Author Topic: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)  (Read 701366 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3525 on: November 19, 2014, 08:52:28 PM »
Well, two rebooted. The others didn't.

I'm not even sure they read the email! Why am I wasting my time?

Because later, you can look at them and say, "I sent you an email with specific instructions," while giving them the "You're a moron who can't follow directions" tone and glare.

In fact, I had to have this discussion with one of our staff this afternoon.

"You need to both read and respond to your email at least once an hour when you are at the office." Should I have to tell a professional this? No. Someone ten years older than me? No.

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
Re: Not Going To Happen 'Cause I'm Not Harry Potter (Impossible Patron Requests)
« Reply #3526 on: November 19, 2014, 10:04:23 PM »
Well, two rebooted. The others didn't.

I'm not even sure they read the email! Why am I wasting my time?

Because later, you can look at them and say, "I sent you an email with specific instructions," while giving them the "You're a moron who can't follow directions" tone and glare.

In fact, I had to have this discussion with one of our staff this afternoon.

"You need to both read and respond to your email at least once an hour when you are at the office." Should I have to tell a professional this? No. Someone ten years older than me? No.

That sounds like something that is going to vary a lot from one job/profession to another. For any task that requires concentration over long periods, making everyone stop at least once an hour to read and answer email could be counterproductive, especially if the answers have to be longer and take more thought than "I saw your message, I'll get back to you at the end of the day" or "Sorry, I'm working on the Whosit file until at least Friday."

I'm not arguing that this isn't an appropriate rule for your office/field. I just don't think it applies to all "professionals."
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3527 on: November 19, 2014, 10:26:33 PM »
Just substitute "reasonable time frame" for "once an hour" and you've pretty much got it, especially for any job/environment that does a significant portion of their communications via e-mail.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3528 on: November 19, 2014, 10:31:20 PM »
Just substitute "reasonable time frame" for "once an hour" and you've pretty much got it, especially for any job/environment that does a significant portion of their communications via e-mail.

Precisely. It may vary, but the pertinent email was sent the night before the day in question and was ignored. Two subsequent emails were sent after it became apparent email one was ignored. This is student services and a clerical position, so no big projects that require intense concentration for hours at a time.

LadyJaneinMD

When I worked in webhosting support center, my coworkers were all young (19-22), many on their first jobs, and pretty, um, free spirited.  it was a very lax environment as far as professional behavior - an HR professional would have had a heart attack in the first 5 minutes.  However, everyone was of the same mind, and it did help deal with the impossible customers and nightly death threats.

One of the few unshakable rules was 'lock your box'...if you had to leave your workstation, even for a minute, you were supposed to lock it - we often had system configuration files open that could bring down sites in a second if improperly edited or corrupted.  If you forgot, you ran the risk of coming back to your computer to find that your home page had been set to the raunchiest p0rn site available.  You could tell when someone had been 'peer coached' by the howl of disgust when they opened a new browser window and saw their new setting.

Oh!  We must have worked at the same place!  I worked there too, and yeah, that happened far too often.  The *kids* would send out embarrassing company-wide emails from your computer if they found it unlocked.  Someone got fired over it finally, and things calmed down.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
I worked at a place with a similar policy. The emails were usually simple - "I can't find my pants!" - but one poor guy forgot to log out when he was visiting an overseas office, and left the computer unlocked. While he was on his flight home, the office conspired to create a masterpiece. Several pages long, seemingly detailing the fun touristy things he did in between meetings. Then, at the end, "But I forgot my pants."
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Moralia

• That's just tacky, tacky, tacky!
We used to change the desktop themes and screen savers of people who didn't lock up/log out. I had a jump drive pre-loaded with themes tailored for co-workers...cats for the dog person, olives for the guy who thought they were evil, brisket for the vegetarian, pretty-pretty sparkle princess for the guys, etc.   >:D

It's a food thing I never forgot, there's no telling what vengence they would have wrought.

greencat

We used to change the desktop themes and screen savers of people who didn't lock up/log out. I had a jump drive pre-loaded with themes tailored for co-workers...cats for the dog person, olives for the guy who thought they were evil, brisket for the vegetarian, pretty-pretty sparkle princess for the guys, etc.   >:D

It's a food thing I never forgot, there's no telling what vengence they would have wrought.

Heh.  Combined with the olives and the brisket, your typo made me giggle.

My not Harry Potter moment:
No, student with enough Google-fu to figure out how to call the test scoring office, disregarding the bit where it's well after office hours, and getting forwarded to me, I can't make your professor make your scores visible.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!

We work on an escalating warning system.

First time you forget: You get your screen rotated (Shift + Alt + one of the arrow keys will do it on most windows machines)
Second time: Your backdrop is set to "David Hassellhoff with puppies" and your screen saver to the cheesiest Fabio pictures we can find.
Third time: You send an email to the department inviting them to a party on your luxury yacht.

We do have a valid reason for doing this, as many people in the office have access to some very personal information of our clients, so it's a security risk to leave computers sitting open.
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!

We work on an escalating warning system.

First time you forget: You get your screen rotated (Shift + Alt + one of the arrow keys will do it on most windows machines)
Second time: Your backdrop is set to "David Hassellhoff with puppies" and your screen saver to the cheesiest Fabio pictures we can find.
Third time: You send an email to the department inviting them to a party on your luxury yacht.

We do have a valid reason for doing this, as many people in the office have access to some very personal information of our clients, so it's a security risk to leave computers sitting open.

My toddler does this if I leave my laptop unattended.  Perhaps she's attempting to let me know of the security risk?  She turns my desktop sideways, opens view source, prints out view source (and even from the most basic page that's a *long* print job), and occasionally opens up an email and starts to type gibberish to somebody on my contacts page.  I guess she'd be an expert in the security field!

My husband's work does the same thing.  He works for the government, so no inappropriate windows, but they'll do pranks like some of the ones described, because it *is* a big deal.

Fliss

• Australia - the land that time forgot.
RE: Non-locked computers

While working for an unnamed government dept, we had to lock the comps whenever we left them, but they also had a program that would auto-lock if no keystrokes were made in two minutes. All well and good, and it was designed to stop others playing with your machine.

But --

It would keep letting the email alerts bing, a most annoying sound when a certain person would deliberately turn her speakers up while she puddled around the office, putting folders away in the walk-in cabinets, getting her tea, chatting on the phone . . . going for her 10 minute smoke breaks . . . .

This annoyed most of the office, but she was deaf to all complaints. "I neeeeeeed to know when I get mail! It might be important!" Well, yes, it might. But you aren't there, you daft bat! I still maintain that she just wanted us to hear the noise so we would think she was a very important, hard-working poobah.

A plan was hatched. A song was (ahem) acquired (no names, no pack drill), and the right moment was waited for. Before that, she was given many warnings and told many time to 'turn the dingdangity speakers off' but she refused. So, one morning, after she had left for a smoke break, and told us that's what she was doing, an office peon with computer knowledge jumped on, plugged a USB stick in, does some quick voodoo, jumps off and turns the speakers off.

15 minutes later she wanders back, telling us how she'd bumped into a friend in another dept and got chatting, sits down, tsks about the speakers being off, turns them on and up -- and flies back and shrieks as an email comes in and the Lamb Chop theme blares out.

I happen to like "this is the song that doesn't end", but it is in the top 10 of most annoying songs of all time. Especially when played for 2 minutes.

This lady obviously wasn't a fan, and freaked, demanding to know what had been done and how could we do it and how could it be changed back. After we stopped laughing, it was pointed out that turning off he speakers would solve the problem, but if she insisted it could be rearranged back. But also that if she left the speakers on anything above whisper, there was a good chance it would happen again.

She sulked, but as the office was against her, could do nothing but agree. Didn't learn for another few days though. I believe Metallica and Def Leopard were involved the next day. Then someone supplied 'Sheik of Scrubby Creek' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWfFFMcfEt4 Warning: this song has to be heard to be believed. Australians do country a little differently to the rest of you).

Within 1 minute of good old Chad, she'd asked for the speakers to be disconnected and taken away. I left shortly after for another office, but I made sure the USB stick was passed on, in case she recovered from Chad too quickly.

Good news! Your insurance company says they'll cover you. Unfortunately, they also say it will be with dirt.

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.

While working for an unnamed government dept, we had to lock the comps whenever we left them, but they also had a program that would auto-lock if no keystrokes were made in two minutes. All well and good, and it was designed to stop others playing with your machine.

But --

It would keep letting the email alerts bing, a most annoying sound when a certain person would deliberately turn her speakers up while she puddled around the office, putting folders away in the walk-in cabinets, getting her tea, chatting on the phone . . . going for her 10 minute smoke breaks . . . .

This annoyed most of the office, but she was deaf to all complaints. "I neeeeeeed to know when I get mail! It might be important!" Well, yes, it might. But you aren't there, you daft bat! I still maintain that she just wanted us to hear the noise so we would think she was a very important, hard-working poobah.

A plan was hatched. A song was (ahem) acquired (no names, no pack drill), and the right moment was waited for. Before that, she was given many warnings and told many time to 'turn the dingdangity speakers off' but she refused. So, one morning, after she had left for a smoke break, and told us that's what she was doing, an office peon with computer knowledge jumped on, plugged a USB stick in, does some quick voodoo, jumps off and turns the speakers off.

15 minutes later she wanders back, telling us how she'd bumped into a friend in another dept and got chatting, sits down, tsks about the speakers being off, turns them on and up -- and flies back and shrieks as an email comes in and the Lamb Chop theme blares out.

I happen to like "this is the song that doesn't end", but it is in the top 10 of most annoying songs of all time. Especially when played for 2 minutes.

This lady obviously wasn't a fan, and freaked, demanding to know what had been done and how could we do it and how could it be changed back. After we stopped laughing, it was pointed out that turning off he speakers would solve the problem, but if she insisted it could be rearranged back. But also that if she left the speakers on anything above whisper, there was a good chance it would happen again.

She sulked, but as the office was against her, could do nothing but agree. Didn't learn for another few days though. I believe Metallica and Def Leopard were involved the next day. Then someone supplied 'Sheik of Scrubby Creek' (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWfFFMcfEt4 Warning: this song has to be heard to be believed. Australians do country a little differently to the rest of you).

Within 1 minute of good old Chad, she'd asked for the speakers to be disconnected and taken away. I left shortly after for another office, but I made sure the USB stick was passed on, in case she recovered from Chad too quickly.

I love the Lamb Chop theme, even after my nephews used to sing it endlessly. I'd probably have let it stay on just to drive the rest of you crazier. ;D
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Lorelei_Evil

But --

Tears of laughter.  Tears, I tell you!

MrTango

On my team, if someone walks away from their computer without locking it (i.e. they are no longer within sight of the machine, not just going to the printer), they'll come back to find their display flipped upside down.

Having that happen once or twice is enough for most people to learn their lesson.

Kaymyth

On my team, if someone walks away from their computer without locking it (i.e. they are no longer within sight of the machine, not just going to the printer), they'll come back to find their display flipped upside down.

Having that happen once or twice is enough for most people to learn their lesson.

I do it to my teammates all the time.  It's especially fun when I get my lead.  He'll come back to his desk, and I hear this shout of, "Dangit, Rosemary!"  It's quite satisfying. :D