Author Topic: A thread for the Unemployed  (Read 3829 times)

SquishyMooMoo

Re: A thread for the Unemployed
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2009, 10:26:06 PM »
I got called today by the people I interviewed with yesterday. They said that I was "one of the lucky ones" to get to the next round, and they want me to come in Monday morning to do some computer skill evaluations. Whee!

auroratudor

• In libris libertas.
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2009, 11:04:57 PM »
Does anyone have info or resources on how to downplay advanced degree or experience on a resume?  I'd like to apply for part time jobs such as file clerk, library page, or cashier - I've done those jobs before and would do well in those fields (as long as its not full time I do enjoy the work) but my resume is all about my degree in a specialized healthcare area and I'm not sure how to fix it. 

I have a BA and MA in a liberal art and right now work a $9 an hour part time job. Basically, I put my degrees on my resume to fill in employment gaps but I don't expand on them. Just College Name, Dates Attended, Degree Earned. Then I tailor the job experience to the job I am applying for. For example, I was making a good wage as a director at a non-profit. However, I also answered phones and covered for the receptionist in our very small office. If I applied for a front desk job I would leave out every thing else I did and only include the reception aspect of it.
"Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese." -- G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

Bellantara

• Normal is a setting on the washing machine.
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2009, 11:13:16 PM »
I've been unemployed since January. I'm a paralegal with 5 years experience, and have applied for more jobs than I can remember, but have only gotten three interviews and no offers out of it.  :(

EffervescentToast

« Reply #63 on: April 25, 2009, 02:27:07 PM »
I was injured on the job and unable to work for over 6 months. I will never be able to go back to my original field. It was really hard and I was unable to find a job that I could physically do. I finally broke down and contacted every business owner/manager I had ever met, friends, family, acquaintances, even some strangers and very explicitly explained my situation and that I need to gain some experience, even temporarily, in a new field. It felt like I told the whole world how I was struggling which was really tough thing to admit. From this I received some great advice/contacts and a few offers. I now have lots of experience and a wayyy better job then I could have ever imagined. If you are Canadian there are lots of government programs through Service Canada you can take advantage of to gain experience or start a business of your own.

Moral of the story: get the world out that you are actively looking! You never know who will have a lead for you and with the tough job market it is helpful to have a personal connection even if it is a very casual acquaintance or friend-of-a-friend.

sbtier

• Super Hero!
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2009, 03:21:02 PM »
I had my 2nd interview (of 4 planned) Thursday and it went pretty well.  Have a phone interview with another company on Monday, for a work-at-home consulting position that pays well, wouldn't that be nice?

happygrrl

• Happy Girlie OI OI OI
« Reply #65 on: April 25, 2009, 06:27:09 PM »
I'm planning to make a career change by not seeking full-time public accounting work.  I may accept an accounting job in industry, although it doesn't really appeal to me.  Instead, I plan to concentrate on editing and writing.

KeenReader, me, too!  :D I am now a retired CPA (well, my position was eliminated in Jan), so I've decided to go back to school to become an RN. It's something I've wanted to do for a while, so I think now is the time to go for it!!
"I am the laziest person on Earth. I want to learn to photosynthesize so I can buy a sun lamp and survive without getting out of bed."  M-theory 11/23/10

Sleepingmediocre

« Reply #66 on: April 25, 2009, 11:46:21 PM »
Back in September, I quit my courthouse job (one I'd had for five years but had to leave due to an extremely unpleasant co-worker who had a mysterious hold over the boss and literally devoted a large chunk of her day every day to making me miserable) to go work at my dream job, doing research for oil and gas companies in south Texas.  I got to drive all over the place, see beautiful towns and research records that were over a hundred years old.  My gas, meals and lodging were all paid for, plus I made as much in a week as I'd made at the courthouse in a month.  I planned to work at that job for several years.  It was going to pay off all my debts and give me enough of a nest egg that I could go to graduate school or do whatever else I wanted to do when I got out.

Six weeks later, the market crashed, the price of oil dropped through the floor, and my bosses sent me home with a "Don't call us.  We'll call you."   :(  They haven't called, and every time I call them, they tell me the prospects aren't good.

A few weeks after that, my landlords got a job on the other side of the state, moved, and put my house up for sale.

Now I'm working two part-time jobs--one for a friend who owns a video company, doing some videography and watching his store for him, and one doing research in courthouses in my area.  Unfortunately, the research job is all but nonexistent--I haven't done any serious work in it since January.  I'm at least working in videography, but the jobs are few and far between--usually only one or two a month, and they often only last for two hours or less (I'm paid per hour).  There's money coming in, but it isn't enough to pay the bills anymore, and my savings from the oil and gas job are slowly running out.  I'm trying to cut costs everywhere I can--I don't have cable TV, I negotiated a lower rate on my credit card, I'm switching car insurance companies, and I'm planning on dropping my landline and using my cell phone--but even with less money going out, there's so little coming IN that I'm very, very worried right now.  Plus, at any minute someone could buy my house from my landlords, and if the new landlord decides they don't want me in the house then I have no choice but to find another place.  Oh, and did I mention that my former boss and unpleasant former co-worker are running all over town cackling about how the mighty have fallen and how it serves me right for daring to quit?   >:(

There is a silver lining to this cloud--I've been able to spend a lot more time doing things that I love, like going to the gym and spending time volunteering at church.  But I sure would like some steady work, or at least one more part-time job that brings some money in!  Please keep your fingers crossed for me, and if you know anyone who would like some courthouse research done in Texas, let me know.   ;)

Craftyone

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2013, 05:16:14 PM »
I was thinking last night about starting an unemployment thread to get other people's experiences and I came across this thread.
B/G we moved from Perth West Australia to Canberra (our nation's capital). My husband got his dream job and moved at the beginning of 2012, I stayed in our Perth house with the fur kids until we knew he loved it and he was made permanent. All good so we sold/bought houses, moved everything over but because it was late Oct by then and DH wanted to come back for Christmas I stayed with a friend then my brother and kept working. So I moved at the beginning of Jan this year. I've walked into the worse job market in several years. They're planning it's burial! Even temp work is scarce. We're fine to pay bills, mortgage etc but any vacations (even overnight trips to Sydney) and renovations (that aren't life threatening but still needed) are nixed at the moment, we're fine as long as we're careful. Our relationship is great, DH said he'd rather me not working and with him than working but the other side of the country.  I've had a few interviews and just got beaten on one. I don't have any friends here yet but I'm happy with my own company, the craft group that I'd like to join meets weekdays during the day so no good, there's anothe craft one but it's not my main craft so I'm dithering whether to shell out joining money on something I'm not that into just to meet people (can you tell I'm a hermit LOL). End B/G

So how did any of the previous posters go in the long term? And what's current "resting" people's experiences? I've got plenty to do with gardening and painting the guest bedroom, but I just want to work so my enthusiasm is low. I thought about volunteering but not knowing when I might work I can't commit to something regular (one of the temp agencies said they're expecting the market to pick up soon, fingers crossed).

This isn't a whine or I need a hug. I'm a glass half full person and though I've had my downs (crying I'm never going to find work again, EVER!)  ::) it doesn't last long.

So fire away.....

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 08:22:55 PM by Craftyone »