Author Topic: Workplace etiquette  (Read 38619 times)

KitFox

Re: Workplace etiquette
« Reply #90 on: June 10, 2009, 02:31:11 PM »

Please dont bring your unhealthy germs to work.  If youre sick stay home.  If you come to work  ill  theres  a high  probablility that someone else will get sick because of you.

POD POD POD and did I say POD?  A manager of another department where my mom and I work came to work really, really sick once and got my mom sick.  She got me sick, I got my stepdad sick and a some people at school sick before I got sick. (contagious before symptoms...)

In this vein...

If you are a manager, do not require sick people to come to work. If for no other reason than the lost productivity as the plague spreads around the office, causing the entire department to be "half" here for 3 to 10 days while they recover from their colds.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #91 on: June 10, 2009, 02:33:34 PM »
Addendum to KitFox's post:

If you are a manager, do not set a poor example for your subordinates by coming in sick yourself.  You may be a workaholic, but doing this sends a message to your subordinates that this will be expected of them as well.

sarita

• Pur Autre Vie
« Reply #92 on: June 10, 2009, 05:51:17 PM »
Addendum to the speaker phone:  Please don't listen to your voicemail over the speaker.  Also, when on hold for the helpdesk, please don't put the hold music on speaker.  I know the wait is horrendous, but sound really carries and it makes it difficult for your co-workers to hear their own phone conversations.

Also, when having a business related discussion in the aisles of the cube farm, please try to keep the volume as low as possible.  Your co-workers may be on the phone with a customer who shouldn't be privy to that information.

ch1pch0p

« Reply #93 on: June 10, 2009, 07:32:28 PM »
Addendum to the speaker phone:  Please don't listen to your voicemail over the speaker.  Also, when on hold for the helpdesk, please don't put the hold music on speaker.  I know the wait is horrendous, but sound really carries and it makes it difficult for your co-workers to hear their own phone conversations.

I think this depends on the volume of your speaker and your office set-up. I could listen/use my phone on speaker all day long, and it wouldn't bother anyone because of where my office is. I think a better guideline would be:

Be aware of your surroundings and if you're possibly disturbing anyone else who's trying to work or hold conversation.

Mahdoumi

« Reply #94 on: June 10, 2009, 09:53:49 PM »
If youre having a bad day  don't take it out on workmates or customers.

Please dont swear in front of customers/clients

Remember your manners  (please, thankyou, excuse me)

Smell fresh and clean EVERY day

Keep your bad habits at home

Dont disrupt others

Dont contradict other staffmembers/colleagues  in front of clients/customers

Keep your voice to a reasonable level.

Remember that not everyone wants to hear you whistle, crack knuckles, snort, tap feet etc

Please dont bring your unhealthy germs to work.  If youre sick stay home.  If you come to work  ill  theres  a high  probablility that someone else will get sick because of you.

Welcome new staff members.

Dont spread gossip

Dont listen to gossip

Perfect, Petal!  And I'd like to add:

Please keep the volume of your radio low enough that the next desk can't hear it, and please don't slap your feet and hum along with the tune.

(Cass, I appreciate the favor, but if you wouldn't mind PMing me about what was crude about the original post, I would appreciate it.  I don't understand and don't want to make the same mistake, again.)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:24:01 PM by Mahdoumi »

Nannerdoman

• Mistress of the trivial and arcane.
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2009, 12:04:12 PM »
If youre having a bad day  don't take it out on workmates or customers.

Please dont swear in front of customers/clients

Remember your manners  (please, thankyou, excuse me)

Smell fresh and clean EVERY day

Keep your bad habits at home

Dont disrupt others

Dont contradict other staffmembers/colleagues  in front of clients/customers

Keep your voice to a reasonable level.

Remember that not everyone wants to hear you whistle, crack knuckles, snort, tap feet etc

Welcome new staff members.

Dont spread gossip

Dont listen to gossip

Please keep the volume of the country music coming out of your radio low, and don't slap your feet and hum along. 

Okay.  That was snarky.  I'm tired after three years of XTU.

Deleted part of post because I'm sure the OP didn't mean to sound crude. Consider it a favor.

Yeah, that was snarky.  So if you're listening to heavy metal it's okay to have the volume up, but I'd better turn Johnny Cash way low?
I'm the grammarian against whom your mother warned you.

Mahdoumi

« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2009, 12:21:45 PM »

Please keep the volume of the country music coming out of your radio low, and don't slap your feet and hum along. 

Deleted part of post because I'm sure the OP didn't mean to sound crude. Consider it a favor.

Yeah, that was snarky.  So if you're listening to heavy metal it's okay to have the volume up, but I'd better turn Johnny Cash way low?
[/quote]

No, no.  Part of my post was deleted regarding me listening to my Arabic music without headphones and such.  I should probably just modify the post entirely, and I'm sorry for the offense.

Nannerdoman

• Mistress of the trivial and arcane.
« Reply #97 on: June 11, 2009, 01:43:04 PM »

No, no.  Part of my post was deleted regarding me listening to my Arabic music without headphones and such.  I should probably just modify the post entirely, and I'm sorry for the offense.
[/quote]

No problem.  Perhaps just modify to "make certain the music you enjoy doesn't disturb your co-workers"?  We country fans get made fun of a lot.  Makes us a tad defensive.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 04:42:15 PM by Nannerdoman »
I'm the grammarian against whom your mother warned you.

Mahdoumi

« Reply #98 on: June 11, 2009, 02:48:42 PM »

No problem.  Perhaps just modify to "make certain the music you enjoy doesn't distrub your co-workers"?  We country fans get made fun of a lot.  Makes us a tad defensive.

I did change it almost verbatim to your suggestion.  I only used country music as the example because that's the music being played two desks away from me.  Had I thought this through, ANY music would be a distraction for me, personally, so I now realize that singling out one genre wasn't fair.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #99 on: June 24, 2009, 02:50:32 PM »
One piercing in each earlobe is okay, right?

That depends on the office.  I know people with visible piercings all over their nose, lips and brows.  Many of those have "professional" jobs.  Frankly, I don't care what is pierced as long as the work is done well.

The only time I have ever seen a prohibition on piercings was in prison (previous employment, not lifestyle ;))

And the military.  Mr. Sirius was told to not shave his head by one supervisor (he's nearly bald) but was allowed to shave his head by another supervisor.  So that's how he had to go. 

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2012, 12:54:25 PM »
I know this thread is 'old' but it's still quite valid & full of helpful info. I found this & felt that is was worthy to post here:
http://www.moolanomy.com/6038/office-etiquette-7-office-faux-pas-to-avoid-mmarquit01/

gen xer

« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2012, 08:32:27 PM »

Nobody likes a rat!!!  Don't tattle.  It is not your concern if your coworker was late to work, took a long lunch or otherwise did anything you disapprove of.  You are not the morals police.

Unless something is directly impacting your job ( in which case you should take it up with the other party first if possible ) or is an actual danger / threat....then shut up and mind your own business.