Author Topic: Don't forget the pizza box in the oven  (Read 10821 times)

ncognito

Don't forget the pizza box in the oven
« on: April 25, 2007, 02:53:39 PM »
How many times can you (okay by "you" I mean me) forget that there is a pizza box in the oven before you turn it on to pre-heat? This is the 2nd time in 5 days that I have filled the whole back of the house with smoke before remembering/realizing that I put the left over pizza in the oven the evening before.
Now all the walls need to be washed down and dinner is going to be late because I have to let the smoke clear before I go back and make the meatloaf  >:( .
I'd blame it on the meds they gave me to counteract an allergic reaction to a spider bite but I wasn't on them the last time....so where is my sign?

Edited: I put this in entertaining because sadly DH is bringing co-workers home to eat and watch something (sports I am sure) on tv 2nite. Maybe I should have cancelled after the spider bite and meds but since I only have to cook and don't have to "entertain" I thought it would be fine (ok I thought that having people over would keep DH entertained while I sleep off the meds). Perhaps I should have just changed the menu and ordered some pizza/pasta/hot wings but then I would prob be posting tomorrow about pre-heating the oven with the box in it AGAIN.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 03:14:54 PM by MomOf2Boys »

Veronica

• Super Hero!
  • the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
Re: Don't forget the pizza box in the oven
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 03:00:19 PM »
I'm so sorry.  If it makes you feel any better a few months ago I put a meatloaf in a plastic container and then put it in my oven.  It, of course, melted and smelled horrible.  I have no idea what I was thinking when I did it.  I call it a brain fart.  DF laughed for ten minutes. 
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 03:05:30 PM by JessD »

Florida

AdakAK

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 03:04:31 PM »
As many times as you turn the oven on while the box is still in it.  I did that with a cake once.  The first time I realized it before it was ruined, but the second time it wasn't until the house smelled so good I realized the cake was still there. 

Susan

dings

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 03:14:56 PM »
I have ruined so many tupperware containers, cookie sheets, pans, etc by either leaving them too near the stove or turning on the wrong burner.  My BF thinks I am a fire hazard.  But I haven't started any fires yet, at least (knocking on wood).

Sterling

• Oh Stupid Me- Blogs about Things That Drive Me Crazy
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 03:28:31 PM »
I got up at 5 am one morning to make all my co-workers fresh muffins from scratch.  I was so sleepy that I placed a plastic bowl in the oven and then turned it on and went to the bathroom to wash my face.

results were not good.  I have also done the pizza box thing.
93 93/93

Sibby

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2007, 04:11:14 PM »
I'm confused as to why a pizza box would ever go into the oven in the first place?  Being sleepy or doped up and using the wrong dish (plastic versus metal) I can maybe understand, but non-oven proof things NEVER, EVER, EVER go into my oven even for a moment.  For that matter nothing EVER gets stored in the oven - that's what cabinets are for - the oven is not storage it's a tool that has the primary purpose of getting very very hot.

I'm not trying to be rude but it just seems so irresponsible to ever put anything in the oven that isn't being baked at the time; people die in house fires and the majority of home fires originate in the kitchen - why up the chances of endangering yourself, your family & your home?

I've never known anyone to do this or even seen it on Tv or in movies...

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 04:33:07 PM »
While I wouldn't store left-over pizza in the oven overnight I know the feeling.  When it's his turn to do the dishes, Mr. Thipu has a habit of putting them to dry in the oven that's cooling down.  I don't know how often I've found them when I go to preheat the next day.

It might be a good idea to put a refrigerator magnet on the oven door to remind you that something's inside.

kathrynne

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 04:34:43 PM »
As many times as I can throw out a pizza box while it still contains one of my good knives?  ;)

Hope you're feeling much better!

Jaywalker

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 04:37:49 PM »
as a person who has twice ruined the downstairs ceiling by forgetting the bath was running and getting caught up on-line I realize that one has to put structural plans in place or this won't be the last time

so our house rule is -- bathrub running?  you don't leave the room. (our overflow mechanism doesn't work right)  I get most of my bathroom cleaning done while the bath is filling.

so your house rule needs to be:  pizza always goes in the refrigerator (safer anyway) and NEVER store it in the oven again -- or you will burn another box

I also have one place I put my ring -- so it is never misplaced like my diamond stud ear rings or most of my credit cards --

and the passport always goes in the same place --

twinkletoes

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 06:32:09 PM »
I'm confused as to why a pizza box would ever go into the oven in the first place?  Being sleepy or doped up and using the wrong dish (plastic versus metal) I can maybe understand, but non-oven proof things NEVER, EVER, EVER go into my oven even for a moment.  For that matter nothing EVER gets stored in the oven - that's what cabinets are for - the oven is not storage it's a tool that has the primary purpose of getting very very hot.

I'm not trying to be rude but it just seems so irresponsible to ever put anything in the oven that isn't being baked at the time; people die in house fires and the majority of home fires originate in the kitchen - why up the chances of endangering yourself, your family & your home?

I've never known anyone to do this or even seen it on Tv or in movies...

I agree.  I can see accidentally forgetting to take the pizza off the cardboard if it's a frozen pizza, but beyond that?  No way. 

And this is coming from someone whose grandmother routinely used her oven as an extra storage shelf...

AdakAK

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 06:37:41 PM »

I can't speak for the pizza box, but I had no other place to store my cake.  It was chocolate and I did not want to risk the dogs or cats eating it and making themselves sick.  I do watch them, but it seemed better to have it out of sight/out of mind.  It was too large to easily fit in a cabinet or fridge but covered in the oven, it was out of reach and safe. 

After that I only made cakes that would fit in the microwave, you have to open that before you turn it on.

Susan

GinaH

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 07:14:14 PM »
CRUD MONKEYS!! I'm so glad this was brought up! My grandma is living with us now, as she has Alzheimers and can't live alone anymore. She INSISTS on using my oven as 'storage'! I CANNOT break her of this! I have to check it and unload it EVERY TIME I need to use it! I don't even bother preheating anymore, without unloading the pots and pans she insists on storing in there!
 Jeez...
 :-\

kathrynne

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 07:33:39 PM »
as a person who has twice ruined the downstairs ceiling by forgetting the bath was running and getting caught up on-line I realize that one has to put structural plans in place or this won't be the last time

so our house rule is -- bathrub running?  you don't leave the room. (our overflow mechanism doesn't work right)  I get most of my bathroom cleaning done while the bath is filling.
Oh, thank you! I've alluded to an attempt this month to inadvertently install an indoor pool. I had hooked up the reverse osmosis filter to the kitchen faucet and was filling a 15-20 gallon bucket for backup aquarium water, come downstairs and started the dryer, and then caught up online (and watching "Charmed"). Completely forgot (damnitto EHell!).

Did you know that water dripping at the rate of four cups per minute from my kitchen to the basement sounds almost exactly like the dryer running? I have no real idea how long things leaked, but I made one melluvahess. Felt pretty darned stupid.

We're going to rig an overflow sensor on the buckets that will sound some sort of alarm when the water has reached the desired level. I'm apparently too easily distracted.

At least we'll be getting the hardwood floors refinished! Ka-ching!

Jaywalker

« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 09:23:45 PM »
although we don't store stuff in the oven usually --  I ALWAYS open and look before turning it on -- easy to get in the habit just like always cleaning the dryer lint trap before doing a load

habit is our friend -- and the older you get, the more important it is as memory just isn't what it is when you are 25

StuckInCube

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 09:34:43 PM »
A friend was visiting me and we got pizza. I was in the other room, so I completely missed what she did next. She put the pizza box in the oven, turned the oven on, and walked out. I guess she was trying to keep it warm? Next thing I know I smell something burning. I run to the oven and the pizza box was on fire!!

I grabbed it, threw it on the balcony and doused it with a glass of water I had sitting there. She said her mom always stored pizza in the oven so she just did that. I was brought up you never leave anything in the oven, and to always check before turning it on. Plus, I don't quite get not refrigerating it!

Of course, my friend did call me once to ask me how to brown the hamburger she was making for Hamburger Helper, so perhaps she might fall under the culinarily challened anyway. ;)