Author Topic: Foods you've learned to love?  (Read 3961 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: Foods you've learned to love?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2007, 01:53:40 PM »
Plain baked sweet potato with a little butter

That's what I had for supper last night as a matter of fact! :D  And, it was delicious!!!  Unfortunately, it was also my last one, so I don't have one for tonight. :(

KenveeB

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2007, 02:00:12 PM »
I flat-out couldn't eat broccoli for years.  When I was little, the day care lady forced us to eat her nasty, slimy broccoli.  We'd leave it sitting on the plate until it was cold and congealed, but we'd still have to eat it.  She told us to just hold our nose and we wouldn't taste it.  Bleargh!!  It was years before I could touch it again.  I started having it mixed into things, like broccoli-rice casserole, and found myself enjoying it.  I finally tried some steamed, and it was delicious.  I have it at least once a week now!

Oddly, as a child I really enjoyed fish.  Now that I'm grown, I can't stand fix, period.  I like crab, but that's the only seafood I can bring myself to touch.  I have no idea what changed my taste buds on that!

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2007, 02:14:07 PM »
We've covered preferences, what foods we like and dislike, and so forth, but I'm interested to know what foods you have grown into loving?

Curry. When I was growing up the closest we ever came to was Vesta curry, out of a packet. Yeurk! My first curry at university was a korma from the takeaway. That was terrible. Eventually I got the hang of eating korma, then rogan josh, but I've never like anything with more cumin in then tikka marsala. Of course, this is British curry.

Chili. My uncle used to make it very hot. My husband introduced me to it. I liked it very mild at first but I've sort of got the hang of it. Only up to normal now.

Red wine. I got into this via a nice merlot. Also port - once I'd tried a good port I could drink the cheaper stuff.

Fish. My mother used to serve cod occasionally, which i still don't like. I love tuna, and I adore smoked salmon and an Arbroath smokey.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2007, 02:34:22 PM »
The last post reminded me of this.

I don't drink a lot.  But, I will, occasionally, drink a glass of wine.  I would only drink white wine.  I couldn't stand the red.

Finally, Dad said, "the reason you don't like red wine is that you've never had a GOOD red wine.  You need to try a good one."

Since then, I'll only drink red (and good ones, at that!).  I can't remember the last time I had a white - ick!

Emmy

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2007, 03:37:35 PM »
Swiss cheese
Mushrooms
Tomatoes (I learned to like them by eating them on sandwiches)

Buffy2424

« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2007, 04:45:15 PM »
Nuts.  Up until early adulthood, they were tasteless and all the same to me.  Now I love them and appreciate different nuts in different dishes.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2007, 04:46:05 PM »
Mushrooms and black olives. Don't think I tried either of them until my early 20s.  I'd always wanted to try sushi, but the opportunity just presented itself recently.  LOVE it. Can't stand the eel, but DD (10) LOVES the stuff.

minnaloushe

« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2007, 05:17:17 PM »
Swiss cheese
Mushrooms

Yeah, tomatoes!  I HATED them until I was 17 and a BF picked one from his mother's HP garden, cut it in half and sprinkled a little salt and a dash of pepper on it and begged me to try. It was the perfect tomato (I've come to learn), juicy and sweet and delicious. 

RoseRose

« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2007, 06:47:53 PM »
Broccoli.

Then I tried it steamed with rice and soy sauce.  SO good.

I grew up liking basically everything, and eating what I tried, though... so no good stories.

My little brother HATED ice cream as a little kid, and finally started eating it in his preteens.

cocacola35

« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2007, 10:14:28 AM »
Count me in on the tomatoes as well.  I hated them for most of my childhood, until one day I accidently ate one in my salad and figured they were so bad after all!  I still remember the look of shock and astonishment when my dad first saw me reaching for some raw tomatoes at a salad bar.

Sushi was another one for me.  The first time I had it all I could taste was the seaweed.  I tried it again at another restaraunt and ever since I've been hooked.  I've even learned to love the pieces of raw white tuna and fresh salmon.  In fact, DF and I meet friends once a week at our favorite sushi place!

All my life I had HATED eggplant, until one fateful night I tried a friend's homemade eggplant parmesan just to be polite.  I never knew it could taste sooo good!  I realize now that you just have to know how to cook it.

Linley

• My life is not a democracy, YOU do not get a vote.
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2007, 12:50:23 PM »
Swiss cheese
Mushrooms

Yeah, tomatoes!  I HATED them until I was 17 and a BF picked one from his mother's HP garden, cut it in half and sprinkled a little salt and a dash of pepper on it and begged me to try. It was the perfect tomato (I've come to learn), juicy and sweet and delicious. 

I still hate tomatoes, I can now eat tomato sauce (I never could until about two years ago) but only on pizza and only if it is thinly spread, never on pasta. The fresh ones I absolutely cannot stand, even the juice left if I pick them off makes me gag.

I'm the kid who has this habit of dreaming
Sometimes gets me in trouble too
But the truth is I could no more stop dreaming
Than I could make them all come true.

-Cry, Cry, Cry- "The Kid"

Jaywalker

« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2007, 07:06:21 PM »
I hate truffles -- I don't know if I really do or if I have only had bad truffles -- but the taste is absolutely sickening.  my daughter ordered a menu in Rome that had truffles in every course (she had never had them but had always heard they were fabulous)  She too found them revolting and had to face several more dishes with them. 

At any rate -- I put them somewhere up there with durians for creepy insidious foulness of taste  (durians taste better than they smell but I still find them offputting and disturbing)

but then I love Dutch food -- so I don't exactly have sophisticated tastes.

Ondine

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2007, 08:15:55 PM »
I hate truffles -- I don't know if I really do or if I have only had bad truffles -- but the taste is absolutely sickening.  my daughter ordered a menu in Rome that had truffles in every course (she had never had them but had always heard they were fabulous)  She too found them revolting and had to face several more dishes with them. 

At any rate -- I put them somewhere up there with durians for creepy insidious foulness of taste  (durians taste better than they smell but I still find them offputting and disturbing)

You mean the fungus truffles, not the chocolate ones, right?

magdalena

• Super Hero!
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2007, 08:34:54 AM »
Picky child turned into a relatively adventurous eater, my list is long

Meat (other than hamburger meat or chicken breast - I can now truly enjoy a steak)
Sausages
Mushrooms
Melted cheese
Zucchini
Cauliflower
Olives

I loved liver as a kid and won't touch it now unless there's no way out.
I always enjoyed broccoli and brussel sprouts - something that made adults think I was an easy kid to feed. Little they knew.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2007, 11:43:26 AM »

You mean the fungus truffles, not the chocolate ones, right?

Oooh, a meal with "several courses" of chocolate truffles.

Sounds like an Iron Chef Valentine's Day Special.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."