Author Topic: Here is hoping I can pull this off...  (Read 3432 times)

dawbs

Here is hoping I can pull this off...
« on: December 16, 2006, 10:27:24 PM »
with Mr. Dawbs' grandfather's passing, the holidays are kinda sombre so far this year.

Normally, a week or 2 before Christmas, once a few of the relatives are in town (siblings and grandparents who travel here) we host a small holiday gathering.  This is always a bit of a challenge because we have a small house.  (we can't have formal dinner because our kitchen table seats 4...we don't have a dining room, etc).  It always works, but it's a challenge.

Well, I Mr. Dawbs really wants to have the party...trying to keep things rather normal.  This was going to prove especially challenging because of some family issues(right now a lot of people are trying to manipulate, and we're ignoring passive-aggressive attempts...fairly effectively so far, but it does take its toll)

So all were invited, my family, the inlaws, the outoftownfolks, etc.  It was, all told about 12 people--about 5 more than normally come.

We started doing things, and unexpectedly a few important guests need to leave town, so we changed the date and time...now everyone is coming over tomorrow afternoon/evening...it's the only time it works for most of our guests.

I kinda wasn't prepared for that.  SO I've been busy today.

The house is moderately clean, I bought pre-made appetizers from big-box-warehouse-membership style stores (no need for a kitchen table, and I have tv trays...), I made snack desserts (potato candy and chocolate dipped pretzels and puppy chow--normally I have Christmas cookies by now, but I kinda spent the weekend I was supposed to be doing that at a funeral...), I wrapped the presents (so people can't accidentally see them), I borrowed chairs, I have wine in the fridge (for those who aren't alcoholics or tee-totalers...)I got as much of the cat hair as possible off the chairs, I threw out the dead plants, I got out board games and card games...

*deep breaths*

It'll be fine right?  and I won't kill "Aunt Janice".  probably.

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
Re: Here is hoping I can pull this off...
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 10:30:55 PM »
Just keep repeating, "The paperwork is not worth it!" to yourself and think how lucky Aunt Janice is that you don't want to do paperwork.

Good luck!

gjcva1

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 10:53:54 PM »
dawbs,
considering how much has gone on this week, and how you have had to adapt the usual plans, i think you are doing just great!  your preparations sound just wonderful.  just keep on ignoring the whole p/s stuff, and remember that you can't kill any of the irritating relatives during the holidays.  we'll figure out a better time to do that later. 

it will be fine, really. 

sammycat

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 12:35:12 AM »
It sounds like it will be a lot of fun. Just remember, if you do kill Aunt Janice, try not to do it on the carpet as it can be a real pain to get blood out of it.

Lynda_34

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 09:07:24 AM »
It sounds like it will be a lot of fun. Just remember, if you do kill Aunt Janice, try not to do it on the carpet as it can be a real pain to get blood out of it.

You mean club soda doesn't work for that? ???
Peroxide does though. ;)

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2006, 09:59:45 AM »

You mean club soda doesn't work for that? ???
Peroxide does though. ;)

Yeah -- and then there is that whole "What do I do with the body" problem.  The neighbors just might notice you digging a hole in your back yard. (at Midnight) <giggle>

But it doesen't mean that you can't enjoy a little fantasy now and then when it gets too much.
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Maggie

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 03:33:28 PM »
one word.... lime  :o  takes care of all the odors and the body :P