News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 30, 2016, 02:07:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silly things that have made you happy recently  (Read 218968 times)

gramma dishes

Re: Silly things that have made you happy recently
« Reply #2295 on: Yesterday at 07:56:05 PM »

... I have a friend who told me that when she goes on a trip she takes only her oldest, rattiest undies and throws them away each day and has room going home for souvenirs.

I was sitting at my desk near sunset yesterday and out of the corner of my eye saw what seemed like an enormous bird flying outside my window.  It was a Great Blue Heron, with about a 6' wing span, which landed on my neighbor's roof and sat there for a few minutes while I had time to rush outside and get a good look at it. Magnificent!

When I first began reading the last paragraph I thought you were going to say the Great Blue Heron was flying toward its nest with a pair of panties as a building component for said nest and you wondered if it was your friend's.   ;D

Bijou

« Reply #2296 on: Yesterday at 08:25:34 PM »
Thread jack -
Stuff any empty spots with bubble wrap.  When the inevitable souvenirs and Christmas presents start filling the gaps, the bubble wrap can either be thrown away or used to wrap fragile items.

Great idea!  I have a friend who told me that when she goes on a trip she takes only her oldest, rattiest undies and throws them away each day and has room going home for souvenirs.

I was sitting at my desk near sunset yesterday and out of the corner of my eye saw what seemed like an enormous bird flying outside my window.  It was a Great Blue Heron, with about a 6' wing span, which landed on my neighbor's roof and sat there for a few minutes while I had time to rush outside and get a good look at it. Magnificent!
They are magnificent.  We often see them, standing tall and still in a field or meadow, but the other day we saw one walk across a street near a field when we drove by.  Found this picture on the internet and couldn't resist posting for those who haven't seen one. 
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-d0_N7iYau-w/UGmhojI_2wI/AAAAAAAAGFo/tbyfliISfTo/s1600/great+blue+heron-103.jpg 
I've never knitted anything I could recognize when it was finished.  Actually, I've never finished anything, much to my family's relief.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2297 on: Yesterday at 09:33:50 PM »
Thread jack -
Stuff any empty spots with bubble wrap.  When the inevitable souvenirs and Christmas presents start filling the gaps, the bubble wrap can either be thrown away or used to wrap fragile items.

Great idea!  I have a friend who told me that when she goes on a trip she takes only her oldest, rattiest undies and throws them away each day and has room going home for souvenirs.

They are magnificent.  We often see them, standing tall and still in a field or meadow, but the other day we saw one walk across a street near a field when we drove by.  Found this picture on the internet and couldn't resist posting for those who haven't seen one. 
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-d0_N7iYau-w/UGmhojI_2wI/AAAAAAAAGFo/tbyfliISfTo/s1600/great+blue+heron-103.jpg 

Have you seen them up in trees?  I'm in Central Maryland and I'm used to seeing them on the water or basically at water level on land.  But over on the eastern shore, they really like to perch in trees.  The first time I saw one in a tree, I thought it was some kind of rare eagle and was soooo excited!  And they my guide was like...its a heron.  They sit in the trees and look for fish.  When they see one, they dive bomb to catch it and fly back up into the trees. 
Maryland

Chez Miriam

« Reply #2298 on: Today at 01:39:48 AM »
I happened to find a site with some additional information about the trip I'm taking and saw that they were looking for photographs and will pay for them! I'm excited to take photos for payment.  :D

Yay!!

Go professional photographer!  :)
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich

Chez Miriam

« Reply #2299 on: Today at 01:42:51 AM »
Thread jack -

I read an article once that suggested when going self-catering to take the oldes, rattiest, towels/tea-towels [and possibly t-shirts/shorts etc?  I forget], and throw them away at the end of the holiday.  Or the beach towel you use if going to a hotel.

Problem is: I rely on those for my floor cloths/dusters, so I would never just bin them. ::)
"All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  - Julian of Norwich