Author Topic: Re RSVP's...Please tell me you can't top this!  (Read 5801 times)

jibby

Re RSVP's...Please tell me you can't top this!
« on: April 21, 2007, 06:27:14 PM »
Hi Friends!  I'm on my way to a BBQ, but I had to post about something that happened earlier this afternoon.  I worked registration at a catered event for our department today.  A gentleman (well, not really) walked in and said he hadn't RSVP'd.  No problem, we always figure on a certain percentage of walk-ins.

I asked him how many in his party (most people had four or so family members as guests).  He said...17!!  Yes, that's right, seventeen.  No apologies and he acted like it was the most natural thing in the world.  This was a buffet meal, not sit-down, but still.  Seventeen extra guests.  And all I could think was, "the second I leave I am going to post about this".   :o

Please tell me no one has an even worse RSVP horror story. 

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
Re: Re RSVP's...Please tell me you can't top this!
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2007, 06:53:52 PM »
Half the people who attended my wedding didn't bother to RSVP....actually more than half. Fortunately we were having a fingerfood and cake reception so no real money was lost....but still.....
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Telmereth

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 07:17:46 PM »
When I held my 21st birthday dinner, people were asked to please RSVP by a certain date since they had to choose the food they wanted (as we were going to be a large party) in advance. Still, on the night, three of my old school friends showed up unannounced, claiming that they were sure that I 'would have assumed they were coming'... yeah, okay...
Luckily the chef was an old family friend who was willing to cater for the three unplanned meals.
So, okay, I can't top the 17 extra guests, but it was still pretty annoying!

AprilRenee

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2007, 07:22:45 PM »
Can't top 17 guests!

When my daughter had her birthday we had specific crafts planned. To where we were buying supplies for each child and we needed an exact head count. I did NOT put the address for the party on the invitations, just asked people to call for directions when RSVPing. I gave a specific date to rsvp, about 2 days before the party actually was being held.

These are parents I see nearly every day when I drop off or pick up my daughter from school. Anyone of them could have approached me there. None did. Instead parents called the DAY of the party wanting directions. SOME whle the party was already going on!

loopey2u

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2007, 10:32:43 PM »
One of my hubby's old employers used to have a picnic at his house every year for the employees and their immediate families. 

A few of the people showed up with all their long-lost relatives in tow, and basically had a family reunion/day out at the employers expense.   

There was one fellow who arrived in a limo to the BBQ (don't ask, he was kind of weird) and then before he left proceeded to pack up some of the leftovers and take them home with him.  Employer had VERY good catered food at his bbq, and it wasn't cheap. 

Needless to say, limo boy didn't have a job come Monday, but boy was that sure fun to watch.  I think we were all just watching him with our jaws on the floor for having the nerve to take as much food home with him as he did.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2007, 10:45:04 PM »
At the wedding of the child of a friend of my mother's, 20% of the Yes RSVP's didn't show. 

IndianInlaw

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2007, 08:51:45 AM »
Nobody's going to top the 17 uninvited guests.

When my sister was planning her wedding, her MIL's friends and family gave their response cards to  MIL.

MIL DID NOT pass them along to my sister.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2007, 04:38:50 PM »
This didn't happen to me, but when I was going to fittings for my wedding dress, I asked the seamstress if she had any zilla stories. 

She had one client who addressed the invitation to Mr. and Mrs. Jones and family.  Now, most people would think their immediate family in the household to include the kids.  However, these people thought it meant their ENTIRE family.  They responded with 30+ people - which included Grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles, and inlaws. 

Her mom had to call the family originally invited and tell them that only they were invited with their three kids.  The people were upset and didn't attend.   :o

Lunadiana75

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 06:41:28 AM »
This didn't happen to me, but when I was going to fittings for my wedding dress, I asked the seamstress if she had any zilla stories. 

She had one client who addressed the invitation to Mr. and Mrs. Jones and family.  Now, most people would think their immediate family in the household to include the kids.  However, these people thought it meant their ENTIRE family.  They responded with 30+ people - which included Grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles, and inlaws. 

Her mom had to call the family originally invited and tell them that only they were invited with their three kids.  The people were upset and didn't attend.   :o

I think in this case, it's a very good thing they didn't attend!

Dragons 8 Cactus

• Aussie's Rule
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2007, 07:07:12 AM »
Can't top 17 guests!

When my daughter had her birthday we had specific crafts planned. To where we were buying supplies for each child and we needed an exact head count. I did NOT put the address for the party on the invitations, just asked people to call for directions when RSVPing. I gave a specific date to rsvp, about 2 days before the party actually was being held.

These are parents I see nearly every day when I drop off or pick up my daughter from school. Anyone of them could have approached me there. None did. Instead parents called the DAY of the party wanting directions. SOME whle the party was already going on!

I'd love to know what you told these 'latecommers'

Did you tell them it was now too late ?

The Southern Cross Flag. Australia

AprilRenee

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2007, 06:25:56 PM »
Can't top 17 guests!

I'd love to know what you told these 'latecommers'

Did you tell them it was now too late ?

I sort of anticipated some of them, so I bought a few extras. Ididn't think though, that more than 3 or 4 would be calling the day before or the day of. So, the first 3 got away with it. I couldn't think of a polite way to say "But it really would have been nice if you had rsvp'd"

After that I said "I'm sorry, I don't have enough supplies to be able to include your child in the activities. I only bought enough for those who called by the 24th to say they were coming"

I don't think anyone really complained much (I didn't answer all the calls, my mom fended a few)

All in all we had 8 (yes EIGHT) people called the day of

jibby

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 04:16:50 PM »
Good grief, I thought my guy had the worst behavior ever.  I don't know whether to scream or cry at the responses!

The 30+ uninvited wedding near-guests take the cake. 

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 04:30:26 PM »
I have a story on the EHell site, originally posted to the previous board, about someone who brought 6 univited guests to Christmas dinner. She didn't tell the extra guests that they were uninvited until they were driving over for dinner because "now the hosts can't turn you away."  It's HolidayHell0426-06 about midway down the page.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Raintree

• Super Hero!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2007, 03:50:37 AM »
I have a story on the EHell site, originally posted to the previous board, about someone who brought 6 univited guests to Christmas dinner. She didn't tell the extra guests that they were uninvited until they were driving over for dinner because "now the hosts can't turn you away."  It's HolidayHell0426-06 about midway down the page.

Oh my. That's quite a story. Unbelievable.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 09:28:28 AM »

Oh my. That's quite a story. Unbelievable.

When I first read that one, I was really hoping it was made up.  :-X