Author Topic: Baby Clothes Sizing  (Read 859 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: Baby Clothes Sizing
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 03:29:37 PM »
I had wondered this in the past as well, and figured it must just be a difference in brand.  I usually get toddler clothes from Target and usually saw that going on, whereas you rarely see 3T/36 months.

Mine is nearly 3 and I love the pants that have the inner elastic waist adjustment.  Thanks to some lovely genetics from DH and I, our boys have narrow waists and hips and so pants just slide down without a belt or those adjusters.  That and as toddlers they're longer in the torso than in the pants.   Outfits that are sold together in one size often end up needing rolling up of cuffs and taking in at the waist with a belt or that adjusting strap.

Now my oldest is thirteen, I swear he's all legs and predict he'll be taller than me by the end of this school year, as he's 5'1"  now and last I was measured I was 5'2 3/4".

Interjection - I have heard that kids in the USA have larger heads due to better nutrition - so that some clothes have necklines that aren't easily pulled on over their heads if they are made overseas.

I noticed that with my two kids.

As to the shirts being too short to stay tucked in.

My family is built the same way - up until about ten or so - when Younger Brother got stockier. Baby Brother just kept getting taller until about his  early twenties (college)...when his weight started to catch up to his height (he was working at a restaurant by then).  He was finally able to buy pants off the rack that were long enough without having to pleat the waistband with a belt to hold it up instead of sliding off.

We're all long waisted, though, so shirts tend to gap or won't stay tucked in - unless Mom, Grandma, or someone else made the shirt or blouse (I learned to sew in junior high school because Mom was working part time and no longer had enough time to keep up with sewing for four kids - I started sewing for myself so she was only keeping up with three kids).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

bonyk

« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 06:22:11 PM »
I have noticed that Old Navy toddler girls T-Shirts have extremely small necks.  I haven't noticed that from other stores.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 06:36:18 PM »
My youngest does not like having things with tight necks pulled over his head, and I can't blame him either. I remember as a kid having shirts get stuck as I'd try to get them on. (Doesn't help our family tends to have big heads) I remember my mom telling me to pull the neck over the back of my head first than the front and that did help some.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 11:13:26 PM »
I don't think DD has a particularly large head, but it is annoying how many clothes sized out due to the neckline. 

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #19 on: Today at 12:56:08 AM »
The diapered/diaperless thing makes sense.  I know that if you go to various clothing websites or look at clothes patterns, 2T is *fractionally* larger than 24 months, but much less than the difference between 18 and 24 months, or 2T and 3T.

Starting at 2T, my girls have always worn that size for a full year.  Just recently at sizes 6 and 4T, I found that two of them actually wore the clothes for closer to 2 years.  So it is nice not to have to worry so much about seasons.

I'd never noticed any problem with heads fitting through neckholes (in fact, I often find that clothes have a bit of stretch and you can fit the child's head through the neckhole without unsnapping a snap, if there is one).  However, I know that I apparently have a larger-than-average sized head, because your typical "one size fits all" hat is too small for me, and the same thing goes with anything that is fitted for the head (goggles, etc.).  My dad is the same way.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #20 on: Today at 07:09:48 AM »
The diapered/diaperless thing makes sense.  I know that if you go to various clothing websites or look at clothes patterns, 2T is *fractionally* larger than 24 months, but much less than the difference between 18 and 24 months, or 2T and 3T.

Starting at 2T, my girls have always worn that size for a full year.  Just recently at sizes 6 and 4T, I found that two of them actually wore the clothes for closer to 2 years.  So it is nice not to have to worry so much about seasons.

I'd never noticed any problem with heads fitting through neckholes (in fact, I often find that clothes have a bit of stretch and you can fit the child's head through the neckhole without unsnapping a snap, if there is one).  However, I know that I apparently have a larger-than-average sized head, because your typical "one size fits all" hat is too small for me, and the same thing goes with anything that is fitted for the head (goggles, etc.).  My dad is the same way.

My mother tried to order a hat for my dad, as he too couldn't fit average one size fits all hats, and it still turned out too small. So she called the company and the woman said her husband was the same way and by the way, was mom's husband Irish?"  Why yes...apparently the woman on the phone also married an Irish guy with a big head.  Hm!

Anyway, back on subject, it seems sweaters are often the ones with tight neck holes, t shirts tend to be pretty elastic.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata