Author Topic: A thread for the Unemployed  (Read 3871 times)

lovestoread

Re: A thread for the Unemployed
« Reply #45 on: April 09, 2009, 04:49:05 AM »
Congratulations auroratudor!! ;D

My first real blog!!  (all comments appreciate

SquishyMooMoo

« Reply #46 on: April 21, 2009, 01:07:18 AM »
I got called today for an interview! Originally they wanted to do 8:30 tomorrow morning (yikes--short notice and EARLY!) and I agreed, but they called back because one of the people who was supposed to conduct interviews can't do it now, so they had to re-schedule around the new person's schedule. Now it's Thursday at 2:15. Much better... I'll have plenty of time to be awake, get beautified, and settle my nerves!

It's a job with the city, and when I told my boyfriend he asked the names of the people who were going to interview me. Turns out that the new person is the mother of one of his best friends! I may have to do a bit of name dropping. ;)

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #47 on: April 21, 2009, 07:48:08 AM »
I'm finally getting called for interviews but yesterday's was depressing.  It was a phone interview with HR, who went back to my first job in the industry 18 years ago and was grilling me on my projects and decisions back then (like I can remember my thought processes when I was 23 ha ha).  I tried to speed her along to get to my qualifications for the current job.  The interview was really a throwback to the 1980s.  I can't remember the last time that HR was involved in any interview I had.  If they like me, their plan is to have me come in for THREE in-person interviews. although the recruiter has been trying to reduce that.  For comparison, I was offered my last two contract jobs with no interview.  Boy the times are changed.

Oh well, have an interview with another company next Monday, and a couple of other 'possibles' in the pipeline.

McCutieBelle

« Reply #48 on: April 21, 2009, 01:18:25 PM »
It looks like I have 2 jobs now :) one is nearly full time, with full time hours and more money coming in a couple of months, but it is in my field so I can't complain. Although I am making the same amount as I was when I was laid off and hoping I could make more, but it is a job, with a good company, in my field SO no complaints are being made by Funnygal or she would have to go to Ehell! ETA-the reason I mentioned the money was because when I first starting talking to the company a while back they quoted a different amount of pay...but it was not for entry level, it was for when I had been there  couple of months and I misunderstood.

I am also going to take a part time job at a restaurant at nights and on the weekends for extra money. I found I like hostessing and I didn't think I would!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 01:59:16 PM by FunnyGal799 »
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

kiwigirl

« Reply #49 on: April 21, 2009, 02:08:38 PM »

Now for the whining portion of my post: I do not get why neither myself nor my husband get NO BITES from our resumes.  They are both well written (and we tweak them all the time for this and that job) AND we help each other write pretty darn good cover letters.  But I am not exaggerating when I tell you again - WE GET NO RESPONSE.  I just don't get it.  We are in entirely dissimilar industries, so it's not an industry-specific thing.  And people tell us "be pro-active, call them." That's hasn't helped either (and sometimes we apply for things where the company is not stated anyway).  Also, EVERYONE we know is aware of our situation and is "trying to help" but nothing has come from any of our networking.

I feel like we are truly two of the unluckiest people right now when it comes to getting a job.  People keep telling me "Stay positive!"  Sometimes days I just can't. :(

I am having the same problem!  I really think that having a BA is hurting me in my area. I was laid off in September and  looked for work then, and really kicked it into high gear when H filed for divorce in Feb.  There is nothing out there and companies dont seem to want to touch people with degrees. 

Oxymoroness

• I have a PhD in Crazy Math
    • Wrightbrain Design
« Reply #50 on: April 21, 2009, 05:00:22 PM »
I actually got my first rejection letter today ... is it sad that I'm thrilled that I'm happy that I got my first response?  ::)  :P  :'(

More and more its looking like freelancing is the way to go for me ...

Xanthia, Maker of fine Tin-foil hats since 2007

• Xanthia the Great
« Reply #51 on: April 21, 2009, 05:17:33 PM »
I was laid off in October, it has been slim pickins here.  I finally got another interview based on a resume' i sent in about a month ago, and a original phine call I got about 2 weeks ago.  It looks like it will be temp to perm, hope it is not a bunch of hooey.  FINGERS CROSSED!

whylime13

« Reply #52 on: April 21, 2009, 06:08:39 PM »
I actually got my first rejection letter today ... is it sad that I'm thrilled that I'm happy that I got my first response?  ::)  :P  :'(

More and more its looking like freelancing is the way to go for me ...

me too - i thought it was nice to hear from them at all - I was starting to wonder about my computer literacy and if these companies were getting my online apps at all.

Does anyone have info or resources on how to downplay advanced degree or experience on a resume?  I'd like to apply for part time jobs such as file clerk, library page, or cashier - I've done those jobs before and would do well in those fields (as long as its not full time I do enjoy the work) but my resume is all about my degree in a specialized healthcare area and I'm not sure how to fix it. 

Lisbeth

• I am a rock, I am an island
  • A Pillar of the Forum
  • a/k/a KeenReader
« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2009, 08:18:11 PM »
It happened to me yesterday...I started a thread about it.

I'm planning to make a career change by not seeking full-time public accounting work.  I may accept an accounting job in industry, although it doesn't really appeal to me.  Instead, I plan to concentrate on editing and writing.
I'm away from sanity right now...please leave a message after the beep.
NYC

McCutieBelle

« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2009, 11:41:40 AM »
I spoke too soon...now the one company has said I am too over qualified for entry level after offering me a job...so that job is gone. My restaurant job is still up in the air...so I went from 2 to none. I have been working REALLY hard for the past year since I lost my job and really I would love a bit of good luck, I know no one owes me anything but it seems like the people around me have fantastic luck and grea things happen with very little work involved. Yet I am trying SO hard and getting nowhere.
"Life's like an hour glass glued to the table and no one can find the rewind button boy. So cradle your head in your hands and breathe"

EagleEye

« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2009, 03:23:07 PM »
I spoke too soon...now the one company has said I am too over qualified for entry level after offering me a job...so that job is gone. My restaurant job is still up in the air...so I went from 2 to none. I have been working REALLY hard for the past year since I lost my job and really I would love a bit of good luck, I know no one owes me anything but it seems like the people around me have fantastic luck and grea things happen with very little work involved. Yet I am trying SO hard and getting nowhere.

Oh my gosh, are you me FunnyGal799?  I feel the same way these days. You are not alone!!!

SquishyMooMoo

« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2009, 04:02:21 PM »
Just got home from a job interview. I think it went pretty well. :) They talked about calling me to schedule some computer testing, and it's a bonus that I have some training on the newest version of Microsoft Office. So... fingers are crossed! I treated myself to a Sonic happy-hour Coke afterward... I've been very good about not spending money eating out this week, but I figured I could afford a $0.91 treat! :)

• Xanthia the Great
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2009, 07:29:47 PM »
I was laid off in October, it has been slim pickins here.  I finally got another interview based on a resume' i sent in about a month ago, and a original phine call I got about 2 weeks ago.  It looks like it will be temp to perm, hope it is not a bunch of hooey.  FINGERS CROSSED!

Got the job!  Today was my second day, it is a HUGE pay cut, but more than unemployment!

MDefarge

• Formerly known as Irishone
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2009, 07:43:48 PM »

Got the job!  Today was my second day, it is a HUGE pay cut, but more than unemployment!

Congrats!

I found out on Monday that I did *not* get my dream job so I've been pretty bummed all week...at least my unemployment doesn't run out till the end of July as long as we stick to our budget I should be able to make it stretch for awhile.

• Xanthia the Great
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2009, 08:01:57 PM »
Congrats!

I found out on Monday that I did *not* get my dream job so I've been pretty bummed all week...at least my unemployment doesn't run out till the end of July as long as we stick to our budget I should be able to make it stretch for awhile.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!