News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• July 23, 2016, 04:34:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.  (Read 522262 times)

Giraffe, Esq

Re: Things that you just should NOT laugh at.
« Reply #2385 on: July 06, 2016, 11:21:48 AM »
I was sitting at a car show with some friends, watching some beautiful classics drive by. One friend was born without a right arm, and can be a bit self-conscious about his prosthetic.

As we watch a '59 Cadillac go by, he says "oh man, I'd give my right arm for that car!"

So we all tried to take it in stride, as he sat there with a devilish grin on his face, watching to see how we all react.  :P

I was at a party with a group of friends and did not have my wheelchair in the house (it's usually more trouble than it's worth at homes).  We were discussing concerts and someone made a comment about concerts with no seating -- you just stand to watch the show -- and he's like, "I'm too old for concerts with no chairs."  I shrugged and said, "I just bring my own."

There was a distinct pause while they I'm pretty sure they were mentally debating whether they could laugh.  Which cracked me up as much as my own joke did.   >:D   (They did laugh, it was fine.)

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #2386 on: July 06, 2016, 06:18:49 PM »
Giraffe, Esq, your story reminded me of a something I said long ago that was actually appreciated. A coworkers husband was in a motorcycle accident, and lost his leg because of it. When friends DH was able to make an outing, she had taken him into Walmart. I was working that night, she was pushing him in a wheel chair, I asked him how he was doing, made some small talk. I then told him he needed to take her to an adults only store and get her a naughty nurse outfit.  Coworker turned a shade of red I didn't think a person could turn. He later told her that he appreciated that I talked to him like I would every day. Most people weren't doing that, or just avoided him.

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #2387 on: July 06, 2016, 07:57:34 PM »
Giraffe, Esq, your story reminded me of a something I said long ago that was actually appreciated. A coworkers husband was in a motorcycle accident, and lost his leg because of it. When friends DH was able to make an outing, she had taken him into Walmart. I was working that night, she was pushing him in a wheel chair, I asked him how he was doing, made some small talk. I then told him he needed to take her to an adults only store and get her a naughty nurse outfit.  Coworker turned a shade of red I didn't think a person could turn. He later told her that he appreciated that I talked to him like I would every day. Most people weren't doing that, or just avoided him.

Oh, that was priceless! I hope she took the ribbing in good grace once she recovered  :)

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #2388 on: July 09, 2016, 01:16:19 PM »
When he got he got his prosthetic I told him he  wouldn't have to chase her to kick her butt any more, he could just through it at her.  She told me to quit giving him ideas.

Copper Horsewoman

« Reply #2389 on: July 09, 2016, 05:49:54 PM »
When he got he got his prosthetic I told him he  wouldn't have to chase her to kick her butt any more, he could just through it at her.  She told me to quit giving him ideas.

You could always give him grief about being as overconfident as a one-legged man at a butt kicking contest.....

diesel_darlin

« Reply #2390 on: July 09, 2016, 10:50:55 PM »

Sounds like you would have been a welcome addition to my mamas's surgeries while she had cancer. She and I made the most awful jokes during that time. My grandma was not pleased one bit.

Mom got a portacath put in her neck for her chemo treatments. We both crack our necks (bad I know). When I got her home and in the bed, I walked past her, cracked my neck, looked

at her and said "jealous"?  ;D

Mustard

« Reply #2391 on: July 10, 2016, 03:33:28 AM »
I had a friend at school who had her leg amputated at the age of 11 due to bone cancer.  A few years later we were discussing the price of something (I forget what) and someone said 'it cost me an arm and a leg' to which my friend remarked 'Really?  It only cost me a leg....'

Writer of Wrongs

« Reply #2392 on: July 12, 2016, 09:35:35 AM »
A young woman I know was born with only half of her right arm. She was fitted for a prosthesis as a child but functioned better with just her "stub," so she never wore it. When she was in her early 20s, I was chatting with some friends at a festival, and we saw her down the street. One of my friends (who knew her) deadpanned, "I bet she's left-handed." We all gasped and cracked up.

My late MIL had to have one lower leg amputated. MIL had a great sense of humor, and as soon as we went into her room after the surgery, she was making jokes about getting a job as a waitress at (US pancake restaurant) IHOP, and talking about how much money she should save by only needing one shoe/sock.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #2393 on: July 12, 2016, 09:45:03 AM »
One spring, my mother made the decision to have all her top teeth pulled and get fitted for a top denture.

Her birthday is in June.  I found this card:  on the front, 'Hey, it's your birthday!  Show off them pearly whites.'  On the inside, 'Heck, take 'em out, pass 'em around!'

I must have agonized in the store for several minutes - should I?  Shouldn't I?  I finally bought the card.  I figured either she'd laugh or write my eulogy; there wasn't much ground in between.

Fortunately for me, she laughed.  She did not, however, 'take 'em out and pass 'em around.'
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

wonderfullyanonymous

« Reply #2394 on: July 12, 2016, 06:17:30 PM »
My BFF had breast cancer, and lost a breast. Instead of having an implant, she opted for a prosthetic to put in her bra. On day, she tossed it onto her dresser and it fell behind. She says, this is something not everyone can ask their DH. "Honey can you get my boob from behind the dresser, please."

She also at one time called up the septic company to come pump them out by saying, "Hi the is the  *Smiths, we're full of s***." She said the receptionist laughed for 5 minutes.

Liliane

• Blossoming Pearl Chevalier
    • My tumblr
« Reply #2395 on: July 12, 2016, 06:48:42 PM »
My BFF had breast cancer, and lost a breast. Instead of having an implant, she opted for a prosthetic to put in her bra. On day, she tossed it onto her dresser and it fell behind. She says, this is something not everyone can ask their DH. "Honey can you get my boob from behind the dresser, please."

She also at one time called up the septic company to come pump them out by saying, "Hi the is the  *Smiths, we're full of s***." She said the receptionist laughed for 5 minutes.

An old friend of my mum's went the prosthetic route too. She named it Ophelia and would make it "talk" in a high squeaky voice. ;D
"The wild roses have died, Father, and I know not what to do."

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #2396 on: July 13, 2016, 02:57:05 PM »
Maybe it's just me but when I see Theresa May (new acting PM in the UK) on the news, I can't help but think of the character on Dr. Who, whose name I cannot remember, who was a low level staffer who got elevated to PM because she was the only one left.  Cracks me up every time I see Ms. May on the news.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #2397 on: July 13, 2016, 03:09:11 PM »
Harriet Jones
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

White Dragon

• Formerly St Monica
« Reply #2398 on: July 13, 2016, 03:23:00 PM »
So my husband got a strange piece of mail today.

We didn't recognize the sender, but it was addressed to him by name.

It was a birthday card.

This was very strange because his birthday is in October.

Opened it up and it was a personalized ad for...life insurance.

So basically it was a card that said "Hey! You're getting old! Buy life insurance because you could die soon!"

We decided that they really hadn't thought this through all that well... ;D ;D
"I think her scattergun was only loaded with commas and full-stops, although some of them cuddled together for warmth and produced little baby colons and semi-colons." ~ Margo

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #2399 on: July 13, 2016, 06:03:00 PM »
Ontario