Author Topic: Christmas cookie ideas!  (Read 2566 times)

jfulle5

Christmas cookie ideas!
« on: December 06, 2006, 12:37:30 AM »
I have to bring cookies to a christmas party on saturday. Any ideas of what to bring?

ZipTheWonder

Re: Christmas cookie ideas!
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 12:47:54 AM »
These are yummy.  Use the red/white/green M&M mix that's out right now:

ROAD TRIP COOKIES

2 1/2 cup All-purpose flour
1 tsp Baking soda
1/2 tsp Salt
6 oz Semisweet chocolate, chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
3/4 cup Granulated sugar
3/4 cup Tightly packed light brown sugar
1/4 lb Room temperature unsalted butter
2 lrg Eggs
2 tsp Pure vanilla extract
3 cup M&M's

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a sifter combine the flour, baking soda and salt. Sift onto a large piece of wax paper and set aside until needed. Heat 1 inch of water in the bottom half of a double boiler over medium heat. With the heat on, place the semisweet chocolate in the top half of the double boiler. Use a rubber spatula to stir the chocolate until completely melted and smooth, about 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a 1-quart bowl and set aside.

Place the granulated sugar, light brown sugar and butter in a 7-quart bowl. Use a stiff rubber spatula (or a wooden spoon) to cream the ingredients together until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix to incorporate. Add the melted chocolate and mix until combined. Add the sifted dry ingredients and thoroughly combine.

Add the M&M's, mixing to incorporate. Using 3 heaping tablespoons of dough for each cookie (approximately 3 ounces), portion 6 cookies, evenly spaced, onto each of 3 nonstick baking sheets (this is a hefty cookie, so don't crowd). Place the baking sheets on the top and center racks of the preheated oven and bake for 14 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and cool to room temperature on the baking sheets, about 30 minutes. Store the cooled cookies in a tightly sealed plastic container until ready to serve.

pendragon1980

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 09:51:22 AM »
Cappuccino Crinkles

1/3  cup butter (no substitutes), softened
1  cup packed brown sugar
2/3  cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1  tablespoon instant coffee granules
1  teaspoon baking soda
1  teaspoon ground cinnamon
2   egg whites
1/3  cup vanilla yogurt
1-1/2  cups all-purpose flour
1/4  cup granulated sugar

Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Beat butter in a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add the brown sugar, cocoa powder, coffee granules, baking soda, and cinnamon. Beat until combined, scraping sides of the bowl occasionally. Beat in egg whites and yogurt until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Stir in remaining flour with a wooden spoon.  Place granulated sugar in a small bowl. Drop dough by heaping teaspoons into sugar and roll into balls. Roll again in sugar. Place balls 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edges are firm. Transfer cookies to wire racks and cool. Makes about 32.

MelJill

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 10:08:07 AM »
Cookie Dough Truffles

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 c. butter, softened
  • 3/4 c. packed brown sugar
  • 2 c. all purpose flour
  • 14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 t. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 c. miniature semisweet chocolate chips
  • (Optional) 1/2 c. chopped walnuts
  • 1-1/2 lbs candy coating (see notes)
In mixing bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.  Add the flour, milk, and vanilla; mix well.  Stir in the chocolate chips, and if desired, walnuts.  Shape into 1-inch balls; place on waxed paper lined cookie sheets.  Loosely cover and refrigerate for 1-2 hrs or until firm.

In microwave safe bowl, melt candy coating, stirring often until smooth.  Dip balls in coating; place on waxed paper-lined cookie sheets.  Refrigerate until firm (about 15 minutes).

*Note:  Candy coating may be divided as 1-1/4 lb of main coating, which should be a chocolate; 1/4 lb of a colored candy-coating which is then drizzled over the finished 'truffles' for a more artistic presentation.

Store in refrigerator.  Should make between 5 and 5-1/2 dozen.

Tastes just like cookie dough, but no raw eggs.

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 10:22:25 AM »
Mix up some sugar cookie mix. Cut out Christmas trees, then cut little holes in each tree. The holes need to go all the way through to the bottom. Then fill the holes with crushed Life Savers in all different colors. Bake the cookies and the Life Savers melt to make a stained glass effect. The decorate with green frosting and little silver candies.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 02:57:04 PM »
Note: I don't even like coconut, but I made these for DH and ate well over half the cookies!  They're great!

REALLY EASY macaroons

14-oz bag of coconut
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
2 tsp almond extract
1.5 tsp vanilla extract
hersheys kisses or chocolate stars (you can buy some in the baking section that are unwrapped)

Mix all the ingredients and drop by spoonfuls onto a well-greased cookie sheet.  Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 8-10 minutes or until browned; remove from the cookie sheet quickly.  Press hersheys kisses on top and let cool slightly before devouring them all before you even get to your party :-)  Makes 60 cookies if you're conservative, or 30ish if you make 'em big like I do.

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 12:12:04 PM »
Ok, ladies, now you need to copy and paste these lovely recipes into the Cookbook Project thread for cookies.

Cookie Dough Truffles sounds particularly evil and therefore Cookbook Project worthy to me.

mama1980

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2006, 12:15:41 PM »
I made cookies the other day from a recipe that I have had for over 30 years. It is the simplest recipe and it makes about 5 dozen cookies. I have tried experimenting with it and the cookies still turn out great.
I told my friends that I was "speed baking" as I made 5 dozen cookies from start to finish in less than ONE hour!

Start with one box of cake mix, chocolate or devils food
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup chocolate or semi-sweet chips(use white chocolate chips for better visual effect)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Stir together the cake mix, eggs and oil. The batter will be thick. Add the chips and stir.
Use a teaspoon to place batter on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 11-12 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet and let cool.
The smaller amount of batter you drop on the sheet, the more cookies you have and will have less spreading.
Options...Use yellow cake mix and chocolate chips for a more traditional chocolate chip cookie
White cake mix and candied cherry bits
German chocolate cake mix and coconut, pecans and chocolate chips, just remember only add one cup total not one cup of each.
I'm sure that everyone out there can think of a different combination, just use your imagination!
Live to Ride, Ride to Live

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2006, 12:16:18 AM »
Simple, rich and delicious

Shortbread

Thoroughly cream 1 cup of butter
Add 1 cup of icing sugar and cream thoroughly
Add 1 t vanilla and cream
Mix 3 cups flour and 1/2 c cornstarch
Add the flour mixture about 1/2 a cup a time, thoroughly
  creaming it into the butter mixture - a hand blender is a
  good idea at this point
You want to beat the mixture until it's nice and fluffy, for a more
 delicate cookie

Form into flattened balls about 1 inch in diameter and top with a
piece of marashino cherry or candied peel

Bake for 12-14 minutes at 350 F - remove from oven when the bottoms
are light brown, but before the tops brown.

Let cool for about 2 minutes and carefully remove to a wire rack.

I made about 60 small cookies with this, baking them in a toaster oven!

This recipe is for Canadian all purpose flour, so I'd use a medium hard flour (use US bread flour rather than all purpose)