Author Topic: Dojo Etiquette  (Read 5262 times)

RobinduBois

Re: Dojo Etiquette
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2009, 05:28:19 AM »
When adjusting your uniform, turn away from higher ranks and, more importantly, from the flags, to show respect.

If you'll forgive the slight digression; what flags are displayed in a dojo?
I'm just curious.  (My only experience of dojos is for Ju-Jitsu, and no flags were involved).

Thanks,

Robin

G'sMom

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2009, 10:54:35 AM »
My experience is the country flag as well as the flag of the state, and of the country of origin of the art you practice

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2009, 09:02:06 PM »
My experience is the country flag as well as the flag of the state, and of the country of origin of the art you practice

In the dojangs and dojos I have been to, the flag of your country is displayed, as well as the flag of the origin of the art studied in that studio. 

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2009, 04:59:38 PM »
If the instructor doesn't have a problem with someone dropping behind and stopping an activity it isn't most belts place to scold them. I has having a problem with controlling my asthma - a rare occurrence. Finally figured out it was the perfume a new student was wearing. The top belts knew what was going on - as long as I signaled I was ok they let me do things at a lower level.

On the flip side I had some of "my students" from public school in my TKD class. When one of them had an asthma attack and her mother wasn't there - I ran to the locker room, dumped out her bag to find her inhale and grabbed my phone because I knew I had Mom's cell phone number in it.

Another time at a different studio after moving to Houston - I was in a mixed class with young kids. It was the only one at a time I could take.  A boy was holding up two fingers - and when then instructor said yes he took off running. I couldn't help cracking up at the facial expressions of the instructor and older students. I told the poor instructor that the 2 fingers thing was used in a popular classroom management book to signal you need to use the bathroom.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future