Author Topic: Out to win a Cake Bakeoff - ideas?  (Read 4399 times)

Fluffy_Brit_Bunny

Out to win a Cake Bakeoff - ideas?
« on: December 07, 2006, 06:54:40 AM »
Hi,

Our department at work is integrating with another, and we're having a group bakeoff  ;D I love cakes and baking, so this is a great chance for me to make an impression with the other dept.

Do you have any fantastic, killer recipes? I'm UK based so I'd prefer weight measurements to cups and sticks, but I can convert at a pinch. The definition of cake is quite broad, so I'm thinking cakey brownies, etc would be cool.

All ideas gratefully received with a big thank you!

ehellion

Re: Out to win a Cake Bakeoff - ideas?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 11:32:37 AM »
If you look under The Cookbook Project, then look under cakes, I've posted a to die for Irish Cream Bundt Cake recipe. I don't know how to convert the cups though. Sorry. This cake is delicious, moist and never lasts very long in my house. It does have pre-packaged things in it (jello and cake mix) so I don't know if that's against rules of your bake-off.

ehellion

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 11:36:05 AM »
Here it is....
1 (18.5oz) package yellow cake mix
1 (3.4oz) package instant vanilla pudding mix
4 eggs
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3/4 cup Irish Cream Liqueur
1/2 cup softened butter
1/4 cup water (again)
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup Irish Cream (again)

Pre-heat oven to 325. Grease & flour 10" bundt cake pan. In a large bowl combine cake & pudding mix. Mix in eggs, 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup oil, 3/4 cup Irish Cream and beat on high speed with electric mixer for 5 minutes. Pour into bundt pan and bake for 60 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
Cool for 10 minutes, then place on serving dish. wingadingdingy tops and sides of cake with fork.

Glaze: In a large saucepan combine butter, 1/4 cup water and 1 cup sugar. Bring to a boil and boil 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in 1/4 cup Irish Cream.

Spoon glaze over cake & brush onto sides of cake. Let it absorb into cake. Repeat until glaze is used up (or until cake can't take anymore, lol. which is usaually the case.)

This is my husband's FAVORITE dessert. And he doesn't even like liqueurs.

Xanthia, Maker of fine Tin-foil hats since 2007

• Xanthia the Great
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 11:40:05 AM »
I have a recipe at home for a "Pumpkin Roll"  I understand canned pumpkin may be hard to come by there, so let me know if you are interested.

It is basically a pumpkin spice sponge cake with a cream cheese filling, and if you place a paper doily over it and dust it with powedered sugar after, it looks REALLY pretty.  I won a bake-off with it when I worked for Disney.

NotCinderell

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 03:28:43 PM »
An ex boyfriend and I made up this recipe together  It requires 3 layer cake pans.

Chocolate raspberry cake

Your favorite chocolate cake recipe for a 2-layer cake (preferably one that uses a lot of cocoa)
Your favorite chocolate buttercream frosting recipe
1 1/2 cups frozen raspberries
seedless raspberry jam
1 package fresh raspberries

Mix cake according to recipe.  Beat frozen raspberries into batter (do NOT defrost them).  Divite batter between 3 greased cake pans.  Bake until toothpick comes out clean (they're thinner than two layers, so be vigilant).  Allow to cool. 

Make buttercream.  Frost bottom layer with buttercream.  Take out second layer.  Spread bottom of layer with raspberry jam.  Put second layer on first layer.  Spread top of second layer with buttercream.  Repeat with top layer and frost the rest of cake with buttercream.  Arrange fresh raspberries on top.

ehellion

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 03:49:55 PM »
I have a recipe at home for a "Pumpkin Roll"  I understand canned pumpkin may be hard to come by there, so let me know if you are interested.

It is basically a pumpkin spice sponge cake with a cream cheese filling, and if you place a paper doily over it and dust it with powedered sugar after, it looks REALLY pretty.  I won a bake-off with it when I worked for Disney.
I'm definitely interested. Will you post it please?

Xanthia, Maker of fine Tin-foil hats since 2007

• Xanthia the Great
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 05:08:35 PM »
I will put it in the cook book section tonight.

Fluffy_Brit_Bunny

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 05:32:51 PM »
Thanks Xan, I was about to reply with a request for the recipe. These look fantastic.

Is Yellow Cake Mix a standard packet of cake mix? I can buy that easily and the Irish liquor will go down a treat.

ehellion

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2006, 10:31:55 PM »
Yes, just a regular package of yellow cake mix like Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker. Trust me, this cake is a real treat. My husband is requesting I make it for his birthday. My Mom also wants one for her Christmas Present. Just wait until the rest of the family finds out, I'll never get out of the kitchen, lol.