Author Topic: Foods you've learned to love?  (Read 4223 times)

minnaloushe

Foods you've learned to love?
« on: April 20, 2007, 06:12:51 PM »
We've covered preferences, what foods we like and dislike, and so forth, but I'm interested to know what foods you have grown into loving?

Back in the dark ages, (a.k.a. 70's-80's) our first Japanese Sushi Restaurant. I think the gentleman that opened it was the one that invented the California Roll, but I'm not 100%

Anyway, I hated it. Didn't like the idea of raw fish, didn't like the seaweed (that slimy stuff that washes up on the beach? Blech!) and fish eggs? That's BAIT!

Now I eat it every week, sometimes twice. Can't make it through without a Negitoro Roll. It helps to live on the west coast, but...

Same with Cabbage rolls.  I used to hate the slimy things, then moved on to a take it or leave it, now I crave them, and DH (who was "blessed" with a mother that made Saurcraut) can't stand the smell of cabbage, so I only get to eat them as a treat when he's away.

Anyone else?

taralee

• Just happy to be here
    • TheQuiltingSpot
Re: Foods you've learned to love?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 08:23:44 PM »
Well, becoming vegetarian makes you learn to love things that you probably hated as a child :) I was never big on beans (something about the texture, I think) -- now I adore them, especially pinto beans, and black beans. Tofu/soy was disgusting when I first tried it; now it's a staple. And as far as vegetables, I never ate anywhere near as many as I should have...I obviously get a lot more now. I ADORE broccoli and spinach (hated both of them as a kid). I probably eat broccoli every day -- I add it to everything that I can. I'm slowly learning to like mushrooms, though I wouldn't say that I love them yet.

Can't abide eggplant. Just...no.
Come check out my quilting website: http://www.thequiltingspot.com

Ondine

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2007, 09:24:45 PM »
When I was a kid, I did not like beet borscht. Now I love the stuff, and I'm hoping I can learn to make it. I also hated liver as a kid, but a couple years ago, I learned to like it when it was spiced, coated in razor cut oats, and called "imitation haggis." :)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2007, 09:40:37 PM »
LOL!  When I read the title of this thread, my immediate thought was sushi.  Looks like I'm not the only one who finally tried it and loved it. :)

I SWORE I hated pate'.  Did not want it near me.  Ick.  Finally, my mom said, "How do you know you don't like it?  You've never even tried it."  I tried a tiny bite to prove to her how much I hated it.  Ended up eating the rest of everyone else's!  Mmmmmm....still don't like liver and onions.  But, a good pate'?  Yum!

Nonsequitur

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2007, 10:07:20 PM »
I loved liver and onions as a child, until the day I saw liver before it was cooked.  Never could get back into it.

Anyway, yes sushi was one for me, though I took to it fairly quickly.  We have a local chain with a lot of sushi for beginners, such as California rolls, vegetarian rolls, and tempura creations.  I took to the seaweed immediately.  I stll don't do eel, though after this time I assume it's just because I don't like it.

I didn't like lobster, until I'd had a really good one.  Wowie.  Now I'll eat it if the places specializes in seafood and I think it serves enough lobster to have it fresh.

I hated spinach, because back in elementary school our spinach was served as a dark, steamy pile of smelly, stringy, green stuff.  I now love it, having eating it in many other ways.

The first time I ate mole (that's two syllables, not one - it's not the burrowing animal) in Mexico, I thought it was pretty weird.  The second time I was all but licking the sauce off my empty plate.

Unlike a lot of children, I always liked broccoli, asparagus, Brussels sprouts, and cabbage.  My friends still can't believe how much cabbage I eat.

I always hated mayonaise, until I tasted real mayonaise on a turkey sandwich and was hooked.  I found out what I had always thought was mayonaise, what everybody in my family called mayonaise, was really Miracle Whip (which has its uses, but not as an all-purpose mayo stand-in).

Chocolate Cake

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2007, 10:39:26 PM »
Up until the 6th grade, I hated pineapple.  After I had some again, I couldn't believe how good it was and how I had wasted all those years.

sandy

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 11:04:32 PM »
i was never a picky eater, so admittedly i didnt have to acquire a taste for most foods, I just kind of like almost anything except most seafood, raw fish, the expensive kind of lettuce that is more like weeds, and spicy food, (savory or mildly spicy is ok)
the few things i liked later on in life after having them again are-

beets,
tofu
eggplant   although I am not craving  them, I like em okay, but won't sneak them out of the fridge at midnight like i might chocalate cake!! ;)

EvilAlice

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2007, 11:13:39 PM »
I always detested asparagus.  Because the kind that I was (very rarely, because it was expensive) fed as a child was slimy canned GREEN asparagus.

OK I have weird taste buds and things that taste too GREEN really trip my taste buds in a bad way.  I tell people I hate the taste of chlorophyll and I'm probably joking but there's something to the GREENness of foods.

Anyway not that long ago a friend cooked some asparagus at home and everyone was raving about it and I tried it and LOVED it.  It was fresh and I think they cooked it in the oven instead of slopping it in a saucepan and boiling the heck out of it like my mom did. 

It was GOOD.  I even bought some shortly after to try to do the same thing but I forgot- I can't cook.  I ended up throwing it away.

But if anyone ever wants to feed it to me again, I'm game!

Jaywalker

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2007, 12:27:33 AM »
try stir frying the asparagus in butter -- in one inch lengths -- really good and quick to make

for me it is cilantro -- I hated it originally but now really like it -- like many 'foreign' spices and herbs it is an acquired taste -

Evil Duckie

• This is not the duck you are looking for
    • My dragon scroll
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2007, 12:32:11 AM »
I also hated asparagus. It was because I always served canned asparagus and had been boiled to death or in a cheese cracker, cream of soup casserole. :-X

When I move away from home I was invited over the dinner and was served fresh asparagus and it was wonderful. I cook it regularly while it is in season. I cook it different ways: grill it, steam it, stirfry it, broil it.

I still hate canned asparagus though.

megswsu

• "You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Asia"
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 12:28:12 PM »
As a child I was a picky eater, and today still am (though I like to refer to myself as a 'selective eater'  ;) ). Hubby loves to give me a hard time about it.  But I have started branching out and trying things I once did not like.

-Bell pepers, cooked onions, yogurt to name a few
-Count me in on trying sushi after DH convinced me to try it. Now I LOVE it, unfortunately we don't eat it enough.

Still do not like beets, asparagus or zucchini. Yuck!!

But my one staple I've loved...artichokes. Yummmy.

magicdomino

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 12:36:14 PM »
Sweet potatoes.  I hated sweet potatoes when I was a kid.  Strictly speaking, I still hate sweet potatoes -- if they are the canned things that my mother used to serve.  Sometimes they were packed in syrup, sometimes dry, but they were always nasty.  For holidays, it was mashed canned sweet potatoes mixed with canned pineapple and burnt marshmallows.   :P

Plain baked sweet potato with a little butter and salt?  I am so there.   :)  Even sweet potato casseroles if they don't call for a lot of sugar.  I always volunteer to bring sweet potatoes for holiday dinners, just so I can be sure of avoiding the canned pineapple and burnt marshmallow travesties.

By the way, pineapple is another thing I love, as long as it isn't canned.

Summrs

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 12:41:48 PM »
We were always exposed to a lot due to traveling, so the only thing I can really think of is sour cream.

Maybe it's just the child's palate grown up, but I never liked it, ever.  Then one day after work when I was in my 20's, a group of us adjourned across the street for drinks.  Potato skins were a new thing then, and I bit the bullet and tried them with the sour cream.  YUM.  Still can't handle yogurt, though, so maybe it's a mental thing. 

Telmereth

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 12:50:22 PM »
For me it's mushrooms. I refused to eat them all the way through my childhood, mostly based on their texture and the fact they 'tasted like dirt'... ;D
Then I started working in a pub kitchen. At the end of a busy shift the chef would make a large batch of his special fried, breaded mushrooms for the kitchen staff. I was persuaded to try them and have since been hooked on mushrooms in all guises!

minnaloushe

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2007, 12:59:32 PM »
My mother used to make Liver and Onions.  She said she could never make it as good as her mother, I thought she must be right because that stuff was terrible! But I hate the texture of it, so if it's chopped like a liverwurst, pate, or sausage, I'm fine.

All the talk about canned veggies has me craving some good old mushy peas.  When we lived up north in the early 70's that's all you could get, except for a few weeks in the summer when someone would do a farm run and come back with some "fresh" corn.

Fish as well.  Mom grew up in Ontario, and you can't eat fish out of the lake.  She'd occasionally make a fish dinner that was edible, but most of the time it was just fishy.  Now my DH and FIL go Salmon and Halibut fishing every year and come back with 60 -80 lbs of freakin' fish each.  I've learned to cook and love the taste of really fresh fish. And how to fix slightly freezer burned fish.

Oh and eggplant! I didn't think anyone could make that stuff taste good. If it's not prepared properly it tastes really watery and blech, but if you salt the flesh and let drain for about a half hour you draw out lots of the water and it leaves the meat lovely and firm. Took me a couple years to find good eggplant recipes, now I can't wait for the tiny baby Japanese eggplants to come into season again!

DH said he didn't like Aspergrass (and I'm not calling it anything else, thankyou) until we BBQ'ed it. Something about the flames and the charring brings out the nutty sweetness.  He's been bugging me lately as it's coming into season again and that's what made me think of this topic.