Etiquette School is in session! > The Ehell Guide to Never Behaving Badly

Forum Decorum

(1/10) > >>

Ehelldame:
A new subject...how to behave on forums.  All forums, not just this one so the rules should be general to fit a wide audience. 

Venus193:
Please read the entire thread before responding.  It is tiresome for the originator of the discussion to answer the same questions multiple times; it makes him/her feel that you haven't been paying attention.

Read back your response before you hit the "post" key to get a sense of how it will come off to others.  You don't want your attitude to be misperceived.

Just Lori:
Paragraph breaks are your friend.

Consider nicknames or false names, rather than calling people A, B, and C. 

Live by Scritzy's Coke rule.

If the forum has an "ignore" feature, use it.  If there is no such feature, manually exercise this right by ignoring posts by people who drive you nuts.

ShadesOfGrey:
If I may, Ehelldame, I think the rules you've posted for this forum (with just a bit of tweaking) actually can be applied to almost any other forum.  So I submit the tweaked rules:

By registering to join any forum and have posting privileges, you are entering into an agreement to abide by the rules of that forum. If you do not believe you can honor the rules, please refrain from registering.

Before creating a new thread, considerd several things: Have you explained your situation fully so others donít find out important details 300 messages into the thread?

Also, think before you reply to a post and ask yourself if you are: 1) focusing on the topic, 2) being helpful in your response, 3) Am I about to be deliberately offensive?, 4) Am I taking up an offense too easily? If you donít have anything productive to say, donít bother saying it.   

If you donít like the moderators, the forum owner, or the way a forum is moderated, please donít register and post. It should go without saying that adults know how to walk away quietly from forums they dislike whereas children rant and leave Good Bye Cruel Forum posts.

Someone, sometime in a forum will annoy the bejeebers out of you. Adults will try to resolve it first in Private Messaging or email, children have spats on the forum that can get one or both parties gagged or banned.  Please exercise self control in mentally ignoring irritating people. And we really donít want to know who you have placed on ďIgnoreĒ.

The Coke Rule applies:
1. If a post annoys me, count to ten before replying.
2. If a post angers me, count to a hundred.
3. If a post infuriates me, shut down the computer and drink Coke.
And btw, the Coke Rule was originally meant to be applied quietly to oneself, without announcing your reaction that you'll soon be imbibing.

hot_shaker:

--- Quote from: Inigo Montoya on April 17, 2009, 08:45:15 AM ---The Coke Rule applies:
1. If a post annoys me, count to ten before replying.
2. If a post angers me, count to a hundred.
3. If a post infuriates me, shut down the computer and drink Coke.
And btw, the Coke Rule was originally meant to be applied quietly to oneself, without announcing your reaction that you'll soon be imbibing.

--- End quote ---

As an add on . . .

If, even after drinking the entire case of Coke, you are still infuriated, it's okay to just walk away.  Sometimes a particular subject or comment just really rubs us the wrong way making it almost impossible to respond politely.  Usually you know your sensitive or hot button subjects, which you can then avoid, but sometimes a strong, emotional reaction almost inexplicable (maybe due to personal issues rather than the topic). 

It's hard but sometimes it's best to just let it go.  You can choose to reply to the thread that the subject is too emotional and you need to bow out but it's okay to quietly disappear too.  (I know some people feel it's rude to vanish mid-conversation.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version