News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• March 02, 2015, 03:54:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: donate a library?  (Read 940 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!
Re: donate a library?
« Reply #15 on: Today at 10:33:46 AM »
I think Evil Genius probably needs a hug at this moment!

I wish I could just sort the books your father loved into categories and catalog or at least list and bundle them for you. I know how many 4000 books is because we only had 10,000 in our library. Not on the level of good stuff you have, but every year we would have people come in with loads of National Geographic magazines in almost perfect condition, and we had to reject them because we already had 2 copies of each, and even all the Little Golden Books were slightly too used for give-aways and not with a sturdy binding to go to the work of processing to circulate. We would have to carefully examine Dr. Seuss and Nancy Drew - much loved, but not many with good bindings.

It was very painful for all parties concerned.
« Last Edit: Today at 03:16:02 PM by Luci »

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: Today at 12:32:39 PM »
Situations like this are very painful indeed for all concerned. 

The donors want to do the right thing and make the books available to researchers or the general public. That's laudable. 

Libraries appreciate the offer but the labor involved in processing a collection like the one described in the OP is often prohibitive in terms of employee time and employee time means money. 

Most libraries aren't lavishly funded and have to perform a sort of triage for every proposed gift.  Even when  a catalog was provided, the library in which I worked had to turn down an average of 75 per cent of gifts from very prominent New York City families. The books just weren't  all that good to be worth the money needed to process them and make them available to readers. 

daen

« Reply #17 on: Today at 01:29:48 PM »
We had someone offer to donate his library to us on his death. (Okay, maybe...)
He would also provide a bookcase for the collection. (Yay, no extra shelving costs - as long as the bookcase meets our standards.)
The bookcase would be locked for the safety of the books. (Um, hold on a minute...)
Only approved people (like the nice young man who was his doctor - he was good with books) would be allowed to peruse them.  (We have now reached "No." territory.)

The donation was tactfully declined, with the explanation that we are a public library, we do not have restricted collections, and we do not have funding, staffing, or desire to being administering a restricted collection.

I wonder if the nice young man who was his doctor ended up inheriting a small library...

z_squared82

« Reply #18 on: Today at 01:39:25 PM »
For anything you think might be collectable, go to http://bookscouter.com/ and enter the ISBN.  I sold a couple of hundred books a few years ago, as well as donating a few hundred more to charities.  It can be surprising which books are in demand.

Yeah, I'd go with this unless you have a strict time table to get rid of them. Or take them in by the box-full to a place like Half Price Books (I have no idea if those exist outside my area). Some might be valuable. It might be worth checking out if you have the time.

Yarnspinner

« Reply #19 on: Today at 02:36:41 PM »
What Avid Reader said.   We take donations now with the caveat that most books will go straight into a book sale.   In some respects wouldn't it be nice to know that books your father enjoyed are being enjoyed by others as well?

sylviatexas

« Reply #20 on: Today at 03:51:03 PM »
I once took a whole car full of books to a half price book store;
they took the books to the back & asked for my name, & about 20 minutes later (to give me time to browse their store!), they announced over the intercom, "Sylvia, please come to the purchase department. Your offer is ready."
It seems like the offer was $12.

If you think some/any of the books are valuable, browse the active & sold listings on ebay, & sell those books separately.