Author Topic: A thread for the Unemployed  (Read 3908 times)

MeeLee

Re: A thread for the Unemployed
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2009, 11:02:30 AM »
You know, I hate being unemployed, but one positive thing is that I started to exercise more and I am taking my time to do more things while I'm still waiting. I also started doing some more volunteer work at the library. I am almost thinking of this as an opportunity to better myself. It's what is keeping me going that's for sure.

zoidberg

« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2009, 03:45:54 AM »

By the by, does anyone know whether employers prefer pdf or word documents for electronic resumes? I've read conflicting opinions about it, and I'm not sure which to send.

As an HR manager, I don't care, as long as the attachment is *one* document. Employers really don't like having to click on 5 or 6 attachements in order to print the application.

But I would always use pdf. If your potential employer is using a different version of word, opening the attachement can rip up all your formats and your application ends up looking messy. When I aply, I just copy everything into one word document and then make a pdf out of all of it, calling it "Attachment MyName".

Tiramisu

« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2009, 04:01:55 AM »
I'm unemployed in two weeks.   :(  The budget cuts at my company mean that all non-essential positions are being lost.  As I'm in business development and they don't want to / can't increase their clients anyway - I'm out.

One thing I regret - about 6 weeks ago and they offered me a different job in the same company for less pay.  I declined as I have a couple of on the side small business ventures that will probably be up and running within about 6 months so I didn't want to take on anything new, nor did I want to work my you know what off for less pay.  I also thought I would be able to find something easily(preferably part time to give me more time to work on the small business).  I know I know misplaced optimism but around here even 3 months ago there were still more jobs then there were people looking for them.

So that was 6 weeks ago and I only started looking for a job this week and it is definitely slim pickings now.

The downside is that if my BF loses his job we would more than likely lose our house eventually.  The other downside is that until I get a job we will be on one income and our lifestyle will take a step down.

The upsides are that he does have a job, we're really doing okay, we do have a home, we have our health, we have our families, we have our friends and we have our dear little dog!  And I'm here at home typing on Ehell all day because until I finish up in two weeks I'm only on three days a week so that could be an upside too!

Probably when I/we start focusing on the negatives it is because of the uncertainty - what is going to happen next....

whylime13

« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2009, 04:28:00 PM »
I had an 'interview' today.  Its for a part time job that's in my field of study but through a temp agency which normally only handles a closely related field, I've never worked with an agency before and I get the feeling they're not really sure what to do in this situation either.  Unfortunately the woman handling it all was called out of the office for an emergency so my interview was really a get dressed up and fill out paperwork situation.  Which is just as well because for some reason I waited to the last minute to print my resume and had all kinds of printer problems (which I knew about previously) so I ended up just taking the work history info I would need to fill out the application.

I'm supposed to talk to her tomorrow, so hopefully I'll know more then.

Miss Vertigo

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2009, 12:36:47 PM »
*raises hand*
Apart from the obvious money worries, the thing I'm finding hardest is structuring my day. I spend a bit of time applying for the jobs that *are* out there, then sort of lose the will to live :)
I can identify with that but losing my will to live has taken the form of watching court-TV shows.

Oh, I daren't. We only get one over here anyway - Judge Judy - but if I put my TV on I'd never go back to work again  ;D

I've got an interview on Thursday. At last! It's for a job I think would be a really good fit - local govt, six month contract, close to home, good hours, not a bad rate. I can haz finger-crossing nao plz?

SquishyMooMoo

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2009, 12:43:07 PM »
I'll be honest, I didn't do much job hunting last week--mainly because I am moving from MyCity to Boyfriend's City and looking for a job here, and I signed a lease LAST monday in BF's City and I pick up my keys/can start moving in today! So last week was spent frantically trying to get all the details nailed down on the new place/packing/etc.

There's a military fort about 25 minutes from here (BF's City; I'm sitting on his couch right now...) that I've been keeping my eye on for jobs. They seem to have some office/clerical jobs for civilians that look good to me.

I need to see if I can pick up an issue of yesterday's (Sunday's) paper, because that one has more job postings than the weekday ones.

I'm experiencing some moving issues that are frustrating, but that can go in another thread. :)

EagleEye

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2009, 01:13:44 PM »
Glad that it sounds like some people here have some good opportunities!  Good luck to all.

Now for the whining portion of my post: I do not get why neither myself nor my husband get NO BITES from our resumes.  They are both well written (and we tweak them all the time for this and that job) AND we help each other write pretty darn good cover letters.  But I am not exaggerating when I tell you again - WE GET NO RESPONSE.  I just don't get it.  We are in entirely dissimilar industries, so it's not an industry-specific thing.  And people tell us "be pro-active, call them." That's hasn't helped either (and sometimes we apply for things where the company is not stated anyway).  Also, EVERYONE we know is aware of our situation and is "trying to help" but nothing has come from any of our networking.

I feel like we are truly two of the unluckiest people right now when it comes to getting a job.  People keep telling me "Stay positive!"  Sometimes days I just can't. :(

Frozen_Flowers

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2009, 01:23:52 PM »
My FH just started his new job today, after 11 months of looking. It's his first job out of university, he had no work experience, and it was pretty tough.

I'm just finishing up my degree (I'll be done on April 30th) and so I've started applying for jobs now. So far I've only sent off two applications, and I have a list of five more promising looking jobs to apply for over the next month. I am hoping it will take me less than 11 months, as I do have some work experience. I'm already feeling a bit depressed about it though!

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2009, 02:40:26 PM »
I bit the bullet today and decided to consider permanent as well as contract jobs.  I'd really hate working permanent after being a contractor for 3 years, but contracting has dried up in my area and I'm not eligible for unemployment.  My savings are getting to a dangerous level.

EagleEye

« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2009, 07:10:29 PM »
OK I have a question for people: I have a possible interview, but it is not in my field.  A friend referred me to this company that is hiring.  Upon further research, I discovered this job is not what I want to do - I have discovered (thank God for the internet!) that despite the "helping people" thrust of the company's marketing, it is largely a sales gig.  Not only am I NOT a natural salesperson (it is quite contrary to my personality) but it also goes against my ethics to try to get people to buy product they don't need (I mean, I couldn't afford the product myself!)  But if I don't sell enough, I will make less than my unemployment checks. They offer benefits, which I need, but I also hear the benefits are expensive.

If I start working there and decide it is NOT for me, I don't think I can get my unemployment benefits back!

Now I am all about doing just about anything, but I don't want to do something that A: goes against my ethics and B: don't think I can be successful in anyway!

Any advice, Ehellions?

artisticgal

• Cats are like potato chips, you can't have just 1!
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2009, 12:07:29 AM »
I was laid off on Friday. Our company had seen sales drop by 50% over the last few months and decided to eliminate all personel deemed non-essential. Its a family owned company that's really been hit hard. The good news is that when sales pick up they said that they will be rehiring people that they laid off. So I'm hoping sales pick up soon.

For the time being I'm going to be collecting unemployment and finishing up my degree. I'm not worried right now because I know that I needed a break and that I will find another job. I finish my MBA in December and am hoping that companies will be hiring by then. 

It also feels good to spend more time at home with the cats and the dog. It also gives me a  chance to do some volunteer work. At the same time I think the cats are happy I'm home more.   I know the dog is.
Wasabi is a spicy Japanese condiment best enjoyed with sushi, and never, repeat, never enjoyed alone.

lovestoread

« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2009, 06:38:52 AM »
My job finished on Thursday (I was on holiday on the Friday).  I had an interview on Thursday, and I should hear the results today.  I was really optimistic about it, but I'm feeling less so now, as I feel I would have heard by now?  (Its lunchtime in the UK!)  Its a hard situation, as the interviewers were basically talking as if I had the job, but I know I was the first interview, and maybe they talk to everyone like that?  But fingers crossed its good news today!

Apart from that, I'm just trying to get stuff done around the house, and posting on here!  I'm catching up on a lot of reading as well.  My BF's wages can cover our bills with a little bit left over, and I have an interview tomorrow at the jobcentre to apply for my Jobseeker's Allowance, which would help to tide us over a bit.  I'm just worried about not getting a job for a while, but I'm hoping I'll pick something up!  It can be hard to stay positive though. :-[

My first real blog!!  (all comments appreciate

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2009, 07:58:48 AM »
Finished my last commitment a the end of March. I was looking before that, but haven't had many bites, and the role I was due to start is now on hold indefinitely.

I tend to spend mornings writing and then afternoons job-hunting and working on the house. On the other hand it's given me lots of time to write, submit novels and do factsheets. I got Giant Squid status yesterday, so I'm definitely spending too much time online. Other than that, it's trying to keep busy, do the house and in a money saving effort get the vege patch established. In about 6 weeks we should start geting salad stuff out - ready for June and it always tastes better if you grow your own.

MissVertigo to add to your post, we're in similar industries and I got the industry report from one of the commercial bodies I joined. Oct-Dec totalled a 20% downturn in the industry, while Jan-March was another 6% down. The only good thing is that its now April, so hopefully new budgets will be coming through.

ETA: Spelling, Spelling, one of these days I'l get it right
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 02:25:12 PM by atirial »

Oxymoroness

• I have a PhD in Crazy Math
    • Wrightbrain Design
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2009, 08:21:05 AM »
**raises hand**

I was laid off on March 24th and I'm already getting twitchy! So my plan is to learn more relevant job skills, open an online store for my beaded jewelry and catch up on all the gardening I didn't do last year because I was pregnant.

If nothing by January, I'll start applying outside my field ...  :-\

auroratudor

• In libris libertas.
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2009, 09:34:47 PM »
There is hope! I now have a job! I took the only one offered to me out of I dunno...30 attempts. Less money, not something I EVER thought I would be doing, long commute, etc. But it is a job with a paycheck and I am good at it so far!

Keeping all of you in my thoughts and wishing you all even better luck.  :)
"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." -- G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)