News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 28, 2016, 11:38:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Cheapskate stories  (Read 322794 times)

EmmaJ.

Re: Cheapskate stories
« Reply #1425 on: August 23, 2016, 12:24:18 PM »
Ladyknight, you are a very kind person. 

We'd love to see photos of the event if you are so inclined.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #1426 on: August 23, 2016, 12:28:31 PM »
I did not take any, but I will look through what was taken. Thank you for the kind words.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #1427 on: Yesterday at 08:52:46 PM »
My grandmother was not a cheapskate, but she was certainly frugal, although the family agrees she came by it honestly.  She raised 5 kids of her own during the height of the Depression, and they even took in a young girl whose family was really struggling.

Anyway, after my grandpa died, she would spend the winter months at my aunt's (her oldest child) house, a good 2 hour drive south of her home.  My cousin told me recently of the time my aunt drove Grandma home at the end of March, and my cousin rode alone.  They arrive and walk in to a blast of warm air.  The furnace was doing a wonderful job, and the house was just toasty.  Well, Grandma was just sick.  The furnace had been running for 4 - 5 months in a cold Michigan winter in an empty house.

My cousin popped over to the next door neighbor to let her know that Grandma was back in her home.  "Oh, I know!" the neighbor said.  "Your sister called about an hour ago, and so I went over and turned the heat on so Ethel would walk into a nice warm house."

My cousin said, "You have just made Grandma very happy.  She won't mind that the furnace has been on for an hour, it was the 4 months that upset her."
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

LeeLee88

« Reply #1428 on: Yesterday at 09:53:17 PM »
My grandmother was not a cheapskate, but she was certainly frugal, although the family agrees she came by it honestly.  She raised 5 kids of her own during the height of the Depression, and they even took in a young girl whose family was really struggling.

Anyway, after my grandpa died, she would spend the winter months at my aunt's (her oldest child) house, a good 2 hour drive south of her home.  My cousin told me recedecentlyntly of the time my aunt drove Grandma home at the end of March, and my cousin rode alone.  They arrive and walk in to a blast of warm air.  The furnace was doing a wonderful job, and the house was just toasty.  Well, Grandma was just sick.  The furnace had been running for 4 - 5 months in a cold Michigan winter in an empty house.

My cousin popped over to the next door neighbor to let her know that Grandma was back in her home.  "Oh, I know!" the neighbor said.  "Your sister called about an hour ago, and so I went over and turned the heat on so Ethel would walk into a nice warm house."

My cousin said, "You have just made Grandma very happy.  She won't mind that the furnace has been on for an hour, it was the 4 months that upset her."

1) Poor grandma, I imagine it would be like if you found out you'd left a faucet dripping a lot that whole time, then coming back and fearing a gigantic water bill.

2) How absolutely sweet is that neighbor though?  Oh my goodness.

TaterTot

« Reply #1429 on: Yesterday at 10:01:57 PM »
I had a roommate (RM) in college that decided to move out of our apartment when the lease expired so she could be a live-in nanny for a neighborhood family. After packing most of her things, she still had an ironing board that she did not want to move. I was remaining in the apartment and my boyfriend was moving in with me after she moved out. This ironing board had seen better days, but could still be used for the occasional ironing job. The ironing board in question was heavily stained and torn in one area, so a bath towel had been wrapped around that area and secured with safety pins to the ironing board's cloth cover. The following conversation occurred pretty much verbatim:

RM: I don't want to move this. Would you like it? Otherwise it's going into the dumpster.
Me: Sure, I'll take it.
RM: Would you give me $5 for it?
Me: Then I don't want it.
RM: OK. You can have it.

rose red

« Reply #1430 on: Today at 11:00:37 AM »
I don't remember if I posted this before, but I'll tell a story about myself. I don't like to pay for a drink at restaurants. $3.50 for a soft drink? No thanks.

However! I will order ice tea or something when dining with a group (splitting the bill) because if I don't, I'm still paying for a part of all their drinks adding up to one full drink I could have had myself. This way, we're all even. Yeah, I know ::) :P