Author Topic: For Venus: Brussels Sprouts  (Read 1818 times)

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
For Venus: Brussels Sprouts
« on: December 17, 2006, 01:37:10 PM »
Venus... you had asked for this recipe on one of the earlier incarnations of the forum.  I'm sorry it took so long to get it to you.

Brussels Sprouts Chataigne

Makes 4-6 servings

Ingredients
1/2 pound chestnuts (raw)
1/2 cup milk
4 cups small, tender Brussels sprouts
2 tbsp butter
1 shallot, finely chopped
2-3 tbsp dry white wine or water

• Score a cross on the base of each chestnut.  Bring a saucepan of water to a boil, add the chestnuts and boil for 6 minutes.  Remove a few chestnuts at a time.
  • While still hot (use a paper towel to hold), use a knife to remove the outer shell and then peel off the inner skin of the chestnuts.
  • When all are peeled, rinse the pan.  Return the peeled chestnuts to the pan and add the milk
  • Add enough water to completely cover the chestnuts.  Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook for 12-15 minutes, until just tender.  Drain and set aside.
  • Remove any wilted or yellow leaves from the sprouts.  Trim the root ends, but leave them intact (or the leaves will separate.)  Score a cross on the base of each sprout.
  • In a large, heavy frying pan, melt the butter over medium heat.  Stir in the shallot and cook for 1-2 minutes, until just softened.
  • Add the sprouts and the wine.  Cook, covered, over medium heat for 6-8 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally and adding a little water if necessary.
  • Add the chestnuts.  Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes, until the chestnuts and the sprouts are tender.

My SO tells me that she's done this with canned chestnuts and it's worked just fine.

Enjoy!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

veryfluffy

Re: For Venus: Brussels Sprouts
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 09:07:21 AM »
Or an alternative, especially for those who don't like sprouts!

http://www.eyegas.com/xmas05/

NotCinderell

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 09:20:56 PM »
YUM!  I love brussels sprouts, and all I ever do is steam them.  I'm definitely trying this recipe.

Venus193

• Super Hero!
  • Backstage passes are wonderful things!
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 09:37:57 PM »
Thanks.  I have never understood many people's aversion to brussels sprouts when recipes like this exist.