Author Topic: Re RSVP's...Please tell me you can't top this!  (Read 5948 times)

jibby

Re: Re RSVP's...Please tell me you can't top this!
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2007, 05:45:33 PM »
I have a story on the EHell site, originally posted to the previous board, about someone who brought 6 univited guests to Christmas dinner. She didn't tell the extra guests that they were uninvited until they were driving over for dinner because "now the hosts can't turn you away."  It's HolidayHell0426-06 about midway down the page.

There are no words for those people.  I am so sorry your husband (and all of you) had to endure that mess.

willow08

• Back on the caffeine wagon
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 09:34:27 AM »
I have a story on the EHell site, originally posted to the previous board, about someone who brought 6 univited guests to Christmas dinner. She didn't tell the extra guests that they were uninvited until they were driving over for dinner because "now the hosts can't turn you away."  It's HolidayHell0426-06 about midway down the page.

That is one of the most horrifying stories on the site.

Wow.

I salute you.
Icing is the greatest invention known to man.  It's edible glue.  How awesome is that?- Ralphie May

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2007, 09:58:09 AM »

This is one of the few times when karma did not bite the deserving..........that no one at the "party" got shingles is amazing.

DS had been ill a day or two earlier (ER until 6 am) when I had family members dropping by on their way through town for dinner (their hotel room was an hour down the road - closer to Texas and the rest of the extended family).  Aunt K brought her not-yet-house-broken puppy..........it's been submitted - I forget if it has been posted or not (to the main site).

I got the same symptoms after midnight - and called them to let them know as they were heading for her mother's house (my maternal grandmother) who was 85 that year..............not an age when illness can be shrugged off lightly.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 06:02:46 PM »
At the wedding of the child of a friend of my mother's, 20% of the Yes RSVP's didn't show. 

At my wedding it was closer to 50%. :|

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 06:43:55 PM »
At the wedding of the child of a friend of my mother's, 20% of the Yes RSVP's didn't show. 

That really stinks!  What did these people say to you when you saw them later? 
That is my biggest fear whenever I throw an ordinary party.  For good friends, I try to show right on time (or pre-arranged early) just to add the body count at the start. 

kiero

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 09:32:02 PM »
Why don't people call the guests who don't RSVP?????  I called the few people we didn't hear from for our wedding.  Most of them were 'NOs' - and most were university friends of our who I guess didn't know you had to send them in regardless if you were coming. 

But I am always floored that people just let the day come without trying to findout if people are comign or not...

jibby

« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2007, 04:25:51 PM »
Why don't people call the guests who don't RSVP?????  I called the few people we didn't hear from for our wedding.  Most of them were 'NOs' - and most were university friends of our who I guess didn't know you had to send them in regardless if you were coming. 

But I am always floored that people just let the day come without trying to findout if people are comign or not...

In our situation, we did call and/or e-mail over 40 people.  Mr. 17 Guests never returned our phone call. 

mchernan

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2007, 04:47:42 PM »
We had a casual BBQ backyard reception with "regrets only" on the invites, with about 300 people invited.  Granted we had tons of room and food, but not one person called with regrets, and many did not show.  Namely my new husband's family, but they always want an RSVP????  Although I would have had a mini stroke with 17 univited guests!

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2007, 06:35:02 PM »
I do think that having 'regrets only' on an invite could be a tad confusing to people. That could explain why many don't show under those circumstances. Having the RSVP for both yes or no makes more sense.

Texas Mom

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2007, 10:53:06 AM »
I do think that having 'regrets only' on an invite could be a tad confusing to people. That could explain why many don't show under those circumstances. Having the RSVP for both yes or no makes more sense.

I made the mistake of "regrets only" ONE TIME & won't do it again. 

Summrs

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2007, 02:11:21 PM »
that no one at the "party" got shingles is amazing.

Shingles is not contagious.  It's a secondary outbreak of a previous chicken pox outbreak.  People could, conceivably, get chicken pox from contact with someone with shingles, if they haven't had chicken pox before.

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2007, 02:14:33 PM »
that no one at the "party" got shingles is amazing.

Shingles is not contagious.  It's a secondary outbreak of a previous chicken pox outbreak.  People could, conceivably, get chicken pox from contact with someone with shingles, if they haven't had chicken pox before.
Yes, that's why we had to notify the mother of the toddler about the shingles, and why it was silly that Daisy Mae complained that she and her husband were going to get sick. It would be extremely unlikely that people of their age would never have had chicken pox before.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2007, 06:24:16 PM »
Yes, that's why we had to notify the mother of the toddler about the shingles, and why it was silly that Daisy Mae complained that she and her husband were going to get sick. It would be extremely unlikely that people of their age would never have had chicken pox before.

I gave my mother Chicken Pox when I got it.  Her childhood case had been very light, and the immunity wears off.  She was much more miserable than me.  I thought it was cool.  I would get a days worth of school work done by 9am then watch TV. 

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2007, 08:13:12 PM »

That really stinks!  What did these people say to you when you saw them later? 

The only one who gave a 'real' answer (i.e. this is what actually happened, rather than a white lie to make us feel better), was my brother-in-law, who finally admitted that his now-ex wife had picked a fight with him that morning, so she could refuse to go (she admitted her motivations later). And refuse to let the kids go.

My DH has not spoken to her since. I don't much blame him.