Author Topic: Foods you've learned to love?  (Read 4506 times)

Morty'sCleaningLady

Re: Foods you've learned to love?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2007, 12:27:27 PM »

I hated the one time I tried Brussels sprouts as a kid.  Now, I love 'em.  It's all in the cooking process, isn't it? Rub them with olive oil, broil and serve with salt and pepper -- I swear they are better than French fries!  I also second the sweet potato.  I won't eat them with marshmallows on top, but baked or French fried or mashed plain -- Yum!  I also now eat spinach, cabbage, black olives and sushi.

I'm still trying to like beets.  The last time I had them, I was starting to come down with the flu.  There is no hope for me and mushrooms though.  The flavours and textures don't appeal to my palate.
Formerly Mrs.Bart

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2007, 01:32:29 PM »
With the exception of tuna and shellfish I never liked seafood as a child.  I think my Dad was the culprit.  He liked fish cooked only one way - lightly floured and fried.  Ususally, the stuff came out with no taste besides grease. 

Now that I've learned other ways to cook fish I really enjoy it. 

dings

« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2007, 05:54:50 PM »
I loved mushrooms when I was really young, (like 4), now I can't eat them.  I also hate black olives.  No one ever wants to order pizza with me.  I used to hate all olives, now I can eat green and brown ones.  Just not the black ones that come in a can.

Always hated seafood; now I love it (now that I am landlocked, of course.  must be a grass is greener thing.)

It's good to be Queen

« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2007, 05:57:36 PM »
Guacamole - I don't really like avacodos and I had only tried premade, canned guac.  A friend brought homemade to a party, I tried it to be polite and was hooked!

Gyro Widget

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2007, 09:20:59 PM »

OK I have weird taste buds and things that taste too GREEN really trip my taste buds in a bad way.  I tell people I hate the taste of chlorophyll and I'm probably joking but there's something to the GREENness of foods.

I can understand that.  I have trouble with red meat because I can taste blood.  Even when it is extremely well done I can taste blood.  But I'm learning to like it again (I was red meat free for 7 years).  Pork however I will never get used to... I just tastes the way sweat smells.  LOL.. strange, no? 

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2007, 11:10:47 PM »
Sour Cream and Mayonaisse (not together)

Lobster

Green beans and spinach (not together) 

Alfredo Sauce. 

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2007, 12:05:16 PM »

Sushi is my favorite. I loved it from the first time i tried it; but i was already 21 or so by the time i had a chance.

Things i have grown to like as an adult are mushrooms - can't get enough - and blue cheese dressing. I've also learned that steak is much better when it is still mooing instead of the consistency of shoe leather. Lasagna, too; i don't know if i just had awful lasagna growing up; but my friend Rae made it when we were 18 or so and i liked hers and every lasagna i've met since then.

I'm sure there are more. Ever since i discovered that blue cheese is not the nastiness i always thought it was i have been trying to try new things. It drives me nuts that G will only eat things he's had before age 12. He actually says this! It's so frustrating!
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2007, 01:46:42 PM »
My steak has definately gotten rarer as I have gotten older.  I still draw the line at blood. 

minnaloushe

« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2007, 04:21:02 PM »

Sushi is my favorite. I loved it from the first time i tried it; but i was already 21 or so by the time i had a chance.

Things i have grown to like as an adult are mushrooms - can't get enough - and blue cheese dressing. I've also learned that steak is much better when it is still mooing instead of the consistency of shoe leather. Lasagna, too; i don't know if i just had awful lasagna growing up; but my friend Rae made it when we were 18 or so and i liked hers and every lasagna i've met since then.

I'm sure there are more. Ever since i discovered that blue cheese is not the nastiness i always thought it was i have been trying to try new things. It drives me nuts that G will only eat things he's had before age 12. He actually says this! It's so frustrating!

Mmmmm, stinky cheese. I Love stinky cheese.

magicdomino

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2007, 06:01:40 PM »

I've also learned that steak is much better when it is still mooing instead of the consistency of shoe leather.

As a kid, I used to wonder what was so great about steak.  My mother cooked meat to death in order to kill the "germs."  I was in my teens before I discovered that steak wasn't supposed to be hard and chewy.   In fact, I like it very rare.

aline

• formerly farfalla
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2007, 06:25:13 PM »
I've come to realize that a lot of the foods I hated as a kid were just cooked oddly. My grandmother, who I grew up with, liked to boil all of her food (veggies, meat, you name it), and never added any seasonings. It's amazing what that does to perfectly good food. ;)

Some of the foods/flavorings I've come to love as an adult that I hated as a child:

Spinach
Sushi
Lamb
Pork
Asparagus
Eggplant
Soy Sauce
Potatoes

snoopygirl

• everybody loves an irish girl
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2007, 07:10:14 PM »
My steak has definately gotten rarer as I have gotten older.  I still draw the line at blood. 

I am the same way too. Its the way with all meat. Its because my mother would always cook meat the way my dad liked it which was very well done. I mean this is the guy who likes his hot dogs burnt. I like meat now that I can cook it the way I want. Not rare but not like shoe leather.

ginlyn32

• Super Hero!
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2007, 08:58:58 PM »
When I was a kid, I hated, absolutely HATED meatloaf.

Why, you ask?

I was forced to eat it. My parents are both Baby Boomers and grew up with Eat What's on Your Plate and Do Not Complain rules. You were not allowed to complain about what was served. You had to "clean your plate"

So after I was forced to basicly gag it down, I could not even stand the smell of it cooking. The thought of eating meatloaf would make me physically ill. As I got older, I told my mother that I could not stand the food even after being made to eat it. (she was also a member of "try one bite and you will like it" club. didn't work. she would make me eat it anyway) So if she ever made it, I would just make a PB&J and leave it at that.

About 10 years ago, I found a really good meatloaf recipe and decided to try it. I thought "what could it hurt? if I hate it DH can eat it or we will give it to my parents". I made it and LOVED it! It is so good, people request it.

I also used to hate chili, but I like it now. Mild chili. I don't like spicy food.

Why is being picky thought to be a bad thing? I will try just about anything once, but if I don't like it, why should I eat it again just to make someone else happy?

Ginger
Don't Tread On Me!!!!!

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2007, 11:14:12 PM »
... Why is being picky thought to be a bad thing? I will try just about anything once, but if I don't like it, why should I eat it again just to make someone else happy?
Ginger

I think it is because picky people often decide they don't like something before they have ever tried it. 

Issa

« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2007, 11:49:20 PM »
I've always been pretty open to most anything when it comes to food, but for some reason I didn't have a lot of exposure to fresh asparagus - which I now LOVE. I had only tried the jarred version before.

And although I've never hated these foods, before I would never go out of my way to eat them. However recently, I've been really enjoying fresh anchovies (yum), avocado in pretty much any form, and artichoke!

On the other hand, as I child I used to adore blue cheese, and could eat it all the time! I still really like the taste - but recently, I just cannot bring myself to eat it. The mold just really grosses me out aesthetically!