Author Topic: Murder most foul  (Read 3823 times)

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
Murder most foul
« on: April 24, 2007, 08:17:22 AM »
So, I have one of those murder mystery dinner party thingies.   Seven people and I will gather to dine and pretend to have offed our hostess.

The game has a suggested menu, which includes stew.  Stew, for a dinner party.  They call it Yorkshire hotpot, but still.  I'd like something a little more festive that's appropriate for the setting (date = 1848).  Any ideas? Three courses, soup, main, and dessert, but not too elaborate, since I may be dealing with a guilty conscience.   ;)

Summrs

Re: Murder most foul
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 09:05:01 AM »
What's the location in 1848?  I'm guessing England, since you mentioned Yorkshire?  Shepherd's pie might work.  Fruit tartlets maybe for dessert... or scones with clotted cream and jam.  Couldn't even hazard a guess on soups.  Maybe a potato and leek, or garlic soup?

ClaireC79

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 09:23:57 AM »
Either Brown soup or oxtail for that era.

Roast dinner for the main course

Icecream done in a shaped form (or jelly in an upright mould) would hve been considered extremely posh (purely because most people didn't have the facilities.

An Eton mess would be really easy to do (and tastes fab) but I'm not sure if it's quite that old - it is a traditional summery desert though http://www.homesandgardens.com/cookery/seasonal/easter/Eton_mess_article_72360.html

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 12:37:04 PM »
Yorkshire? How about roast beef and Yorkshire pudding?

Of course, it depends on the social status of the pretend participants. What a Duke would eat at his country house would be different from a group of Yorkshire coal-miners.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 03:22:45 PM »
Back in the 80s and early 90s a friend and I organized a series of mysteries for a club.  Our evenings also included a Dinner and, while the meals were basic, we had fun with the menu.  Some of the dishes available were:

Thicken Plot pie (chicken pie)
Hot tips.  (beef kebobs) for this one, the guests were investigative reporters.
Red Herring (This was a nice broiled fish with a little paprika)

Ohjustlovely

• Myspace
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 06:39:32 PM »
Back in the 80s and early 90s a friend and I organized a series of mysteries for a club.  Our evenings also included a Dinner and, while the meals were basic, we had fun with the menu.  Some of the dishes available were:

Thicken Plot pie (chicken pie)
Hot tips.  (beef kebobs) for this one, the guests were investigative reporters.
Red Herring (This was a nice broiled fish with a little paprika)

Oh, I love your menu!  How about fowl, as in "Murder Most Fowl"?  And pea soup, as in London fog being ...

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 07:56:58 PM »
OK - what's the name of the game (I used to do a bunch of these with my friends)

It would help.

I like the Thicken Plot Pie thing though
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 09:52:47 PM »
It's called Murder by Candlelight, and it takes place in 1848, in a dark, gloomy house in the wilds of Yorkshire.  Surrounded by moors - so I guess I'd better close the blinds.  ;D

I like the funky name idea.  Thicken Plot pie!  That's great. 

Sefie

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 02:30:27 AM »
I'm still giggling at the Red Herrings!

We did one set in a girl's school in the middle of London, so I had finger sandwiches and cupcakes for dessert.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 12:19:30 PM »
I'm thinking roast beef, traditional Yorkshire pudding, a Victorian vegetable dish of some sort (asparagus would be good this time of year), and maybe Gooseberry Fool or Summer Pudding for dessert? Or Rhubarb Pie, if you can get the rhubarb?
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 08:57:32 PM »
I love rhubarb but have never seen it here, alas.

Pudding would be a good finish, or tarts.

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2007, 03:29:24 AM »
So far I have Thicken Plot pie with E.A. Potatoes for the main course and Death by Chocolate (in disguise) for dessert.  The desset may also be known as chocolate pudding with shipped cream on top.  Still need a first course and veggie side for the main, but I'm working on it.

In other news, I've had my first RSVP flakeout.  One of the invitees doesn't know if he can make it, since he "might be busy".  ::) I'll have to bounce hm if he can't commit because the game won't work unless everyone's there.

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2007, 05:15:59 AM »
We have had this problem a couple of times and we left the "I might be busy" on the guest list just made sure that he didn't have a "part"

If He showed up - He was one of the "Detectives" and got to try to help solve the case.

usually we have trouble finding the 4 women and 4 men for the game (usually it's 5 women and 3 men sort of thing)
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2007, 07:20:00 AM »
There are two optional characters, so I could swap him to one of those.  Or tell him sorry-maybe-another-time just cuz I'm annoyed.  I'm not asking him to marry me or sire my children, it's just dinner.  Is he *that* afraid of commitment? Cripes.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2007, 07:55:27 PM »
"I don't know, I might be busy", is about as rude as it can get, unless it means "You've caught me without my schedule on hand; I'll have to go and check, because I can't remember if I have a previous commitment".

If it means "I suppose I might come, unless something better comes along", I would bounce him. From this and any subsequent invitation.