Author Topic: GimmePigs: Grape Kool-Aide On Superbowl Sunday !!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 9374 times)

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
Re: GimmePigs: Grape Kool-Aide On Superbowl Sunday !!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2009, 05:09:21 AM »

The only two problems I can see here are the people who sneaked out to watch tv at a wedding reception (surely two people making a lifelong commitment is more important than a football match? If it is so i mportant to you then video the thing) and passing round the plate at the reception and haranguing the guests. Both of which are extremely rude.

The Super Bowl is huge here in the US- they have special commercials during the game and a big name star or group doing the half-time show. Lots of people who don't even like football will have Super Bowl parties.

It's kind of like our World Cup championship game- people want to watch it and if your party isn't going to have a TV going showing it, you're likely to have a lot of people declining the party.

I still think it's rude to sneak out and watch TV. I don't care how huge some people think a sporting event is, it is extremely rude to sneak off during a wedding reception and watch tv- whether the event is Superbowl Sunday, the World Cup Final or The Olympics. If guests would rather watch TV than go to a wedding reception they should decline the invitation.
NE England

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2009, 11:05:40 AM »
Bit OT, but the "TV/Big Game during the reception" discussion reminded me of this.

Does anyone here in the US remember a TV ad (I think it was for corn chips) about the male half of the wedding party hiding out in a coat closet watching "The Game" on a small TV? The bride and her BMs find them, and the bride comments, "Oh, good, the game's on!" and sits right down with the guys! A groomsman comments to the groom, "She's great!" or something like that.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

SportsFan88

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2009, 02:01:29 PM »
Bit OT, but the "TV/Big Game during the reception" discussion reminded me of this.

Does anyone here in the US remember a TV ad (I think it was for corn chips) about the male half of the wedding party hiding out in a coat closet watching "The Game" on a small TV? The bride and her BMs find them, and the bride comments, "Oh, good, the game's on!" and sits right down with the guys! A groomsman comments to the groom, "She's great!" or something like that.

A true fan wouldn't have scheduled their wedding during the game in the first place. ;D

Well behaved women rarely make history ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
America is the land of opportunity, not entitlement.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2009, 08:11:10 PM »

A true fan wouldn't have scheduled their wedding during the game in the first place. ;D
Unless the reception was dinner followed by everyone watching the game and eating snacks. ;D

The LW was as rude as the couple. The couple passed around a plate asking for money twice, which is terrible. The LW was judgemental about the content and (perceived) quality of the reception, and complained that grown adults were somehow "forced" to attend an event. Her husband makes the further rude mistake of watching the game at the wedding.

If you would rather watch the Superbowl than attend the wedding, then send your regrets on the RSVP card (whether or not your wife RSVPs "yes"), write a card for them (since you can't be there) and then enjoy the game. If you go, go properly. Don't watch the game during the reception.

Two "rudes" make... lots of rudeness.
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2010, 11:36:38 AM »
We get there, to find it's a dry wedding, with wine glasses full of grape kool-aide. Asharah's comment: None of this is a faux-pas

Isn't it a bit of a faux pas (not a big one, though) to serve non-alcoholic drinks in wine glasses, rather than the kind of glass you'd normally use for water/juice/soda, at an event such as a wedding?
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2010, 03:16:55 PM »
Personally I do think serving only kool-aide at an adult event is not good hostessing.

Baptist Wedding I would assume was going to be dry.

Scheduling on Superbowl Sunday - only rude if they complain about the hordes of people declining.

I to am surprised at a Sunday Wedding - because most churches I know are already booked solid on Sundays with worship and don't allow weddings on Sunday.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Mopsy428

« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2010, 04:53:06 PM »
The letter doesn't come out and say that the only thing being served was kool-aid. The HC could have been serving other beverages, and opted for "kool-aid" in wine glasses for a toast or something, which the LW (who comes off as a royal snob) found distasteful--and that's why the LW mentioned it.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2010, 02:07:28 PM »
Isn't it a bit of a faux pas (not a big one, though) to serve non-alcoholic drinks in wine glasses, rather than the kind of glass you'd normally use for water/juice/soda, at an event such as a wedding?

No.

magicdomino

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2010, 02:24:10 PM »
I suspect that the wedding was scheduled well before the day for the Superbowl was announced.  I'm not sure how far in advance one would know -- are there Superbowl calendars for the next few years?  Heck, if the invitations go out a couple months in advance, how many people would recognize it as Superbowl Sunday?

Serving grape Kool-aid to adults?  Not rude, but it won't endear your guests to you unless some more grown-up beverages like tea and coffee are also available.  Christian rock?  No more rude than country or classical music.  While I can understand that the entertainment isn't nearly as interesting as a good Superbowl commercial, that's still not an excuse for sneaking off to watch TV.  If the reception is really that unbearable, then come up with a plausible excuse to leave early. 

Passing the plate to pay for grape Kool-aid and mystery meatballs?  No.  Just no.

Hushabye

• Super Hero!
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2010, 02:31:47 PM »
I suspect that the wedding was scheduled well before the day for the Superbowl was announced.  I'm not sure how far in advance one would know -- are there Superbowl calendars for the next few years?  Heck, if the invitations go out a couple months in advance, how many people would recognize it as Superbowl Sunday?

>snip<

Just wanted to comment on this (I agree with the rest of what you posted): The NFL announced the date and location for Super Bowl XLVII, which will be held on February 3, 2013, in New Orleans ten months ago.  So the information most likely was available to the HC in this story.  In addition, it has consistently been held on the first Sunday in February for a few years now; before that, it was usually the last Sunday in January, I think (or I'm mistaken and it's always been the first Sunday in February, but I could have sworn that it got pushed back within the past ten years).

My guess would be that the bride and groom just weren't big football fans, so it didn't occur to them to check to see when the Super Bowl was.  I'm surprised that more guests didn't decline since they wanted to watch the game.

shhh its me

• Super Hero!
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2010, 02:45:39 PM »
   I don't think it's rude for LW to be judgemental....in private or anonymously. It's not rude to think something.  I took the " whatever" to mean "It was not to my taste but it wasn't my wedding so whatever floats the bride's boat"

Really loud music might fall under poor hosting.  Sneaking out to watch the TV rude. Passing the plate to pay for the reception stunning passing it again because there was not enough astonishing.

Amava

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2010, 02:51:48 PM »

No.
Agreed, no. On the contrary, I think it is very nice when non-alcoholic beverages are served in festive glasses.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2010, 03:02:07 PM »
Yech, grape Kool-Aid. I thought my DF was the only person on Earth who considers that stuff potable.

Mmmm

I love grape kool-aid.

And every family wedding for us involves grape and cherry koolaid. It started as a drink for the little kiddos. (childfree weddings are a no-no... but the kids always behave better than the adults...) But then the adults started using it as a mixer.

My cousin forgot the koolaid at his wedding, and his best man and I had to run to the store for some... The bride was crying.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2010, 03:04:25 PM »

Unless the reception was dinner followed by everyone watching the game and eating snacks. ;D

The LW was as rude as the couple. The couple passed around a plate asking for money twice, which is terrible. The LW was judgemental about the content and (perceived) quality of the reception, and complained that grown adults were somehow "forced" to attend an event. Her husband makes the further rude mistake of watching the game at the wedding.

If you would rather watch the Superbowl than attend the wedding, then send your regrets on the RSVP card (whether or not your wife RSVPs "yes"), write a card for them (since you can't be there) and then enjoy the game. If you go, go properly. Don't watch the game during the reception.

Two "rudes" make... lots of rudeness.

You were at my aunt's wedding? Did you see my bridesmaid dress? Wasn't it awful?

lol

Pinky830

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2010, 03:13:42 PM »
If the reception was at the church, serving alcohol would have been a HUGE faux pas. Every Baptist church I'm familiar with will absolutely not allow alcohol on the premises. Even if by some fluke it was allowed, if the guests were mostly Baptist, there would have been at least a few people there who would have been offended.