Author Topic: Party Menu  (Read 3143 times)

Visiting Crazy Town

Party Menu
« on: April 23, 2007, 04:45:47 PM »
HI everyone,

you all have such great ideas and i need some right now.  I am going to have a party in may and i need some ideas for some heavy Hors d'oeuvres ( recipes would also be appriciated). I could serve during the party.  I expect the party to last a fairly long time 4 pm until ?  but i will know it will go on thru dinner, since several things will be going on at my house that day. we will also be grilling later that night.  I would also love the ideas and recipes for achohol drinks that could be served  in pitchers other that sangria and margaritas.

It's good to be Queen

Re: Party Menu
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 05:53:38 PM »
If you can get watermelon, there is nothing like watermelon martinis.  Here is the recipe -

1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup water
5 cups watermelon, seeds removed
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 1/4 cups vodka
2 ounces melon liqueur, optional
8 lemon twists, for garnish

Bring the sugar and water to a boil in a small saucepan and cook until the sugar has completely dissolved. Let cool.
In a food processor, puree the watermelon flesh. Add a little of the sugar syrup to sweeten, to taste. Pour the pureed watermelon into 2 empty ice cube trays and freeze for at least 4 hours.

In a blender combine the frozen watermelon cubes, more simple syrup, to taste, lemon juice and vodka, melon liqueur and blend until smooth. Pour into 8 frozen martini glasses and garnish with a lemon twist.

I double the recipe and make a large pitcher full, they are always a big hit.

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 09:47:21 PM »
This is a fantastic recipe for a summer BBQ.  Freeze it and scoop the slush into glasses, top with ginger ale or sprite, garnish with lemon/lime/oranges.  I posted it at Recipezaar:

Midsummer Madness Slush/Punch

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2007, 10:22:59 PM »
HI everyone,

you all have such great ideas and i need some right now.  I am going to have a party in may and i need some ideas for some heavy Hors d'oeuvres ( recipes would also be appriciated). I could serve during the party.  I expect the party to last a fairly long time 4 pm until ?  but i will know it will go on thru dinner, since several things will be going on at my house that day. we will also be grilling later that night.  I would also love the ideas and recipes for achohol drinks that could be served  in pitchers other that sangria and margaritas.

Excuse my ignorance, but qualifies as heavy Hors d'oeuvres?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2007, 10:25:45 PM by jais »

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2007, 10:45:58 PM »
HI everyone,

Appetizers you could make into a satisfing meal using enough of them. 

Applie Pie Rollups.  Lay out a few sheets of Filo Dough.  Take Comstock brand pie filling.  (I have tried them all, and the rest are not worth eating).  Put the pie filling in a line the longest way possible.  Roll up.  Cook at 350 for 40-ish minutes.  But into servings. 

Deviled Eggs.  Every party likes deviled eggs.  (ok, maybe not a vegan party)  I think it was in a Martha Stewart book said that they always disappear no matter how formal or 'classy' the party.  The trick to making them easily is to put the yolks in a sturdy ziplock.  Mush them with your hands really well.  No lumps.  Then put the rest of the filling ingredients in the bag and do more mushing.  Store bag and whites in the 'fridge.  Cut a smallish hole in the corner of the bag and squirt filling like with a pastry bag.  Use the Betty Crocker recipe. 

sparksals

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2007, 10:48:37 PM »
I love deviled eggs!  You can never go wrong with those.  I like the tip for squirting the filling out of the corner of a ziploc bag.

jais

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2007, 10:51:49 PM »
HI everyone,

Applie Pie Rollups.  Lay out a few sheets of Filo Dough.  Take Comstock brand pie filling.  (I have tried them all, and the rest are not worth eating).  Put the pie filling in a line the longest way possible.  Roll up.  Cook at 350 for 40-ish minutes.  But into servings. 

Deviled Eggs.  Every party likes deviled eggs.  (ok, maybe not a vegan party)  I think it was in a Martha Stewart book said that they always disappear no matter how formal or 'classy' the party.  The trick to making them easily is to put the yolks in a sturdy ziplock.  Mush them with your hands really well.  No lumps.  Then put the rest of the filling ingredients in the bag and do more mushing.  Store bag and whites in the 'fridge.  Cut a smallish hole in the corner of the bag and squirt filling like with a pastry bag.  Use the Betty Crocker recipe. 

Deviled eggs are great with 'real' bacon bits sprinkled on top.  I think Hormel makes the real kind.  Maybe it's a "northern' thing, but we love them 'round here  ;D.  Ham and pickle roll-ups go fast and so do taco pinwheels.  If you want recipes, I'd have to dig them out, but I'd be happy to if you're interested.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2007, 11:08:42 PM »
Yeah, pinwheels are great too.  The great thing is they are pretty idiot-proof.  You can make pinwheels with one set of ingredients until that is finished, then make something completely different.  Rollups made with good flour tortillas, cream cheese, whatever meat is available and diced extremely mild peppers.  Then chill.  Also good because making it the day before is actually better. 

jais

• Super Hero!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2007, 11:20:59 PM »
Yeah, pinwheels are great too.  The great thing is they are pretty idiot-proof.  You can make pinwheels with one set of ingredients until that is finished, then make something completely different.  Rollups made with good flour tortillas, cream cheese, whatever meat is available and diced extremely mild peppers.  Then chill.  Also good because making it the day before is actually better. 
Hmm, we always add black olives and jalapenos depending on the group.  They are quite tasty and always a favorite.

Lunadiana75

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 04:14:22 AM »
I have a great punch recipe, it can be non alcoholic or served with vodka and it's so yummy in the summer.

1 bottle pomegrant juice
2 two liter bottles of citrus soda (sprite, 7up, etc)
1 bag frozen berries
Ice

Mix in a punch bowl. 

Pita chips and hummus, also a good munchie snack.  Just cut the pita bread into triangles and nake them until their crispy.  Always a hit.

blarg314

• Super Hero!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 04:30:22 AM »

Soda water, white wine and passionfruit juice make an absolutely lovely drink.

Strawberry lemonade is good as well, for a non alcoholic option.

Mini pitas - get the little mini pitas that are about 2 inches across. Make a salad from chopped cooked chicken, chopped cucumber and onion dressed with yoghurt, a bit of lemon juice, crushed garlic garlic, ground cumin, ground coriander and black pepper. Stuff the pitas with the salad.

Home-made fresh salsa for tortilla chips. It's best made ahead and let sit for a few hours.  Mix the following ingredients together

Peel, seed and chop 10 medium tomatoes
  Dice 1 1/2 red onions
  Dice one (or more) serrano or jalapeno chilis
  Juice of 3 or 4 limes
  1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
  a handful of chopped cilantro

Baked Mushroom caps

Get large white mushrooms, cut off the stems and very carefully hollow out the inside with a small spoon.  Fill with a bit of grated parmesan or other cheese and salt and pepper, and bake until the mushooms are cooked - the insides will fill up with mushroom juice, which mixes with the cheese

Alternately blanch small white mushrooms and marinate overnight in a dressing of balsamic vinegar, a bit of lemon juice, extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, a bit of garlic, and italian herbs. Serve with toothpicks.

A vegetable tray with dip is cheap and popular, and a cheese tray goes a long way too.

Visiting Crazy Town

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 07:48:38 AM »
HI everyone,

Deviled eggs are great with 'real' bacon bits sprinkled on top.  I think Hormel makes the real kind.  Maybe it's a "northern' thing, but we love them 'round here  ;D.  Ham and pickle roll-ups go fast and so do taco pinwheels.  If you want recipes, I'd have to dig them out, but I'd be happy to if you're interested.

yes please

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 08:31:02 AM »
For heavy hors d'oeuvres that need to stand as a meal replacement, I like to think in terms of food groups or a balanced "regular" meal, so starches, veggies, protein, fruit and sweets.  Easy, filling and nutrious food: Cheese tray with crackers, fruit & veggie trays, big ole bowl of bread with something like spinach dip, and candies or chocolates.  Then add in some fancier stuff: asparagus & ham rolls, fruit tarts, mini quiches, maybe some Italian-style antipasti, and/or some hot hors d'oeuvres.

If you're not a cook or won't have time, you can pick up pre-made tart shells at many bakeries.  Fill these with a variety of sweet and savory fillings: tinned pie filling, fruit topped with whipping cream, custard, quiche or egg filling, whatever.

Sounds like fun!

Summrs

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 08:56:24 AM »
A few suggestions for you... recipes are easy, even if they look complicated.

Sausage Stuffed Mushrooms
Makes 32

32 large mushrooms                       
  2 cloves garlic, minced
  8 ounces bulk pork sausage   
  1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  1 tb butter                                         
  1/2 cup seasoned dry breadcrumbs
  1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
  Salt and pepper, to taste

Remove stems from mushrooms. Finely chop stems and sauté in butter in large heavy skillet with garlic until mushrooms are wilted, about 3 minutes. Add sausage and cook, stirring, until brown. Add remaining ingredients, stir to mix well; taste to adjust seasoning. Stuff each mushroom cap with about 1 heaping tb sausage mixture.  Place mushrooms in shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes.

------------------------------

Crispy Won Tons
Makes 36

Note:  Won Ton wrappers are available in nearly any supermarket, so I didn't include the recipe here.  If you'd rather have it, too, let me know.

1/2 lb lean pork, chicken or shrimp
  3 slices fresh gingerroot
  8 water chestnuts
  1 ts salt
  2 green onions                                                         
  2 ts soy sauce                                                 
  Dash of pepper
  1/2 ts MSG (optional; I never use this)

Put meat, water chestnuts and green onions in food processor and finely chop.  Mix with rest of ingredients.  Place a Won Ton noodle in front of you with one point facing you.  Put 1 ts filling on lower half and fold top half over, making a triangle.  Moisten edges and press together, being sure you do not leave a pocket of air inside.  Cross the right and left points by bringing them together on the fold opposite the point toward you.  Moisten and press together.  Fry in deep, hot oil (375°) until brown. Serve with Soy Sesame dipping sauce:  Combine 3/4 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup rice vinegar, 4 ts toasted sesame oil, and 4 ts sugar.  Stir to mix well.
------------------------------

Spanakopita
Makes 16, but you can double or triple the recipe and freeze.

5 tb olive oil, plus 1/4 cup                       
  1 1/2 lbs spinach, washed and dried           
  1 1/2 cups onion, finely diced                     
  Kosher salt                                                 
  1 1/2 cups leek whites, finely chopped       
  1 ts garlic, minced                                     
  1 tb mint, chopped
  1 tb dill, chopped
  1 ts parsley, chopped
  4 tb feta cheese, crumbled
  2 tb Kefalotyri cheese, grated
  1 egg, beaten
  1 package phyllo dough

Preheat oven to 350°. Wash and dry the leeks before chopping. Heat 2 tb of olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the spinach and sauté for 3 minutes, or until wilted. Transfer the spinach to a cookie sheet and let cool. Place the cooled spinach in a colander to drain any excess liquid. Once drained, coarsely chop the spinach and set aside.

Heat 3 tb of oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the onions with a pinch of salt and cook until soft and translucent, about 10-12 minutes. Add the leeks with a pinch of salt and cook until the leeks become soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the spinach, mix well and cook for an additional 2 minutes.

Transfer spinach mixture to a cookie sheet and set aside to cool. Once cooled, transfer the spinach to a mixing bowl. Gently fold in the herbs, cheeses, egg, and set aside.

Lay one sheet of phyllo out on a clean surface. Using a pastry brush, lightly brush the phyllo with oil.  Lay a second sheet directly on top of the first and lightly brush with oil.

Using a sharp paring knife cut the phyllo lengthwise into seven 2 inch wide strips. Working with one strip of phyllo at a time, place 1 tb of the spinach mixture in one corner of the dough. Fold the phyllo over the mixture to form a triangle. Continue to fold over in a triangle shape until the whole strip of phyllo is folded into a neat triangle package. (This is like folding a flag, or folding one of those paper footballs.) Place on a baking sheet.

Repeat until all of the spinach mixture is used. Bake on the center rack of the oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. Serve immediately.  After cooking, these can be frozen for up to 3 weeks.

Note:  if you can't find the Kefalotyri cheese, you can use any hard goat's or sheep's milk cheese.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 08:58:35 AM by Summrs »

Sibby

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 11:16:04 AM »
Crudite (veggie sticks) with humus is a party must for various reasons: it's affordable & easy, can be made in advance, leftovers can used in salads or soups, it's lactose free, vegan, low salt, and low sugar.  And it can be left out for hours, even in heat, and be fine.  Plus it's a 'guilt free' munchie.  Include olives scattered on the tray if you want a "wow" factor.

Bowls of mixed nuts are also good for these reasons, altho a bit high in fat.

Fun & easy & always a crowd pleaser: buy 'string cheese' (mozzerella cheese in stick shape) and wrap in proccetta (sp) which is an Itailan meat generally sliced thin.  Cut into thirds, stick a toothpick in each piece.

Pigs in a blanket are always well received, whether home made or bought assembled.  To make your self buy puff pastry dough or pizza dough and hot dogs or a nice sauagage (like keilbasa).  Wrap, bake, slice, serve with mustard & toothpicks.