Hostesses With The Mostest > Entertaining and Hospitality

Party Menu

(1/5) > >>

Visiting Crazy Town:
HI everyone,

you all have such great ideas and i need some right now.  I am going to have a party in may and i need some ideas for some heavy Hors d'oeuvres ( recipes would also be appriciated). I could serve during the party.  I expect the party to last a fairly long time 4 pm until ?  but i will know it will go on thru dinner, since several things will be going on at my house that day. we will also be grilling later that night.  I would also love the ideas and recipes for achohol drinks that could be served  in pitchers other that sangria and margaritas.

It's good to be Queen:
If you can get watermelon, there is nothing like watermelon martinis.  Here is the recipe -

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
5 cups watermelon, seeds removed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/4 cups vodka
2 ounces melon liqueur, optional
8 lemon twists, for garnish

Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan and cook until the sugar has completely dissolved. Let cool.
In a food processor, puree the watermelon flesh. Add a little of the sugar syrup to sweeten, to taste. Pour the pureed watermelon into 2 empty ice cube trays and freeze for at least 4 hours.

In a blender combine the frozen watermelon cubes, more simple syrup, to taste, lemon juice and vodka, melon liqueur and blend until smooth. Pour into 8 frozen martini glasses and garnish with a lemon twist.

I double the recipe and make a large pitcher full, they are always a big hit.

sparksals:
This is a fantastic recipe for a summer BBQ.  Freeze it and scoop the slush into glasses, top with ginger ale or sprite, garnish with lemon/lime/oranges.  I posted it at Recipezaar:

Midsummer Madness Slush/Punch

jais:

--- Quote from: shay on April 23, 2007, 04:45:47 PM ---HI everyone,

you all have such great ideas and i need some right now.  I am going to have a party in may and i need some ideas for some heavy Hors d'oeuvres ( recipes would also be appriciated). I could serve during the party.  I expect the party to last a fairly long time 4 pm until ?  but i will know it will go on thru dinner, since several things will be going on at my house that day. we will also be grilling later that night.  I would also love the ideas and recipes for achohol drinks that could be served  in pitchers other that sangria and margaritas.

--- End quote ---

Excuse my ignorance, but qualifies as heavy Hors d'oeuvres?

Sophia:

--- Quote from: jais on April 23, 2007, 10:22:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: shay on April 23, 2007, 04:45:47 PM ---HI everyone,

--- End quote ---

Excuse my ignorance, but qualifies as heavy Hors d'oeuvres?

--- End quote ---

Appetizers you could make into a satisfing meal using enough of them. 

Applie Pie Rollups.  Lay out a few sheets of Filo Dough.  Take Comstock brand pie filling.  (I have tried them all, and the rest are not worth eating).  Put the pie filling in a line the longest way possible.  Roll up.  Cook at 350 for 40-ish minutes.  But into servings. 

Deviled Eggs.  Every party likes deviled eggs.  (ok, maybe not a vegan party)  I think it was in a Martha Stewart book said that they always disappear no matter how formal or 'classy' the party.  The trick to making them easily is to put the yolks in a sturdy ziplock.  Mush them with your hands really well.  No lumps.  Then put the rest of the filling ingredients in the bag and do more mushing.  Store bag and whites in the 'fridge.  Cut a smallish hole in the corner of the bag and squirt filling like with a pastry bag.  Use the Betty Crocker recipe. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version