News: There is a new Ehell Kindness Project!  Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• May 06, 2016, 12:18:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Uh.. ya, don't do that....  (Read 664006 times)

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
Re: Uh.. ya, don't do that....
« Reply #3465 on: March 17, 2016, 06:57:11 PM »
If you're starting a crochet project that calls for multiple same bits (like two legs, two arms..), even if you're going freehand, do keep note of how many rows you're doing so that the limbs will be the same size...
I'm making a doll like animal (haven't decided between a rabbit and a bear, the only difference will be the ears) without a reciepient in mind and I'm sure a little kid won't mind much but I'm finding myself a bit daft having to compare the ones I already made to determine if I'm finished yet or not.
I keep starting a slipper project, but I lose track of how many rows and increases/decreases I already did.  I go back and try to count, but always resort to starting a new one, which I stop when I don't have time, then pick up and start with the counting again.

D'oh!
Maybe keep a slip of paper and a pencil with the project, and before you step away, write down the number for reference?
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #3466 on: March 18, 2016, 07:12:22 AM »
I roasted our corned beef and vegetables in separate pans. I needed to move the cast iron pan with the corned beef out so I could open the foil, then up, to get more heat to brown the glaze.

I pulled the rack out, reached under it, and touched the rack with my forearm, above the oven mitt. I have a raw area the size of a nickel, and today it is swollen and puffy.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #3467 on: March 18, 2016, 09:29:54 AM »
I roasted our corned beef and vegetables in separate pans. I needed to move the cast iron pan with the corned beef out so I could open the foil, then up, to get more heat to brown the glaze.

I pulled the rack out, reached under it, and touched the rack with my forearm, above the oven mitt. I have a raw area the size of a nickel, and today it is swollen and puffy.

Ow! I used to do that regularly until I found silicone oven rack guards. They're slit tubes that attach over the edge of the rack. Mine came from a discount shop, very cheap! Can you get those? Well worth the expenditure.

Sophia

• xi
« Reply #3468 on: March 18, 2016, 11:44:08 AM »
I have elbow-length Silicon oven mitts for that reason.   Left AND right hand. 

hermanne

• Visualize whorled peas...
« Reply #3469 on: March 18, 2016, 12:27:39 PM »
We have a wood stove, so one year I gifted DH with a pair of stove gloves that go up to the elbow. Of course he kept wearing the old ones which only cover just past the wrist, until he burned himself on the hot door frame, just where the old gloves ended. It wasn't the first time, but that time was bad! It took a good while to heal.

He got the hint, and started wearing the new gloves.
Bad spellers of the world, UNTIE!

lilfox

« Reply #3470 on: April 04, 2016, 03:33:03 PM »
Apparently, the universe was trying to tell me not to go into the office today.

- The car in front of me in the parking lot got the very last spot. Because I had to go to a further lot, I missed the shuttle bus.
- 20 minutes later, I'm walking to work when my path is blocked by a goose. The goose doesn't bother me, but it does poop right in front of me.  The whole sidewalk is a biohazard from this flock.
- My desk had a dead giant fly on it.  We have a current infestation of these things, it's gross.
- Only after I sat down at my desk did I figure out that my base layer t-shirt is on backwards.

ETA: can't believe I forgot to add, my phone died a couple hours after I arrived and of course no one (including me!) had a charge cable.  Because Monday.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 11:56:44 PM by lilfox »

mmswm

« Reply #3471 on: April 05, 2016, 03:30:11 AM »
If you have a top load washer and the agitator has little plastic bits pointing downwards, don't fail to pay attention when reaching in to pull clothes out.  If you aren't paying attention, you might hook your ring onto the little plastic bits contorting your finger into an unrecognizable shape.  It will hurt.  A lot. Thankfully nothing appears broken and the joint popped back into its proper place without much effort, but with a lot of pain.

Between that and the lice I posted about on the small hugs thread, I think I'm going to give up for the night. 
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

weaselfrance

« Reply #3472 on: April 05, 2016, 04:06:11 AM »
Leave the house wearing odd boots.

One brown flat and one black high heeled.

And not realise what you've done until you get to the supermarket.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #3473 on: April 05, 2016, 05:14:02 AM »
If you have a top load washer and the agitator has little plastic bits pointing downwards, don't fail to pay attention when reaching in to pull clothes out.  If you aren't paying attention, you might hook your ring onto the little plastic bits contorting your finger into an unrecognizable shape.  It will hurt.  A lot. Thankfully nothing appears broken and the joint popped back into its proper place without much effort, but with a lot of pain.

Between that and the lice I posted about on the small hugs thread, I think I'm going to give up for the night.

I mean this in the nicest possible way but you?  You are jinxed!  You end up with the weirdest and the wackiest injuries.   ;D

Your finger, your knee from skating, I also seem to remember a weird shower injury...

Sending you some copious quantities of bubble wrap.

And a box of wine.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Ereine

« Reply #3474 on: April 05, 2016, 10:30:14 AM »
If you call your boyfriend using Facetime and he has loaned his old iPad to his brother and there's a chance that the brother will answer the call, it's probably best to make sure you're decently dressed. I try to pretend that I put the phone away so fast that he didn't see anything.

Dawse

« Reply #3475 on: April 05, 2016, 01:49:25 PM »

I've put on two shoes that were different colours before, but how on earth do you manage it with two that are different heights?

I'm impressed.
'A troth, by the way, is a small furry creature with fins, the offspring of a trout and a sloth. I often wonder what they saw in each other, but then I suppose the sloth, being upside down, would tend to have a different slant on things.'

mmswm

« Reply #3476 on: April 05, 2016, 01:55:33 PM »

I mean this in the nicest possible way but you?  You are jinxed!  You end up with the weirdest and the wackiest injuries.   ;D

Your finger, your knee from skating, I also seem to remember a weird shower injury...

Sending you some copious quantities of bubble wrap.

And a box of wine.

lol.  Thanks.  But I don't think jinxed is a strong enough word.  I'm beginning to think I'm cursed.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

weaselfrance

« Reply #3477 on: April 06, 2016, 01:03:19 AM »

I've put on two shoes that were different colours before, but how on earth do you manage it with two that are different heights?

I'm impressed.

Thanks, it was a proud day for me  ;D. In the back of my mind, I knew there was something 'off' but for the life of me, I couldn't work out what it was. Driving felt a bit odd too. I noticed what I'd done when I got out of the car. I went home to change shoes before doing my shopping. DH was gobsmacked when I told him what I'd done!

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #3478 on: April 06, 2016, 08:14:43 AM »
I pulled my Achilles tendon on my right heel. Oh, it hurts. It reminds me with every step.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

VorFemme

• I am not sweating, I'm glowing!
« Reply #3479 on: April 10, 2016, 03:57:45 PM »
I did it - both were black leather, I got dressed more or less in the dark, and the difference in heel heights for me was about 1/8th or so of an inch.  I did noticed that one foot got tired slightly sooner than the other that day at Disney World (whichever park we were in) but I managed...

I just made sure to lay things out the night before - with the lights on - before our next all day trip to the Disney parks...
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?