Author Topic: Other web sites  (Read 2622 times)

demarco

Re: Other web sites
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2014, 10:58:29 PM »
A discussion board on which I spend a lot of time:  boards.straightdope.com/sdmb       

It discusses absolutely "everything under the sun", and has many highly knowledgeable and entertaining participants. Its sub-forum dedicated to "art, drama, literature, movies, music, comics, cuisine" includes a lot of interesting food-and-cookery material.

I read The Straight Dope a lot and DH has been a prolific poster  there since the nineties. It is very engaging and some of it is downright hilarious.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2014, 12:38:37 PM »
There is indeed plenty of splendid drollery on TSD; and often, of a basically gentle and benign sort -- though at times and in parts, things on the board can get very non-eHell-approved !

What impresses me most, is the amazing erudition of many who take part, and on a huge variety of topics. I reckon that nineteen times out of twenty, if you want to know something -- no matter how obscure, or how little information you're able to give people to go on -- there's some person or persons on TSD, who will provide the desired gen.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2014, 12:19:53 PM »
There is indeed plenty of splendid drollery on TSD; and often, of a basically gentle and benign sort -- though at times and in parts, things on the board can get very non-eHell-approved !

What impresses me most, is the amazing erudition of many who take part, and on a huge variety of topics. I reckon that nineteen times out of twenty, if you want to know something -- no matter how obscure, or how little information you're able to give people to go on -- there's some person or persons on TSD, who will provide the desired gen.
Look for the thread on the spatula committing suicide.  I wet my pants laughing over that one.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

cabbageweevil

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2014, 12:58:14 PM »

Look for the thread on the spatula committing suicide.  I wet my pants laughing over that one.

This sounds fascinating; but initial attempts at searching, yielded no results.  Please, any chance that you could furnish the thread's title?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2014, 10:01:23 PM »

This sounds fascinating; but initial attempts at searching, yielded no results.  Please, any chance that you could furnish the thread's title?
Attempted murder-suicide by my spatula.
http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=275284

I couldn't find it either until I remembered the phrase "I love my dead gay spatula."  Then Master Google was kind enough to find it for me.
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.

gmatoy

« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 01:43:35 AM »
Oh, my goodness! I just finished reading that, and laughing my head off and my husband is now in the kitchen (yes, I said kitchen) filling out the paperwork to have his crazy wife committed! ;)
When he said that, I told him I was already committed to an institution: the institution of marriage. Now he is shaking his head sadly, so I'm going to make him read the entire post and see if he can keep a straight face!

cabbageweevil

« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 06:21:14 AM »
The spatula-murder-suicide saga (I have great trouble trying to trim quote trees; always seem to mess the operation up) -- Elfmama, many thanks. Wonderful stuff -- both the initial story, and the ensuing conversation.

"I love my dead gay spatula" -- that has to be up there, along with "Our postilion has been struck by lightning", among those phrases which you'd give anything to have a chance to use legitimately in a real-life situation.

Celany

• the soul of a cat, in the body of a person...
« Reply #37 on: Yesterday at 11:45:06 AM »
I can't believe no one has mentioned pinterest. I love the variety of enjoyable things I can find there. I've tried a ton of recipes that I've pinned & not had a bad one yet & also have pinned about a million craft things to try.

I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior. ~ Hippolyte Taine

StarDrifter

• I never tell people exactly how smart I am
« Reply #38 on: Today at 05:40:59 AM »
Oh not Pinterest!
Pinterest is a sprially time-suck of cute baby outfits and things that I will never be confident enough to bake!
Though I did find an awesome recipe for Nutella Cheesecake the other day, and even made it... eventually.
I've found that my timeframe between pinning a recipe and actually trying it out can be anything from 15 seconds to never ever ever, though of late I have been making more stuff!
... it might frighten them.
Victoria,