News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• August 28, 2015, 12:40:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O PD Student Darwinism  (Read 398095 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: S/O PD Student Darwinism
« Reply #2055 on: Yesterday at 01:58:55 PM »
A student starting at our school as a junior asked one of my colleagues how to write an essay for a scholarship. She claims not to know how. She has taken both Composition I & II as well as three other writing intensive courses and did well.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #2056 on: Yesterday at 02:31:31 PM »
A student starting at our school as a junior asked one of my colleagues how to write an essay for a scholarship. She claims not to know how. She has taken both Composition I & II as well as three other writing intensive courses and did well.

Was she asking how to write an essay or asking how to write an essay for a scholarship. I can see passing Comp I&II and knowing how to write a 5 paragraph essay, but not knowing how to structure it for scholarships.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2057 on: Yesterday at 02:33:49 PM »
Student claims she has never written an essay. Colleague referred her to an online tool.

One Fish, Two Fish

« Reply #2058 on: Yesterday at 02:40:49 PM »
Student claims she has never written an essay. Colleague referred her to an online tool.
Maybe she hasn't.  Perhaps someone else did her work in her previous Comp. classes.  I went to school with a woman who was functionally illiterate.  Her daughter wrote all of her papers.
I'll get there.  Eventually.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2059 on: Yesterday at 04:29:28 PM »
Maybe she hasn't.  Perhaps someone else did her work in her previous Comp. classes.  I went to school with a woman who was functionally illiterate.  Her daughter wrote all of her papers.

One gal recently asked my sister to do all the paperwork in applying to go back to school. Her back up plan after my sister refused is to cut and paste various things from the internet. She plans to go back to school to become a childcare worker. Nice. She can teach children how to cheat.

Lynn2000

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2060 on: Yesterday at 04:48:06 PM »
I have observed that a lot of people who dislike and/or struggle with paperwork, don't really understand that filling out the paperwork correctly may be fundamental to their job. They think it's just a one-time hurdle, and no big deal if they have someone else do it or do it poorly, because once they're in they can prove themselves with the "real" aspects of the job. When we hire student interns I send everyone who expresses interest an application to fill out, and believe me I notice when someone can't follow the directions properly or makes a lot of typos--how can I trust they'll be good at following protocols at work, and paying attention to detail there?

Similarly, a friend of mine once spent many months struggling to gain residency in a country that required people to know a certain language. Although my friend did try to learn the language, she was still so bad at it that when she received an instructional letter in that language, she had to have an expert translate it for her, just to tell her where the visa interview would take place! That right there should tell you that you are not reaching the standard they expect of you. (And indeed, when she went to the interview, they failed her on not speaking the language well enough and she didn't get the visa, meaning months of effort and thousands of dollars were wasted.)
~Lynn2000

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #2061 on: Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM »
There's a scandal going on at a prestigious university in my city where some students, particularly foreign students, are hiring people to sit their exams for them. I really feel bad when I accuse foreign students of cheating, particularly specific nationalities, but they go together so often it's sad.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2062 on: Yesterday at 06:44:38 PM »
When I took my Graduate Record Examination two weeks ago, my ID was checked, I had to empty my pockets of everything but my inhaler and one tissue, and they used metal detectors to scan me in each time. I had to demonstrate that my pockets were empty and show I had nothing in my socks. I can't fathom the lengths people will go to to cheat.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2063 on: Yesterday at 08:41:49 PM »
We had to take off our hats in one class, because the teacher had caught people writing things on the inside. If there is a way to cheat, someone will find it.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Dr. F.

« Reply #2064 on: Yesterday at 08:49:53 PM »
We got a warning from the University saying that there is now a service that will print notes on the inside of a label that looks like the label of a water bottle. The student pastes it onto the bottle of water, and then can read the notes through the water, though the bottle looks like a normal one to everyone else.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #2065 on: Yesterday at 08:57:23 PM »
We got a warning from the University saying that there is now a service that will print notes on the inside of a label that looks like the label of a water bottle. The student pastes it onto the bottle of water, and then can read the notes through the water, though the bottle looks like a normal one to everyone else.

You could do that yourself if you wanted. Depending on the brand, some labels are very loose.
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

faithlessone

« Reply #2066 on: Today at 12:25:36 AM »

We had to have clear bottles, no labels, at my university. If you couldn't satisfactorily remove the label, you were given a small plastic cup and had to ask for water.