News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 12, 2017, 08:20:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: That's definately an "interesting assumption"...  (Read 3408 times)

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
That's definately an "interesting assumption"...
« on: March 27, 2009, 02:38:12 PM »
For background on my mom, here's 2 other posts:
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=12107.msg245664#msg245664
http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=40732.0

I have a severe sinus infection.  I was out of work for 2 days this week...  Mom called me last night and I started off with telling her I really couldn't talk long because it makes my throat scratchy & sends me into coughing fits which sends me into raging headache mode.  Her response?  "Well, I heard that pot smokers always catch colds in the summer because it damages your respiratory system."

:o

#1  I do not smoke pot  (or anything else for that matter)
#2  It's March.  It's not summer, not even in Atlanta.

This would normally start a long argument between us resulting in her not calling me for months; however, you guys must be wearing off on me because I calmly responded with "Interesting.....  Look mom, I'm really not feeling up to a conversation - can I call you later?"   Of course, "later" would be "not for a good long while so I can calm down", but I didn't need to tell her that....
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 04:09:10 PM by BookAddict »

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

MelofOdd

Re: That's definately an "interesting assumption"...
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 04:07:26 PM »
   Holy JEEZ!! My jaw just dropped. I am so sorry so so sorry. I too have a sinus infection currently and feel pretty wretched. Good for you for taking the high road though. *much hugs*

Bibliophile

• May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 04:10:25 PM »
Thanks MelofOdd - it was just so very "out there", but sometimes that's just normal for her so...

“Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.” ~ Groucho Marx

MelofOdd

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 04:42:51 PM »
   It is a very out there thing to say. Especially considering there are a lot of people with compromised immune systems who get sick this time of year. My DD2 is currently pretty sick thanks to seasonal allergies. She has got a very raspy cold and she's never ever been around pot. So it's just odd to me that she would jump to POT use of all things.

I hope you feel better soon sweetheart

HeebyJeebyLeebee

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 05:18:59 PM »
Are you a long lost sister of mine?  Sounds like my Mom has a 2nd family she's hidden from me.

HUGS!  My mom has a poor brain to mouth filter too.  She once asked me if I was pregnant after I had major surgery because I was bloated.  Unfortunately, the painkiller's temporarily eliminated my brain to mouth filter too and I said many things that weren't EHell approved.   :-[

It's pollen season where I am.  Everyone's allergies are haywire, and every car has turned a little yellow with the dust.  I wouldn't be surprised if that's making your infection worse. 
I am grateful for the friends I have made on EHell and everything I have learned, but it is time I move on.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 09:06:55 PM »
What left field did THAT come out of? 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata