Etiquette School is in session! > Complete Silence

Complete Silence worked for me :)

(1/9) > >>

YogaChick:
This happened last year, but I thought it'd be worth sharing.  Anyway, I was riding the bus one day, and some guy (maybe in his thirties, maybe older) got on and asked, "do you go to XYZ University?"  I responded in the affirmative, and he started talking about the lanyard/keychain he'd bought from there, even though he wasn't affiliated with the school in any way.  This was fine, but the WAY he said it was just like it was something to be proud of.  For example, he said, "So, I walked into the student union building, had a drink of water, bought that keychain, and left!!!"; as if he'd somehow "cheated the system."  I kept my mouth shut about this, but he just kept talking.  Anyway, after a few more minutes of this one-sided "conversation" (well, two-sided, because the bus driver was participating too, as it was just the three of us on the bus, and we were right near the front), he pointed out the key on the end of his keychain, and he said, "If I gave you this key, you could come over to my house tonight."  I didn't say anything, and I just looked past him, out the window.  He repeated what he'd said, and I still didn't say anything.  At that, he got frustrated with my lack of response and said, "Geez, girl, can't you see I'm trying to pick you up?!?!?!"; to which I replied, "Yeah, I knew that, I was giving you a chance to save face."  The bus driver almost died laughing.

MaggieB:
The guy strikes me as being more irritating than rude.  Your response to him was unnecessarily snarky and intended to embarrass him.  I think you should have said (once) "I'm sorry, I'm really not in the mood to chat tonight," and then met any more conversation attempts with silence.

shuniah:
Yes, it's terrible to be slightly snarky to strange men on the bus who are using blantant come-ons.  ::)

Alida:

--- Quote from: shuniah on April 18, 2009, 01:13:04 AM ---Yes, it's terrible to be slightly snarky to strange men on the bus who are using blantant come-ons.  ::)

--- End quote ---

That's called retaliatory rudeness and is not something that is appropriate, etiquette-wise.  There were better ways of handling his come on without being rude, as a PP has already noted.

YogaChick:

--- Quote from: MaggieB on April 18, 2009, 12:43:15 AM ---The guy strikes me as being more irritating than rude.  Your response to him was unnecessarily snarky and intended to embarrass him.  I think you should have said (once) "I'm sorry, I'm really not in the mood to chat tonight," and then met any more conversation attempts with silence.

--- End quote ---

Actually, Maggie, it wasn't entirely intentional--I was just so baffled by what he'd said (I mean, he was basically asking me, a complete stranger, to come over to his house, probably to have sex with him), that I couldn't speak.  After that, I told him I was "giving him a chance to save face." 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version