News: All new forum theme!  See Forum Announcements for more information. 

• February 27, 2015, 05:48:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Kids say the funniest things  (Read 231232 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: Kids say the funniest things
« Reply #1425 on: January 16, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »
If you can work breakfast in whenever (on the weekends or holiday for us), it is a different scenario. During the week, we have to eat something before school or work and have no opportunity for a food break until lunch, 4 or so hours later. I'm not a big fan of sweet breakfasts, prefer savory far more, but it can be difficult to please everyone.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1426 on: January 17, 2015, 08:24:55 PM »
My youngest saw a carousel today when we were at the zoo and insisted we take a ride on "Wild Irish Rose!"  Now, he's 3, he's never really been on a full carousel before and so never one that played "Wild Irish Rose."  I have an mp3 of the song being played on a Wurlitzer like the sort you'd hear from a carousel but again, he's not familiar with those sorts of carousels or the music they tend to play if they're the older sort.

And being 3, he can't read but even if he could there was nothing about Wild Irish Rose written anywhere near it.  So I was tickled that he called the carousel that.

And then we got on and he sat on a gazelle with me standing next to him as he's got one hand on the pole and the other arm wrapped around my neck as he's saying "It's okay, Mommy, I got you! You okay? Don't worry, I got you."
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #1427 on: January 17, 2015, 11:19:15 PM »
I was at the movies a few weeks ago and overheard this exchange between a father and his young daughter  (I'm guessing she was 4 or 5).

Frozen was the topic.  The little girl was rattling off different things she wanted and the dad told her she had enough Frozen stuff.  She stopped, hands on hips, and told him in the most matter of fact voice, "Daddy, you just don't understand. I'm a girl and I need accessories ".

He tried really hard to hold it together,  but he started laughing, belly laughing, tears rolling down his face laughing. She just stood there for a couple of seconds,  shook her head, muttered ,"Parents are so weird".  When the dad pulled it together,  the little girl looked at him and said, "Daddy, I bet sister would love a Frozen bed set for her birthday".
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #1428 on: January 17, 2015, 11:21:37 PM »
I was at the movies a few weeks ago and overheard this exchange between a father and his young daughter  (I'm guessing she was 4 or 5).

Frozen was the topic.  The little girl was rattling off different things she wanted and the dad told her she had enough Frozen stuff.  She stopped, hands on hips, and told him in the most matter of fact voice, "Daddy, you just don't understand. I'm a girl and I need accessories ".

He tried really hard to hold it together,  but he started laughing, belly laughing, tears rolling down his face laughing. She just stood there for a couple of seconds,  shook her head, muttered ,"Parents are so weird".  When the dad pulled it together,  the little girl looked at him and said, "Daddy, I bet sister would love a Frozen bed set for her birthday".

Tonight at work (I work at a movie theater), a little girl was being really loud and bouncy (in a happy, non - annoying way), and her dad asked her, "Why are you always like this?"

Her big brother piped up, "Because she has a boo - boo!" I laughed til I nearly cried.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1429 on: January 29, 2015, 10:46:12 PM »
Not my kids, just some other kids on a field trip, but funny.

Tour guide at the Decatur House today, talking about how Stephen Decatur died in a duel: "This was a terrible way that they used to resolve conflict. It didn't actually resolve anything, just got a lot of people killed. Can any of you suggest any other ways that they could have tried to resolve their differences?"

Kid #1: "Rock, paper, scissors!"

Kid #2: "Eeny, Meeny, Miney, Moe!"

lol

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1430 on: January 30, 2015, 09:13:16 AM »
Last night, Dh and I are watching tv when our eldest came into the living room and being a bit of a clumsy teen, bumped the youngest out of his way by accident.  Little guy wasn't hurt but looked up and indignantly demanded of his brother "HEY! What was that for?" Oldest apologized and asked him if he was okay.  So  oldest goes back into the kitchen and we hear "What are you DOING in there?"  We couldn't hear what oldest replied but we did hear the youngest go "Ugh!" in an exasperated way.

I think the funniest part of it was that his tone just sounded so much like me.

The other morning when I was under the weather he came downstairs first thing and announced "MOMMY! I AM HEEEERE!!"  in a "to save the day" sort of way.  Despite feeling less than stellar, I couldn't help but laugh.

It's been so  long since I've had a 3 year old (and my older two weren't quite as verbal at his age) that I forget sometimes how funny they can be.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Chipmunky

« Reply #1431 on: February 13, 2015, 09:55:27 AM »
Ones where I was the culprit....

1) First word was "dada." Could not say "mama" for the life of me for ages. Dad thought it was funny to point at Mom, ask who that was, and watch me hold up my hands and shrug my shoulders. I knew exactly who she was, I just couldn't say it. I totally have Dad's sense of humor.

2) Mom thought I was finally calling her "ma" one day. Nope, I was trying to say "more." They figured it out watching video footage of Dad and I playing in the pool. Every time he stopped doing something funny, I said "Ma! MA!"

3) I'm 7. Teachers have a planning day. Mom's working. Dad's at home, studying to retake his medical boards (pathologist, didn't need the credentialing, but wanted it; brief background, Dad is also a fully disabled Marine Corps combat vet, does not like pain pills, but cannot sit through the exams without great pain -this is before the Americans with Disabilities Act-but wants to do it to prove he can). Dad's hurting from sitting at a desk studying all day. So he takes a break, pours himself a small measure of bourbon, and sits on the couch to relax. (2nd drink for the whole year). Grandma calls, I pick up, talk a moment. She asks "is your mommy there?" Me: "nope, mommy's working" Grandma: "well, is your father home?" Me: "oh yeah, Dad's on the couch. Drinking again" (In full deep sighing disappointed voice). Dad sprinted for the phone. My adorable, Godfearing, angel of a Grandma is laughing so hard on the phone, it's amazing she could still breathe.  ;D

Older Niece's first word was "No." Younger Niece's was "Mine."

Older Niece got her first skirt that went from waist to ankles. Proceeds to ask her mother if that skirt makes her "look like a woman."

Dad's playing with younger niece, a tickle game called "make the pizza" where he sings that phrase while tummy gets tickled. Younger Niece is about 3 at the time. When he stops, she looks at me, sticks out the lower lip, and wails "I don't WANT to be a PIZZA!! I DON'T WANT TO BE EATEN!!!"

I've a bunch of these gems written down somewhere...now where did that list go...

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1432 on: February 13, 2015, 10:28:17 AM »
When DD was about 3 we were watching Tinkerbell when she turned to me and said: "Mama, you are just like Tinkerbell!  Except you need to be wearing a skirt and it needs to be short and it needs to be green.  And you need to fly."

turtleIScream

« Reply #1433 on: February 13, 2015, 03:30:58 PM »
Conversation with my 5 y/o a few nights ago.

Me: You need to go get pajamas on, then grab a few books to read.
C (sounding confused): Do I know how to do that?
M: um, yeah, I think you know how to put on pajamas.
C: Ohhhh, I thought you said to log on to Amazon and get a few books!
Life happens wherever you are, whether you make it or not. - Uncle Iroh

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #1434 on: February 14, 2015, 11:19:13 PM »
My 4-year-old came into the kitchen the other day, plopped down onto the kitchen bench, and asked me, "What's for lunch?"  So, teasing her, I said, "Elephant poop!"  Her eyes got wide.  "Really, Mommy?"  Me: "Oh, you don't want to share the elephant poop?  Well, then, your sisters can have pbjs and you can have elephant poop!" By now she got it and was laughing.  We didn't realize the 2-year-old understood exactly what we were saying, but apparently she did, because suddenly she handed a Duplo elephant to her sister and said, "Lunch, <Sister>!"

This one is from my friend, who has a... shall we say, very interesting and strong-willed 4-year-old.  :)

The other night, C and I were chatting about a game that DH and I used to play with the big kids when they were little.
C: Oh! That sounds like fun!
Me: It was!
C: Ha ha! ...Wait! You did this before I was born?
Me: Yeah.
C: You had fun without ME??
Me: Well, yes.
C (angry): You should have waited!
Me: But we didn't know you'd be coming!
C (storming off): I can't believe you had fun without me. Before I was born! That's so RUDE!!!

norrina

« Reply #1435 on: February 21, 2015, 02:47:39 AM »
I have a feeling this is one of those you-had-to-be-there moments, but I'll share anyhow. A few days ago, mom and I were playing an educational game with my 6 y.o. niece. The question was "if you have 2 hundreds, 3 tens, and 9 ones how many do you have." Niece said 201 so I was trying to get her to include the tens, and then I was going to work on the ones. I asked her how many 3 tens is, and she proceeded to start ticking off on her fingers, "1..2..3.." After 10 she folded her fingers down and started over with "11..12..13.." All the way up to 30 and then triumphantly announced "30!!!"

I guess they haven't taught her class how to count by 10s yet (she just turned 6, still in kindergarten), but her method worked! I was laughing too hard to explain the ones after that though.

Frog24

« Reply #1436 on: February 23, 2015, 04:53:41 PM »
My parents just moved here from out of province, and are staying with us while they look for a house.  My 4 year old likes saying "Let's talk about our day!" at the dinner table.

L: Let's talk about our days.  Gramma, how was your day?
G: It was fine.  We went out for a walk.
L: You went out looking at houses today?
me: No, sweetie, they went out for a walk with some friends.
L: But Gramma, you don't have any friends?!!

Mustard

« Reply #1437 on: Today at 04:31:52 PM »
My husband's colleague said she was sad that her daughter, a U.S. citizen but born in the U.K., wouldn't be eligible to run for the Presidency.  'But mummy!' protested her three-year old ' I don't want to be a president.  I'm going to be a fairy when I grow up'