Author Topic: I kept my chair, thank you eHellions  (Read 3888 times)

LAT

I kept my chair, thank you eHellions
« on: May 04, 2009, 11:19:52 AM »
I was involved in a huge charity garage sale on the weekend.  I'm a longtime volunteer for the charity, one of the main core of people they can always count on. 

Because I'm trustworthy and because my body is happier sitting than standing and/or bending, I'm usually the one who runs the cash box at the garage sale.  Not only that, but in this case I brought the table and the chair to sit at.  (Previous years we could sometimes find a donated table and/or chair but this year I wanted to be comfy so I brought my own chair and table.)

Before the sale started on Saturday (too early!), I hadn't sat down yet because there were no customers.  We were frantically unpacking boxes of donations and arranging them.  As customers started trickling in, I decided it was time to get the cash box and set up as "cashier".

Another volunteer (who I hadn't seen before) was sitting at the table in my chair.  At one point in my life I might have been too shy to say anything, but after years of reading eHell I'm much more assertive. :)

I said "Excuse me, I need to sit there and run the cash box now."

Volunteer: "Oh.  Well, the volunteer coordinator said that she'd have a chair available for me to sit in because of my back."

I said "Maybe she did, she should be arriving later and you can discuss that with her. I brought that chair and I'm doing cash now." 

She moved.

Thank you all for showing me how to be more assertive! :)

KitFox

Re: I kept my chair, thank you eHellions
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 11:33:44 AM »
*applause* Good for you!

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 11:34:17 AM »
I think that was a perfect example of polite, but firm. Great job!
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Shortcake

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 11:38:16 AM »
Good Job! Polite and firm!
"Carry out a random act of kindness, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you."  Princess Diana

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 10:54:48 PM »
I think that we need a new category:  Polite but Firm.

Excellent example.