »
  But I've also heard of tattoos that didn't exhibit great planning. Like a young lady who got a butterfly tattooed on her abdomen...and then got pregnant. I'll leave the results to your imaginations  >:D

A great many young ladies seem not to consider gravity. I have a friend who says that a friend of hers used to have an apple tattooed on her butt...but time has turned it into more of a pear.  >:D

LilyRose

• City Girl In Cowboy Boots
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2010, 12:35:25 AM »

Me, too. I was wondering the same thing. The only thing clovers make me think of are St. Patrick's Day and the Christian explanayion of the Trinity using the clover.

I just did some checking and found that it is one of the symbols used by the Aryan Brotherhood.

Joeschmo

« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2010, 12:55:02 AM »
This thread has made me think of 2 things:
1.  In my last job I worked with an 85 year old woman who I helped shower so now the argument of "what will that look like when you're wrinkly?" carries no weight with me.  Once my skin is that saggy I could care less if it has deformed designs on it.

2.  When your tattoo artist tells you that he is a horrible speller and you need to double check the words he is going to be permanently inking into your back that is a good sign that you really need to look at the drawing.  My friend the tattoo artist recently did a tattoo that says "In Loving Memoy" after it was approved by the girl who was getting it.  Last I heard they were trying to come up with a way to fix it but I can't figure out how on Earth it can be fixed.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2010, 03:55:25 PM »

I just did some checking and found that it is one of the symbols used by the Aryan Brotherhood.

Yep. Luckily most people don't think that right away; but i've had a few that do approach me.
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Onyx_TKD

« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2010, 04:57:07 PM »
My sister attended a family party in a tank top that visibly showed a very large tattoo, the Chinese symbol for horse, on her back. She smiled, "I can't wait to shock Grandma! She's going to be so upset." It was definitely said in a "in-your-face" way.

Granmda arrived, saw my sister and asked, "Anna, what's that say on your back?"
Sister smiled, "It's Chinese for horse."
Grandma replied, "oh, I thought it said Kick Me."

Grandma laughed. Sister didn't.

Go Grandma!

Why "Go Grandma"? Unless I'm seriously overlooking something in this story, the grandmother was the only one rude during that little conversation.  ???

The sequence I'm reading is:
1) Sister gets a tattoo and thinks Grandma will disapprove (and it seems she was quite correct). -- Not rude; her tattoos are her own business, not Grandma's.
2) Sister makes sure the tattoo is visible for a family party, with the intention of seeing Grandma's reaction. -- Arguably rude. Trying to "shock" someone and thus provoke a confrontation at a family party is rude or at least quite inconsiderate to the family. However, wearing an otherwise appropriate outfit that shows a non-obscene tattoo to a party does not seem at all rude. Therefore, the only reason I would say Sister was rude is because she stated she was trying to shock Grandma, which Grandma presumably didn't know about when this conversation happened.
3) Grandma asks what the tattoo says and is answered. -- Either party could be rude or perfectly polite, depending on tone, which was not described.
4) Grandma makes a comment about thinking it said "Kick Me" -- Rude. I really can't really think of any interpretation of this that isn't insulting (most likely implying that she was too stupid to check what it meant before having it tattooed).

My interpretation: Sister was rude by trying to shock Grandma/provoke an uncomfortable confrontation in the middle of the family party. Grandma was even ruder by actually starting that confrontation and making nasty comments about her granddaughter's quite non-offensive tattoo.

If I've missed something, can someone please explain why Grandma deserves cheering?

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2010, 06:26:15 PM »
My sister attended a family party in a tank top that visibly showed a very large tattoo, the Chinese symbol for horse, on her back. She smiled, "I can't wait to shock Grandma! She's going to be so upset." It was definitely said in a "in-your-face" way.

Granmda arrived, saw my sister and asked, "Anna, what's that say on your back?"
Sister smiled, "It's Chinese for horse."
Grandma replied, "oh, I thought it said Kick Me."

Grandma laughed. Sister didn't.

Go Grandma!

Why "Go Grandma"? Unless I'm seriously overlooking something in this story, the grandmother was the only one rude during that little conversation.  ???

The sequence I'm reading is:
1) Sister gets a tattoo and thinks Grandma will disapprove (and it seems she was quite correct). -- Not rude; her tattoos are her own business, not Grandma's.
2) Sister makes sure the tattoo is visible for a family party, with the intention of seeing Grandma's reaction. -- Arguably rude. Trying to "shock" someone and thus provoke a confrontation at a family party is rude or at least quite inconsiderate to the family. However, wearing an otherwise appropriate outfit that shows a non-obscene tattoo to a party does not seem at all rude. Therefore, the only reason I would say Sister was rude is because she stated she was trying to shock Grandma, which Grandma presumably didn't know about when this conversation happened.
3) Grandma asks what the tattoo says and is answered. -- Either party could be rude or perfectly polite, depending on tone, which was not described.
4) Grandma makes a comment about thinking it said "Kick Me" -- Rude. I really can't really think of any interpretation of this that isn't insulting (most likely implying that she was too stupid to check what it meant before having it tattooed).

My interpretation: Sister was rude by trying to shock Grandma/provoke an uncomfortable confrontation in the middle of the family party. Grandma was even ruder by actually starting that confrontation and making nasty comments about her granddaughter's quite non-offensive tattoo.

If I've missed something, can someone please explain why Grandma deserves cheering?

Sister tried to shock Grandma, and instead of being shocked or getting drawn into drama, Grandma made a joke. Doesn't seem rude to me.
The status is not quo!

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2010, 06:31:26 PM »

I had no idea. That's rather unfortunate. Still, even knowing that, my first thought upon seeing a clover tattoo would never be of the Aryan Brotherhood.
The status is not quo!

Kelvar

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2010, 05:59:58 AM »

I had no idea. That's rather unfortunate. Still, even knowing that, my first thought upon seeing a clover tattoo would never be of the Aryan Brotherhood.
That's the problem with symbols, they can mean different things to different people and there's always going to be one with a really weird or inappropriate interpretation.

I have a tattoo on my arm of a taurus symbol in celtic knotwork. Especially considering star sign tattoos are quite common I thought people would either recognise it for what it is or have no idea and either ask me or carry on with their day. For the most part I was right but there was still the one guy who completely out of the blue asked me "Is that a satanic gods head?" :o

In this case it turned out that the guy in question firmly believed the main reason anyone, ever, got a tattoo was to shock and offend those who didn't like them and everyone therefore got the most shocking or offensive image they were willing to have. That and he had recently decided to call himself a satanist (which apparently meant nothing more than wearing black and telling people he was a satanist) and was a little desperate to find other 'satanists' to associate with.

A bible belt Christian homeschool teacher telling me it looked lovely less than 6 months later completely made up for it. :D

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2010, 01:13:42 PM »
I have a tattoo on my arm of a taurus symbol in celtic knotwork. Especially considering star sign tattoos are quite common I thought people would either recognise it for what it is or have no idea and either ask me or carry on with their day. For the most part I was right but there was still the one guy who completely out of the blue asked me "Is that a satanic gods head?" :o

Similar tattoo - when I got my tat of the Leo glyph on my lower back, I worked at a very creative office (male boss had hot pink hair and many tattoos himself).  So of course, everyone wants to Leebee's first tattoo (and it wasn't a problem that I had to lower my pants a bit to show it off).  One of our graphic designers didn't know what it was and asked me "Leebee, why did you get a [male reproductive cell] tattooed on your butt?"  My response was quite naughty.   >:D  I'm not sure I should repeat it here, but anyone can PM me for it.  It was definitely a case of knowing my audience.  But I did make the GD blush 7 different shades of red.  

ETA - cleaned it up a little
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Lysistrata

« Reply #41 on: April 21, 2010, 03:14:13 AM »
I've always been tempted to get one that says "Ouch" in Kanji...

That's exactly what my first one says :D

Kelvar

« Reply #42 on: April 23, 2010, 09:05:11 AM »
I always wanted to get a tattoo that says "I don't know" in a foreign language. :D

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2010, 05:45:55 AM »

It isn't unfortunate. It's not lucky. It's there and it's mine. I know what it is and it's my skin it's in.

:) I love my tatoos so much.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Wonderflonium

• DO NOT BOUNCE
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2010, 10:25:31 PM »

It isn't unfortunate. It's not lucky. It's there and it's mine. I know what it is and it's my skin it's in.

:) I love my tatoos so much.

I just meant it was unfortunate that the Aryan Brotherhood appropriated a symbol that so many people love.
The status is not quo!