News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• July 31, 2015, 04:29:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Is that... Is that not a thing that EVERYONE does/says?"  (Read 8599 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: "Is that... Is that not a thing that EVERYONE does/says?"
« Reply #210 on: Yesterday at 06:48:17 PM »
That piece of paper inside the box that tells you how to put your gift together is called "Destructions"  not "Instructions".

Yep - here, too... ;D
Here too.  Besides, if the piece of paper is telling us how to put together the furniture that came in a nice flat box, we ignore it and put it together in the configuration that WE need!  Sometimes it is a case of "Destructions."  >:D
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

greencat

« Reply #211 on: Yesterday at 06:56:34 PM »
Michigander here and I say 'nother' a lot. In fact I just mentioned it on Twitter in a conversation that, "that would be a whole 'nother ball of wax, as they say." Then I wondered if that was a regionalism.

I've always heard "A whole 'nother ballgame" rather than "ball of wax"

Jones

« Reply #212 on: Yesterday at 07:16:55 PM »
We've begun adding -inator to everything. I blame the Phineas and Ferb tv show. I get odd looks in public because, although fairly recent, it has become ingrained.

Pass the remotinator. Where's the box cutinator? Just reading a bookinator. I need to use the shakinator (blender, but making a shake).
“A real desire to believe all the good you can of others and to make others as comfortable as you can will solve most of the problems.” CS Lewis

Lindenharp

« Reply #213 on: Yesterday at 09:42:13 PM »
My family also used the term "dollars to doughnuts" in a sentence like this:  "I bet dollars to doughnuts he isn't going to make it off work by 5."

I've heard "dollars to doughnuts", but I think of it as a very old-fashioned phrase.  I mostly associate it with the title song from the movie State Fair: "Our state fair is a great state fair. Don't miss it, don't even be late. I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that our state fair is the best state fair in our state".  (I went looking for it on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSKa29E4T7o and discovered why I couldn't remember any other lyrics: there aren't any.)

crella

« Reply #214 on: Yesterday at 10:26:32 PM »
We had mighty thunderstorms in central Va. where I grew up.  My Mother always said of the thunder "the Devil is beating his wife".

My mother used to say "The angels are bowling again". My granddad used to say 'The angels are moving the piano".

Jaelle

« Reply #215 on: Yesterday at 10:29:43 PM »
Great thread!

DH's family uses "for crying under the sink!" -- Same connotation as "For crying out loud!"

My teeny, rural hometown has a word that I have heard nowhere else around the region, not even the other teeny towns nearby. I even tried to figure out its origin for a paper when I was in college, with no luck. (Although one older co-worker claimed her late husband had come up with it, I couldn't verify it, and she had no idea of the etymology.)

I'm outing myself here if there's anyone from my hometown, but the word is "Wallio."

It means -- in a sometimes oddly affectionate, sometime annoyed or exasperated way -- a city person who comes to the country to hunt beer. :D
“She was already learning that if you ignore the rules people will, half the time, quietly rewrite them so that they don't apply to you.”
― Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites

crella

« Reply #216 on: Yesterday at 10:53:03 PM »
'wallio' is in the Urban Dictionary! I just found it, with a poorly spelled definition.  :D

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #217 on: Yesterday at 11:56:46 PM »
My Grandmother used to tell us kids that "you aren't sugar and you won't melt in the rain."  I've also used lick and a promise for a quick cleaning/picking up. 

My MIL spoke Luxembourgish and she used to say "I'll hit you so hard on the head that your whole family will feel it" to my spouse and his brothers in that language.  It's the only phrase in that language that my spouse knows.  :)
Our version is you aren't that sweet, you won't melt (works both for rain and heat).
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Another Sarah

« Reply #218 on: Today at 04:17:26 AM »
My Grandmother used to tell us kids that "you aren't sugar and you won't melt in the rain."  I've also used lick and a promise for a quick cleaning/picking up. 

My MIL spoke Luxembourgish and she used to say "I'll hit you so hard on the head that your whole family will feel it" to my spouse and his brothers in that language.  It's the only phrase in that language that my spouse knows.  :)
Our version is you aren't that sweet, you won't melt (works both for rain and heat).
My family always says "you're not made of sugar" but although it means you won't melt and is supposed to be for rain, we use it for anything where the person is being a bit delicate/shy of trying something.

I always thought it came from this Enid Blyton story we had when we were kids
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blytons-Little-Sugar-Mouse-Stories/dp/B0065K7SK4
About a sugar mouse that wants to play outside and then it rains