Author Topic: A thread for the Unemployed  (Read 3832 times)

auroratudor

• In libris libertas.
A thread for the Unemployed
« on: March 27, 2009, 03:04:55 PM »
Hi all!

I thought we could start a general thread for those of us who find ourselves unemployed in this economy. I envision a general thread, with happy thoughts, hugs, your stories of losing jobs, applying for jobs, and getting jobs; also questions about all aspects of applying/being unemployed. Does anyone have any stories from the Great Depression/gas crisis/80s? Those who are employed can tell us about how they were once in our shoes and things can get better! At times like these we all need to band together.

I'll start.

I was recently "allowed" to quit my dream job at a non-profit when the grant that paid for my position was not renewed for this year. I had only been at the job 4 months. I've now been unemployed for a month and have only gotten one interview out of about 30 applications, despite having both a BA and MA. Experience is everything in this job market it seems.

But I try to look on the bright side! I have enough money to last for 2 more months. My DH is legally allowed to work in 3 months. I have my health. I get to spend lots of time reading, writing, and enjoying the sunshine. I have more time to work out.

Now your turn! :)
"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." -- G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

MeeLee

Re: A thread for the Unemployed
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 03:25:12 PM »
My boyfriend and I have just graduated from university and both of us can't get hired anywhere. I have a BA, he has a degree in engineering. I am taking classes online in human resource management and we are both hoping for any kind of job. It seems that not even minimum wage places will hire us. Most of my friends are still in university and don't seem to understand how hard it is for us and I'm finding myself not really wanting to talk to them anymore.

We are staying with parents, which isn't so bad and I find that I'm learning and trying my best and that's alright for now.

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 03:43:55 PM »
My only advise is to keep your spirits up. It does get better.

At this point, I would apply to anything, even if you didn't have a degree in that area. Even if all it was was a janitoral job or something. Then when the economy gets better, you could try for a better job.

I have also experienced the "not enough experience" syndrom. Apparently, I should be ashamed of myself because I DON"T have a BA or MA. (yes, I was told this by someone at a temp agency)

ginlyn
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

EagleEye

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 03:52:35 PM »
Hi ladies! I am unemployed too, as is DH.  I have been laid off twice in the past two years, and my recent contract job ended prematurely thanks to the "beginning of the crash" last Fall . .   (think I need to find a new industry, maybe?  ;))

DH just ended a 5 year contract that was not renewed- had another job lined up since last summer, then a hiring freeze took that opportunity away - he was hoping to land another job by October/December, but NOTHING has worked out. 

Responses to our resumes have dwindled to . . nothing.  And I feel we have exhausted all our contacts at this point.

So we are working on little pet projects when we feel up to it  :), sometimes watching a lot of TV  :-\, sometimes feeling pretty down.  :'(  It's really a roller coaster, isn't it?  I am trying to decided what I really love and trying to make a go of that . . . but with little resources it's hard.  Also keeping up my enthusiasm for these independent projects, while trying to still pursue other employment opportunities - can be overwhelming.  Sometimes I just want to crawl into bed and not think about any of it!

Most of my friends are still in university and don't seem to understand how hard it is for us and I'm finding myself not really wanting to talk to them anymore.

Emmalaymla I totally feel the same way.  None of our friends are currently unemployed . . and it does get hard to socialize with them sometimes.  I don't want people having a pity party for me, and I am tired of hearing "something will come up soon! Stay positive!"  I do understand that it's hard for people to know what else to say.  But I have begun to NOT BRING UP our situation at social occasions anymore (if someone asks I give them a very brief answer and change the subject!)  I find that helps me feel "normal", and I enjoy my friends more.

I am really hoping things start to turn around by Fall, at least!  And yes, like auroratudor (thanks for starting this thread!), at least we have our health!

At this point, I would apply to anything, even if you didn't have a degree in that area. Even if all it was was a janitoral job or something. Then when the economy gets better, you could try for a better job.

ginlyn
But this is a problem sometimes, as emmalaymia said.  These sorts of jobs often won't even consider a person with a lot of experience in something totally unrelated.  DH and I have applied for jobs in retail, the local grocery store, etc etc.   There are no doubt unemployed janitors too, and they would rightfully be offered this position before us.  KWIM?

« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 03:54:28 PM by Wonderland »

TychaBrahe

• Super Hero!
  • Defend the mother closet!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 04:02:41 PM »
I don't happen to be unemployed, but I thought I'd drop in and spread some good cheer.

Durable good orders were up for February.  Durable goods are things expected to last over three years, like appliances.  That means the stores are buying them from the manufacturers because there anticipate being able to sell them.  This is the first time durable good orders were up for six periods.

Also, business machine orders are up, which means businesses are buying the things that they use to manufacture goods. 

Both of these are signs of an improving economy.
"Brownies and kindness for all!"  High Dudgeon

MeeLee

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2009, 05:41:40 PM »
See I've tried temp agencies and they wouldn't touch me because I had a BA. They said I was educated but unskilled.

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 05:59:10 PM »
I'm self-employed and my last contract ended Nov 1.  I took Nov and Dec off, figuring the companies would get their new budgets in Jan and it would be easy to get a job then.  Wrong!  Contracting has pretty much dried up, even though I live in the city that's the center of my industry.  I'm thinking of biting the bullet and getting a permanent job until the economy gets better, since I've been getting calls about permanent jobs all along.  I'm not eligible for unemployment, but I have insurance (COBRA) from my last job.

HeebyJeebyLeebee

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 06:37:15 PM »
I was laid off at the end of September.  I was in Commerical Real Estate in Chicago.  The market there is tanking.  I know my firm held on to me as long as possible.  Personally, I think they should have released me sooner.  But we were like a family, and I miss them all very much.  I've stayed in touch with a few people there.

Luckily, my Sweet Pattootie was offered a job in my hometown.  The move was expensive, but it's been worth it.  He's very happy in the new job.

I'm still job hunting, but no luck yet.  I've submitted lots of applications and had a few interviews.  Some interviews have been less than stellar, others have been really good.  But it doesn't look like I've been the best match for any of them yet.  It's been emotionally tough for me.  I've started an antidepressant medication, and it's helping immensely! 

So I've been keeping myself busy meeting other local Hellions, trying to reconnect with old friends still in the area, and tending my vegetable garden.  I'm also hoping to volunteer at my local library on a part time basis. 
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

NutMeg

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2009, 06:50:11 PM »
I'm a student, and I'm looking for a summer job (it's not going well). It's not the same situation as a lot of you guys, but I'm starting to get worried about paying my rent this summer. My residence contract ends at the end of April and then my living costs are going to be a lot higher.

We thought for a while there that my parents were going to lose everything, but that seems much less likely now. My SO is employed, and I'm not worried about his finances at all... But his roommate/our friend is unemployed and won't be able to make rent next week. He also hasn't payed for groceries in a few weeks. It sucks because we care about him, but at the same time my SO can't be supporting him. Other than him, most of my loved ones seem to be weathering things ok.
"You're hostages! This is a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it! We're your captors. We're armed. There's rules. There's a whole school of etiquette to this!" - Dr. Daniel Jackson                

Esther_bunny

• Life is too short for cheap chocolate!
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 09:54:52 PM »
I'm not unemployed but I'm sending good vibes to all of you!

AngelicGamer

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 10:17:30 PM »
Well, I gave up my job in July as I was only getting one shift a week on Saturdays for something that I thought would be life changing.  It was but since being done with that experience in November, I haven't been able to find a job.  *shrug* So I'm working on my novel and other things with helping around the house more.  I'm very lucky that I can live with family and get SSI.  Nobody seems to be touching me either due to my BA.  Therefore, I'm looking to going back to school and seeing what I can do with that.  :)

"Life's tough, huh?  And then you die." ~ Buck, the Magnificent Seven.

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 10:58:31 PM »
Not officially unemployed.. yet.  Down to 2 days a week until the contract is signed or not (urgh, contract jobs!). But things will get better, right?  All the way around for all of us!

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2009, 11:11:04 PM »
I was laid off at the end of January - I worked for a contracting (construction) company which had been getting fewer and fewer jobs for a while.  When I started there in 2006 we had 40 guys working for us, by the time I was let go we were down to @10-12 guys.  I was kind of thinking it might happen, but didn't think it was going to be as soon as it was.

Luckily I started graduate school in January as well - it was a bit ironic because I was really worried about working full time and going to school at the same time  ::) yeah

I just had a second interview yesterday for a job I really really want.  It's what I'm going to school for, full time, benefits *and* pays more than I was making at the contracting company, close to where we live, plus flexible hours...uh yeah did I mention I really want it?

I won't know for at least a week and the waiting it alREADY killing me...lol.  Luckily for me though I was eligable for unemployment, so at the very least I will be able to pay rent etc through August.  The BF is in school full time and gets $$ from the GI Bill so we're really lucky in that regard.

The first couple of weeks weren't so bad but now I'm fairly depressed and worried about $$  :-\

Thank you auroratudor for starting this thread!

clio917

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2009, 12:32:14 AM »
Not me that's been laid off, but my husband. The company that he was working for is floundering and slowly going under. He's been out of work for a few months now with no real interviews yet. Poor guy is going stir-crazy at home  :-\ And of course, my job is starting to look unstable too... when the president of the company asks to see how much he's having to pay overhead employees (those we can't bill the clients for their time) compared to last year - and when one happens to be an overhead employee - and one at the bottom of the totem pole... Makes you a little nervous!

Luckily, with my husband's unemployment and my job, we haven't even had to touch our savings. We could very well chug along like this for a year with no real problems. And even if I lost my job, we have our savings to fall back on - but I don't want to! That's our down payment for a house. I just feel like this whole economy thing is setting back our plans a lot. I wanted a house and kids within the next few years, but if our employment isn't stable, it's not going to happen.

But I guess we have it a lot better than a lot of other people. And maybe I'm over optimistic, but I don't see this recession lasting too much longer... hopefully...

And just in case other people might not know, a provision in the recent stimulus package gives a 65% reduction in COBRA premiums to some people who were laid off after September 1, 2008. Employers are supposed to be sending out info to anyone receiving COBRA, but if they're anything like mine, they might not have sent it out yet. Here's info from the US DOL http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/COBRA.html My husband's premium dropped from over $300 to around $120

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2009, 11:27:33 AM »
Not officially unemployed.. yet.  Down to 2 days a week until the contract is signed or not (urgh, contract jobs!). But things will get better, right?  All the way around for all of us!
I interviewed last month for a contract that would be less than a day a week but pays well.  At the time I thought it would make a good side job, now I'm thinking it would be better than nothing!