News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 24, 2018, 01:45:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Silliest argument you've ever had?  (Read 8158 times)

Sirius

Re: Silliest argument you've ever had?
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2018, 10:02:42 PM »
Mr. Sirius and I are not arguers in the sense that we don't stand around and scream at each other.  But sometimes...

I was trying to do something on my computer but the computer wasn't cooperating, and I muttered, "Now I know why it's called a cursor."  Mr. Sirius said, "They're called 'cursors' because-" and launches into the real explanation as to where the name for that particular item.  I just said, "Stop.  Please.  It was supposed to be a joke."  His reaction was, "That was a strange thing to say." 

He's usually not this dense nor this pedantic.  I guess I just caught him on a bad day.

Allyson

« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2018, 10:43:53 PM »
My father and his whole side of the family are really really good at being able to argue with you even if you have done nothing but agree with them, which leads to amazingly frustrating and ridiculous interactions. The one I remember with my father involved picking a place to go for lunch.
He suggested Mexican, I said sure! He then said "Oh, wait, didn't you want to go to that Chinese place that just opened?" "That sounds good too, let's go there!." "But you just said you wanted Mexican!" is the very short version of what happened.

Also I notice that in 99% percent of these stories, including mine, the person posting is right about the argument :) I wonder in how many cases the person we argued with would agree they were wrong...

siamesecat2965

« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2018, 02:06:56 PM »
I wouldn't call it an argument per say but more my inability, even at a young age, to admit I was wrong. I had a friend in oh about 2nd or 3rd grade. Who was Jewish. I'm not really sure how it got started but one day, during lunch, a bunch of us were discussing nationality, and what everyone was. My friend said whatever she was, and I kept saying "no, you're Jewish" and she kept telling me no i was wrong. I was so sure I was right, and I don't konw why since I knew the difference between religion and nationality. I look back and think ,wow, you were dumb.

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2018, 01:07:35 PM »
The capital of Turkey.

We were in geography class and about to start studying a case study on Turkish tourism and one of my classmates was holding forth. She'd BEEN to Turkey, you see, and was therefore an expert on all things Turkish  ::) especially the Turkish capital, Istanbul.

:o

I pointed out that the capital of Turkey was not, in fact, Istanbul (fair dos, easy mistake to make, but a silly one if you're going to pontificate as the font of all knowledge). She refused to believe me. I got the atlas out and pointed out that Ankara was indicated as the capital of Turkey (which it is!). She insisted the atlas was wrong. Two other people got their atlases out (between us we had three slightly different editions, all printed between about 1989 and 1992) and showed that their atlases ALSO showed Ankara as the capital. No. They were all wrong. Because She. Knew. It. Was. Istanbul.

Thankfully, the teacher arrived at that moment and lead off with "The capital of Turkey is Ankara, not Istanbul."

Classmate would argue with me and three editions of Collins' School Atlas but not (thank heaven) the teacher.

LondonAngel

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2018, 10:20:59 PM »
The capital of Turkey.

We were in geography class and about to start studying a case study on Turkish tourism and one of my classmates was holding forth. She'd BEEN to Turkey, you see, and was therefore an expert on all things Turkish  ::) especially the Turkish capital, Istanbul.

:o

I pointed out that the capital of Turkey was not, in fact, Istanbul (fair dos, easy mistake to make, but a silly one if you're going to pontificate as the font of all knowledge). She refused to believe me. I got the atlas out and pointed out that Ankara was indicated as the capital of Turkey (which it is!). She insisted the atlas was wrong. Two other people got their atlases out (between us we had three slightly different editions, all printed between about 1989 and 1992) and showed that their atlases ALSO showed Ankara as the capital. No. They were all wrong. Because She. Knew. It. Was. Istanbul.

Thankfully, the teacher arrived at that moment and lead off with "The capital of Turkey is Ankara, not Istanbul."

Classmate would argue with me and three editions of Collins' School Atlas but not (thank heaven) the teacher.

Oh my this happened to me too. was in geography class and we were told that the capital of Brazil was Sau Paulo, i pointed out that it was Brasília and it sparked a bit of back and forth. thankfully she was an assistant, and our actual tutor set her right later in the day. teacher never apoligised, but we let it go