Hostesses With The Mostest > Recipe Requests

For Venus: Brussels Sprouts

(1/1)

artk2002:
Venus... you had asked for this recipe on one of the earlier incarnations of the forum.  I'm sorry it took so long to get it to you.

Brussels Sprouts Chataigne

Makes 4-6 servings

Ingredients
1/2 pound chestnuts (raw)
1/2 cup milk
4 cups small, tender Brussels sprouts
2 tbsp butter
1 shallot, finely chopped
2-3 tbsp dry white wine or water

* Score a cross on the base of each chestnut.  Bring a saucepan of water to a boil, add the chestnuts and boil for 6 minutes.  Remove a few chestnuts at a time.
* While still hot (use a paper towel to hold), use a knife to remove the outer shell and then peel off the inner skin of the chestnuts.
* When all are peeled, rinse the pan.  Return the peeled chestnuts to the pan and add the milk
* Add enough water to completely cover the chestnuts.  Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 12-15 minutes, until just tender.  Drain and set aside.
* Remove any wilted or yellow leaves from the sprouts.  Trim the root ends, but leave them intact (or the leaves will separate.)  Score a cross on the base of each sprout.
* In a large, heavy frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat.  Stir in the shallot and cook for 1-2 minutes, until just softened.
* Add the sprouts and the wine.  Cook, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
* Add the chestnuts.  Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes, until the chestnuts and the sprouts are tender.
My SO tells me that she's done this with canned chestnuts and it's worked just fine.

Enjoy!

veryfluffy:
Or an alternative, especially for those who don't like sprouts!

http://www.eyegas.com/xmas05/

NotCinderell:
YUM!  I love brussels sprouts, and all I ever do is steam them.  I'm definitely trying this recipe.

Venus193:
Thanks.  I have never understood many people's aversion to brussels sprouts when recipes like this exist.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version