News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 25, 2016, 08:34:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My Cat Is Meowing/Shouting At Me Because...  (Read 60371 times)

JoW

Re: My Cat Is Meowing/Shouting At Me Because...
« Reply #615 on: April 15, 2016, 12:30:35 PM »
I slept a little late this morning.  After about 15 minutes of the normal "breakfast is late" fussing and pawing Dax went into the echo chamber (shower) and screamed so loud the neighbors would have heard if that window had been open. 

GreenHall

« Reply #616 on: April 16, 2016, 11:14:28 PM »
I thought the song of her people was because the dishwasher was going beside her food dish. 
Nope!  Today's toy/gift apparently had some life in it and escaped. 

I realized this was the problem when the bat started swooping around the stairwell.

Luckily, while I was strategizing (calling my mom, whatever), the bat decided the dark living room was comfy.  The living room has an outside door!  Between the door and the sheet I had picked up to try to 'net' the critter - I am almost 90% sure the bat is no longer in my house...

Cat may be locked out for the night too, if she wants playmates.

Chipmunky

« Reply #617 on: April 19, 2016, 09:46:10 AM »
We set up the auto feeder again last week, getting the kitties used to it for when the hoomin kitten arrives and gets fed on demand, so I won't have 3 babies whining at me.

The feeder releases food every 8 hours, beginning at 6:30 am. During the week days, this isn't an issue at all- I get up at 6 anyways, kitties follow me downstairs, and patiently wait for their food to drop, plus nibble on any dry food that they didn't consume during the night drop.

Weekends, however, are apparently a different matter.

Her Highness, Mopsy, started pestering both DH and I at 7 am last Saturday. Howling at us, pawing at us, even licking DH's face, to get one of us up. I finally got up at 730, thinking something was wrong, feeder broke, etc.  Get downstairs - nope, feeder is just fine.  Her Highness commences eating, pukes a bit due to eating too much too fast, and then goes and eats some more.

We figured it out when she did it again the next day....

Her Highness MUST have an audience while eating in the morning. Otherwise, the food is not real!  Such a travesty cannot be allowed!!

If she doesn't stop this, she may find herself completely booted from our room during weekend whine sessions...

GreenHall

« Reply #618 on: April 19, 2016, 12:01:36 PM »
Chipmunky,
I can only speak for my one cat really, but they can be taught new 'tricks'.  Mine learned she would get kicked out of my bedroom if she was too whiny on a sleep in day.  She will now either go downstairs and eat by herself, go outside if the kitty door is open, or come back up and snuggle down for a sleep-in. 

(I also accidently taught the family cat that I would let her out in the middle of the night, because I was the only one who could not sleep through her yowls.  Since she never bothered anyone else, if I could have just outlasted her, I bet that would not have been learned...)

Chipmunky

« Reply #619 on: April 19, 2016, 01:44:54 PM »
Thanks Greenhall. Your story about the bat reminded me of heresluck's blog and "translations from the felines" with the Flying Mouse Affair. ;D ;D

For me, sleeping in on weekends tends to only be till about 730 anyways (unless I was up SUPER late the night before, then maybe 830).

She did learn something- after I wouldn't respond to her/gently swatted her away on Saturday, she figured out how to wriggle up by DH and actually WAKE HIM UP early on a weekend (not easy for anyone to do), until he started responding by pushing her off the bed (she landed fine every time, not a high bed at all), at which point she went back to bothering me by climbing up in between us.

I'm going to take the tactic now on weekends (and on weekdays) of utterly ignoring her, getting up at the time of my choosing, and going downstairs at my leisure. She can eat or not, it's up to her to realize she doesn't need me there to eat.

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #620 on: April 19, 2016, 03:59:24 PM »
Thanks Greenhall. Your story about the bat reminded me of heresluck's blog and "translations from the felines" with the Flying Mouse Affair. ;D ;D

For me, sleeping in on weekends tends to only be till about 730 anyways (unless I was up SUPER late the night before, then maybe 830).

She did learn something- after I wouldn't respond to her/gently swatted her away on Saturday, she figured out how to wriggle up by DH and actually WAKE HIM UP early on a weekend (not easy for anyone to do), until he started responding by pushing her off the bed (she landed fine every time, not a high bed at all), at which point she went back to bothering me by climbing up in between us.

I'm going to take the tactic now on weekends (and on weekdays) of utterly ignoring her, getting up at the time of my choosing, and going downstairs at my leisure. She can eat or not, it's up to her to realize she doesn't need me there to eat.

When I worked a more regular schedule, one of my cats became my alarm clock - failure to get out of bed in response to the mechanical clock resulted in a most excellent imitation of a fire alarm going off in my face.  It wasn't even like she was hungry - she just wanted me up to provide pettings. 

Gwywnnydd

« Reply #621 on: April 19, 2016, 05:32:02 PM »

When I worked a more regular schedule, one of my cats became my alarm clock - failure to get out of bed in response to the mechanical clock resulted in a most excellent imitation of a fire alarm going off in my face.  It wasn't even like she was hungry - she just wanted me up to provide pettings.

I had a cat who did this.

He would hear the alarm go off in the bedroom. If he didn't hear sounds of us getting up after a minute or two, he would start calling for us.
First, from the living room. Then from the hallway. Then, from the doorway of the bedroom. One time, I decided to see how far he would take it. Turns out, he would continue calling for us to get up and pet him, until he was standing on my chest, touching his nose to mine, yowling at the top of his little leather lungs.

Giraffe, Esq

« Reply #622 on: April 19, 2016, 06:42:26 PM »

I had a cat who did this.

He would hear the alarm go off in the bedroom. If he didn't hear sounds of us getting up after a minute or two, he would start calling for us.
First, from the living room. Then from the hallway. Then, from the doorway of the bedroom. One time, I decided to see how far he would take it. Turns out, he would continue calling for us to get up and pet him, until he was standing on my chest, touching his nose to mine, yowling at the top of his little leather lungs.

Man, I'm amazing at sleeping through alarms . . . and so I managed to get the one cuddly kitty who looks at me like I'm insane when I get out of the comfy bed and then promptly curls up in the warm space left behind.

JennJenn68

« Reply #623 on: May 12, 2016, 07:39:59 PM »
Buzz is yelling at me because... I didn't feed him precisely at 3 p.m..

Except that I did.  I placed the food in both bowls.  Deke promptly began to snarfle it up.  Buzz looked at me vacantly and wandered away, to use the litter box, I presume, judging from the truly horrendous stench that ended up emitting from the laundry room.  Then he ambled back upstairs, crouched beside his (full) food bowl, and yelled at me to fill it.  Without noticing that it was already full up.

Why do I have to always parent the most mentally bereft felines on the planet?  Was it something that I did in a past life?  ::)

Chipmunky

« Reply #624 on: May 13, 2016, 08:46:57 AM »
Mopsy was complaining at me last night......I didn't share my ice cream when she wanted it.

Both kitties know what ice cream is, and that if it's plain vanilla or similar, I'll let them have the drippy melts in the bottom of the bowl.

Last night was strawberry, which I won't let them have, despite the wide eyed looks of desperation I received the whole time.  I'm 38 weeks along with the hoomin kitten- I am NOT sharing right now.

Mopsy also complained because I wouldn't let her hop up in one of the dining chairs to try and paw at DH's plate of chicken when we were waiting for him to get home from work. She loooves her some fresh baked chicken, but this had spicy sauce on it that would make her sick. Excuse me, Princess, for ensuring your well being... ::)

JoW

« Reply #625 on: Yesterday at 08:02:00 PM »
Not screaming, but all 3 cats had to have cuddles when the thunderstorm rolled in at about 11PM last night.  I didn't notice it until they joined me in bed.  I think they expect me to protect them from the noise. 

I have another storm in the forecast for tonight. 

Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My tumblr
« Reply #626 on: Yesterday at 08:21:48 PM »
Freya's been shouting at me quite imperiously all day for no other reason than to hear her own voice. Or so I would assume, as there's no other reason for her to be shouting.

I do have to stifle a laugh when I tell her to hush and she starts talking back, though.
"The wild roses have died, Father, and I know not what to do."

#borecore

• Formerly marvellous, now a bore
« Reply #627 on: Yesterday at 08:30:52 PM »
My girl has been super needy since I got home last night. I'm loving it -- I was gone for a week, and it's almost like she missed me!

As soon as I walked in at 1 a.m. from a long flight, she rolled onto her back and demanded that we catch up on her daily "Borecore's home!" belly rub time (during which I repeat "belly rub time" a lot, like a big dork). It was extra long to make up for missed rubs.

(She's not the brightest cat, so I don't like to attribute too much human-type emotion or thought to her, but this stuff seems pretty clear.)

greencat

• Trap...Neuter...What was that third thing again?
« Reply #628 on: Yesterday at 08:40:01 PM »
They need to be rescued from angry mockingbirds.