News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• May 22, 2015, 12:27:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers  (Read 870889 times)

Idlewildstudios

Re: S/O Beggars, Moochers and Scammers
« Reply #4215 on: Today at 12:13:40 PM »
Coworker is a bit of mooch.

She is very social and is always pimping her latest MLM scheme during her free time.

She knows my DH is in construction.  When I first got to know her, she had a bench that needed repair and could my DH just pop round and mend it?  She was sure it would only take just a moment.  I told her his hourly rate for side work and she suddenly managed to get her DH to fix the bench.

Then her son takes a construction class in school and upon completion is award some sort of card that says he completed the class.  CW is hinting that now summer is coming her son could really use a summer job.  And he has this card that shows he can be a contractor.  If only she could find someone in construction who was hiring...

After several days of her hinting, she finally flat out asked my if my DH would hire her 16 year old son as a contractor.  I had to explain that a real contractor owned their own business and tended to specialize in a trade, like dirt work or cabinetry.  She insisted her son was qualified based on this high school class and would be an asset to any construction crew.  I then told her my DH worked for a Union company and they only hired out of the local Hall.  But I was happy to get her apprenticeship info.  Her best bet was to find a small local handyman type business looking for strong, unskilled summer labor.

Suddenly she is saying that construction workers tend to be crude and obnoxious and she's not sure she wants her son working in that sort of environment.

Two days later she asking me that if my DH has any nice cabinets he comes across in his work, her DH would happily take them for his garage.  You know, so my DH didn't have to just throw away good cabinets.

I told her that since the current job was just breaking ground and new construction, there was no remodeling and no cabinets to be had.  What I didn't tell her is that *everyone* wants cabinets and DH keeps a naughty and nice list and any cabinets  go to the nice list.

She is always hitting up people whose husbands do mechanic work or home repair to "just pop round and have a look" at whatever she needs done at that time, "as a favor, I'm sure it's something so simple and easy to fix!"