News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 06, 2016, 02:51:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Did they deserve a share of the grape-goo-filled marshmallows?  (Read 1659 times)

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
Did they deserve a share of the grape-goo-filled marshmallows?
« on: September 06, 2011, 11:55:30 PM »
Went to pub trivia today. We did fairly well, placing in a tie for 4th. The 4th place prize was supposed to be a gift card for a free haircut at a local budget cutter; 5th was "funny Japanese marshmallows," but since there was a tie for 4th, the host decided to call for a dance-off for the haircut certificate. He called for a member of each team to enter the dance-off. Nobody from my relatively stodgy group stood, so I did. ... I do NOT dance! I am a complete spaz. I do not know why I stood. I didn't want the haircut.

Anyway, the dance-off would have been humiliating if it were just the DJ, the other contestant and me. But it was a bar full of people! And the song was some kind of chaotic, unfamiliar hip-hop. I did terribly, all elbows and no rhythm. I told the DJ to just give the prize to the other girl, but he insisted on judging by applause. She got a roar (apparently her dance was the actual moves from the music video, done well). I got my team and the four guys right in front of me giving polite golf claps.

I "won" the marshmallows. My teammate took a picture; we passed them around so everyone could see the funny images on the package -- happy sun, leaky marshmallow, etc.; we paid our tabs and left.

Now I'm home, with a package of about 15 individually wrapped marshmallows, wondering: Should I have shared the pack with my teammates?

I guess I wouldn't have had the (humiliating, if hilarious) "opportunity" to win them if my team hadn't done so well as a whole, but I didn't even think to share them at the time. Chances are good I won't even eat all of them, even though I am excited to have a marshmallow for the first time in many years (American marshmallows have ingredients I don't eat). I feel like I earned those marshmallows, silly as it is.

This is mostly me sharing a silly story (hence the 'coffee break' folder), but I am curious: Would you have shared them?  Any similarly silly stories of goofy prizes won in arbitrary 'contests'?

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
Re: Did they deserve a share of the grape-goo-filled marshmallows?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 12:28:52 AM »
I wouldn't share them. . . But then again. . I LOVE THOSE!

Silversurfer

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 12:32:08 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it! The girl who got the haircut voucher wont be sharing her prize, so why should you?
Love the photo btw!

Lindee

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:53:22 AM »
One haircut voucher as a prize for a team of people?    At least the sweets could be shared, though as you were the only one willing to dance I think you deserve them all.

Bluenomi

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 12:57:47 AM »
I don't think it really matters either way. It might have to nice to share but they didn't dance so they don't deserve them   :D

Off topic, this post has an ad for a dog groomer on it for me  ;D

Baxter

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 12:59:37 AM »
Share the marshmellows! No way, did they share the dancing - no they were all your moves.  :D

Good on you for gettin up and groovin', enjoy the marshmellows.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 08:48:04 AM »

Hahaha! I was too afraid to open them last night. Maybe today, with your endorsement!

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 10:55:35 AM »
I would have shared them if the team wasn't too many so you could keep the majority.  And I think you should share them with me too.  ;)

But if the team was large and it would leave you with only a few, I wouldn't share unless asked.

#borecore

• Extreme normcore
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 11:31:04 AM »
I would have shared them if the team wasn't too many so you could keep the majority.  And I think you should share them with me too.  ;)

But if the team was large and it would leave you with only a few, I wouldn't share unless asked.

There were just 3 other team members.

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 12:29:31 PM »
If they wanted one they would have asked.  I would have asked for one.  :)  Since they didn't ask, I don't think they really cared.

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 02:30:03 PM »

Hahaha! I was too afraid to open them last night. Maybe today, with your endorsement!

My dolls come from Asia and a lot of the companies stuff a few treats in with the dolls. Like those marshmallows. To me they are almost like powdered and filled jelly doughnuts. Now I am craving some!

Cyradis

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 02:43:21 PM »
I would have shared because I don't like marshmallows that much; I might eat a Peep's treat once a year or something like that. But you earned the marshmallows with your dancing, in my opinion, so you're entitled to keep them and enjoy them.

I must add that I looked at this thread title for quite a while wondering if grape-goo-filled marshmallows were a good or bad thing. Were "they" transgressors to be punished or etiquette mavens to be rewarded with these intriguing and unusual treats.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 02:46:16 PM by Cyradis »

RainhaDoTexugo

• got married!
  • Tatum!
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 02:50:54 PM »
I might save them each a marshmallow or two, since they did participate in the trivia part, but the bulk of them are all yours :)  I hope you enjoy them!

jpcher

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 05:19:43 PM »
I probably would have opened the package and passed it around. Whatever was left is mine to take home.

But then, again, I'm not big on marshmallows.

I think you were fine, after all you did the goofy dance! ;D