News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 30, 2015, 12:47:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???  (Read 2103965 times)

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
Re: Baby Names - You're kidding Right???
« Reply #19260 on: March 27, 2015, 12:49:00 PM »
This baby name story actually involves perfectly common names, but it fit here.

Several years ago, my mom reconnected with a distant cousin-by-marriage who lives overseas.

Mom and cousin have recently been exchanging genealogy information.
Mom forwarded these to me because Mr. Dragon is also working on family genealogy.

In one email, my mom mentioned that she had a son, "John Alexander".

I called mom and said "Am I going nuts here or something? I could have sworn John's middle name was Andrew and that it was David who was David Alexander.  ??? ??? ???

My mom laughed and admitted that yes, she had typed my brother's name wrong when she sent it to cousin. She will send a correction.  ::)

My parents only have four kids, and we all have nice, normal names (aside from the fact that I spelled my own middle name wrong for 10 years because that's how my mother said it was spelled!) so it's not like we are all Yewneek or anything.

I just had to laugh and take this as a lesson in baby naming!  ;D ;D
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

djinnidjream

« Reply #19261 on: March 27, 2015, 01:11:06 PM »
I just met a girl named Athena. It's unusual but not strange. The problem I have is that you're not supposed to pronounce it "Ah-THEE-na". Her name is pronounced "AH-thee-NA". She has a long future of correcting people.

It kind of reminds me of kindergarten registration at a school where I had volunteered. A girl was named Ra'don. Now, (nevermind the similarity to a radioactive gas), the pronounciation was tricky. The teacher said "RAY-don", and her mother said "no, it's RAY.....don" they went back and forth a few times before we understood that the apostrophe in the name was for a pause that is supposed to be "pronounced".  ::)

All I can think of is the Designing Women episode with Ray Don.  I would not be able to address this child with a straight face.
Wibbly Wobbly Timey Wimey

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #19262 on: March 28, 2015, 04:08:50 AM »
http://themyskira.tumblr.com/post/27965982570/awesome-puritan-names

A post on tumblr with some awe-inspiring puritan names.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #19263 on: Yesterday at 03:02:15 PM »
I saw a pickup truck on 75N in Florida yesterday with the back window labeled with what I presume are the driver's three children's names.

Zayne and Brody, pretty normal.  But the third one ... Paetyn.

I guess they're football fans?

Allyson

« Reply #19264 on: Yesterday at 03:44:28 PM »
That's a really good example of why I think someone should stick to *one* spelling variation. Zayne probably won't have too hard a time getting people to spell his name because it's just one extra letter, but Paetyn is going to be spelling that for people repeatedly!

Carotte

« Reply #19265 on: Yesterday at 05:31:22 PM »

Love it. After that my plan (  ;)) to name all my kids Cassiopé regardless of gender and number sounds almost reasonable.

I was reading an article that gave two pointers to find a unique (but not too much/not invented) name,
1: look into the history of the name or variations in other countries. Like how Stéphane (Steven/Stephan) transformed into Etienne (no idea how) and Esteve. Or how Paul exist as Paolo, Pavel, Pawel, Paulien...

2: Go back 150 years ago and more. I won't list them because I don't think their 'unique and a bit weird' quality would translate but while some of them are pretty cute and easy to imagine a kid/adult nowadays, some of them.. not so much!
Even more because they give a few Germanic influences from the middle ages, Ermengarde doesn't 'sound' very nice here.

They go back all the way to the classical antiquity, Calliope is very pretty, Terpsichore not so much, but I find some of the Nymphs (adapted) names pretty popular already (Daphne, Pénélope,...)
But not all of them are a good idea, I'm looking at you Salamis and Synallaxis (ask your physician if this drug is right for you, side effects may vary).

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #19266 on: Yesterday at 09:34:50 PM »
If one or more people in your family have problems pronouncing certain letters, take that into account when naming your child.  There was a small boy in the restaurant this evening; his mother called him "Emory" but Grandma (who looked like she might be Asian) evidently couldn't handle that r -- she kept calling him "Emily."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

kglory

« Reply #19267 on: Yesterday at 10:53:58 PM »
I just met a girl named Athena. It's unusual but not strange. The problem I have is that you're not supposed to pronounce it "Ah-THEE-na". Her name is pronounced "AH-thee-NA". She has a long future of correcting people.

I think they are using the Greek pronunciation. (but don't quote me on that)

We'd pronounce it "AH-thee-NA" in France, can't weight in for other languages, but isn't that closer to how you'd say Athens in english anyway?
So I see why, for a modern name in an english speaking country, you (general) could think "Atina", but because of the origin the "thé" (It's Athéna over here) it's clearly the later.

The issue here isn't the T vs TH sound.  We do say Athena with the TH sound in the U.S. 

I think the OP was referring to the stress pattern of the syllables.

The normal American/English pronunciation of Athena is ah-THEE-na.

It sounds like these parents wanted AH-thee-NA.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #19268 on: Today at 12:19:59 AM »

Love it. After that my plan (  ;)) to name all my kids Cassiopé regardless of gender and number sounds almost reasonable.

I was reading an article that gave two pointers to find a unique (but not too much/not invented) name,
1: look into the history of the name or variations in other countries. Like how Stéphane (Steven/Stephan) transformed into Etienne (no idea how) and Esteve. Or how Paul exist as Paolo, Pavel, Pawel, Paulien...
I've always loved the name Jessamy. When I looked into it, it turns out it's a Victorian variant spelling of Jasmine. Jasmine -> Jasmin -> Jasmyn -> Jessamyn -> Jessamy.  ;D
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)