Author Topic: Don't forget the pizza box in the oven  (Read 11675 times)

lovinAZ

Re: Don't forget the pizza box in the oven
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 09:41:35 PM »
public service announcement

If you do not already have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, go buy one.  Little ones cost only about $15.  There are ones that are good for the kitchen specifically -- just read the box.

We had an oven fire and the extinguisher (that we received as a wedding gift -- if anyone is looking for a useful creative gift idea) is what let it be an oven fire and not the kitchen burning down.  We went out and promptly replaced it...

Jaywalker

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 09:43:38 PM »
Of course, my friend did call me once to ask me how to brown the hamburger she was making for Hamburger Helper, so perhaps she might fall under the culinarily challened anyway

-------

what kind of parents turn adult children loose on the world unable to do basic life skill tasks -- like laundry, like basic car care (oil checking etc), basic cooking?  seems like an utter failure of minimal parental responsibility

Veronica

• Super Hero!
  • the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 09:53:33 PM »
what kind of parents turn adult children loose on the world unable to do basic life skill tasks -- like laundry, like basic car care (oil checking etc), basic cooking?  seems like an utter failure of minimal parental responsibility

I can somewhat do laundry, but if I can help it- I don't.  I am 30 and just this year learned how to check my oil.  DF  can barely boil pasta.  Apparently our parents did a horrible job with us. 

Florida

StuckInCube

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 10:00:00 PM »
Of course, my friend did call me once to ask me how to brown the hamburger she was making for Hamburger Helper, so perhaps she might fall under the culinarily challened anyway

-------

I have to admit I was often floored about some of the things she didn't know how to do. Yet, she is one of the smartest people I know. She grew up somewhat spoiled, so I made it my mission to at least get her making some basic food besides microwaving perogies.

Her sister, now a vet so not a stupid girl either, drove her car with the oil light on for god knows how long. Of course, the engine blew up eventually.

This is what can happen when parents do everything for you. What's interesting is for the most part they were some of the nicest people you'd ever meet for being so utterly spoiled.

It is weird to me for someone to not know how to cook, but that's cause I had an Italian mama who would be horrified at having children who don't know how to make lasagna for 20.

Bharris

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 10:29:52 PM »
About the worst I've ever done in the kitchen was set dishtowels on fire with the gas stove and freeze cola cans-frozen Coke is really hard to get out of the freezer.  However, I can't tell you the number of laundry loads I've ruined from leaving lip gloss in my pants pockets and having them melt all over my good shirts.  And then there was the time I spilled bleach all over my black karate gi.  I had to wear a polka-dot gi for two quarters after that until I could afford a new one.

And, yep, I've met seemingly intelligent people who only go into the kitchen to get a list of restaurants that deliver, and who think that the laundry and car fairies automatically take care of your dirty clothes and pump your gas.  Shouldn't they teach this in school, if nowhere else?
I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.

lovinAZ

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2007, 12:08:31 AM »
And, yep, I've met seemingly intelligent people who only go into the kitchen to get a list of restaurants that deliver, and who think that the laundry and car fairies automatically take care of your dirty clothes and pump your gas.  Shouldn't they teach this in school, if nowhere else?

ARGH NO It's not schools' job to teach kids how to do laundry and go to jiffy lube and boil water and keep things that melt or catch on fire out of the oven.  Parents do have a responsibility to teach their kids SOMETHING.

(sorry - hot button)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2007, 12:16:43 AM »
Boot camp for the military went to offering "classes" in balancing your checkbook, doing laundry, and a couple of other things some years back (I got out in 1985 - so it has been a couple of decades - not that I went to boot camp, I was an officer).

I do remember reading an Article 15 to the three guys who wanted to find out if everclear (180 proof - 90% alcohol beverage) will burn; doing a dorm inspection due to a smell reported by the dorm manage - who taught the young person to BLEACH his (un)tidy whities the next day; and a few other things that made me wonder about how on earth people could get past eighth grade without learning these things.

But as the oldest of four kids with a working mom, I had learned how to cook in junior high.  Mom did leave instructions as to what to start cooking - but Lil Sis and I ended up doing much of the prep work so that dinner was ready very quickly after Mom got home. 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2007, 12:28:01 AM »

After that I only made cakes that would fit in the microwave, you have to open that before you turn it on.

Susan

We don't even call ours "the microwave" anymore; we call it "the kitty safe."  Learned this after the third or fourth batch of steaks I set on the counter to marinate "just for a minute" and ended up eating nothing but salad and pasta for dinner...  ;)

- saphie

BittyB

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2007, 12:42:42 AM »
We don't even call ours "the microwave" anymore; we call it "the kitty safe."  Learned this after the third or fourth batch of steaks I set on the counter to marinate "just for a minute" and ended up eating nothing but salad and pasta for dinner...  ;)

- saphie

Ohhhhh dear!  After reading the entire post I realize that it is the "kitty safe" because it keeps things vaulted safely away from miss or mister kitty.  However, when I first read it my brain supplied that a kitty safe is obviously somewhere to store a kitty...  :o

smarterthanu213

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 01:51:42 AM »
If my sis leaves her microwave door open, her cat will climb inside and sleep.  :o ??? ::)

So gross. So awkard to come home to.

Buffy2424

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2007, 03:08:59 AM »
I still remember what I did to a homemade apple pie once (note: massively irresponsible post ahead).

I had been cooking and baking up a storm.  When my huge, homemade apple pie -- in its pyrex pan -- was done baking, I took it out and placed it on a burner above the oven.  It needed to cool.  Unfortunately for cooling I had neglected to turn off the burner, which must've been left on from something else I'd recently cooked. 

Uh-huh.  You know where this is going.  I get busy with my other stuff and the next t thing I know there's a minor explosion, glass everywhere... And yeah, I know, I know.  Not only was I moving stuff all over the place, but I was probably smoking, or talking on the phone, or something. 

Sob.  It only took forever to peel, core and slice all 11 of those apples!

ncognito

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2007, 07:19:32 AM »

After that I only made cakes that would fit in the microwave, you have to open that before you turn it on.

Susan

- saphie

The kitten I rescued a few weeks ago is why I put the pizza box in the oven. We had put the pasta and bread stix on top of the oven and then because my baby can't reach the counter without pulling the box over on him I slid the box in the oven. I didn't intend to store it there all night but older sons baseball game ran over by 90 minutes and by the time we got home (at 10:30 that night) I had just forgot it.

I haven't figured out how such a small kitten can manage to get on the table or counters but somehow he does it. For some strange reason he won't touch pizza though, which is why I would have sat the pizza there if son were tall enough. Twice I have sat my pasta on the counter while I ate my salad only to hear a loud crash and run through the house to discover kitty has knocked it off the counter to get the lid off and is now eating it. This kitten has the strangest habits and I wonder if it has something to do with being taken from its mom way to early.

Talley

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2007, 07:34:58 AM »
As for leaving things in the oven when preheating it, I have little story to relate that some might think rather strange or perhaps get a bit of a laugh out of it. Sorry if this is long...

When I was about 17 or 18 I moved into a little "granny flat" in my Dad's house. The flat was completely redone with a new kitchen and everything. At that time I had no clue about cooking, so I never used my brand-new oven. My grandmother, who shared the main part of the house with Dad, did all the cooking in her kitchen.

Well, one of my hobbies is writing, and at the time I was writing a rather elaborate murder mystery. Some of my friends were reading the story in installments as fast as I could type and were very keen to find out who the murderer was. I had it all mapped out and the storyline and everything written down so as to not get muddled up. Now one of my friends came to visit for the weekend, and I knew that she would not be above searching my flat for the solution to the murder mystery (it was kind of a joke amongst us that they would try everything to get the solution before I finished the story). So I had to find a good hiding place.

Yep, you guessed it, I put the outline into the never-used oven, hiding it under the baking tray. To top it off, this outline, a couple of sheets of paper, was contained in one of those see-through plastic things that can be put into ringbinders (sorry, the correct word eludes me at the moment).

My friend never found the papers - though she did try. And even I forgot where I had put them for a little while. Until a few days later I decided to bake a cake, by myself, in my new oven. So I preheated the oven and went to my grandmother's kitchen to borrow her mixer and a few other things. When I came back into my own kitchen a little while later, the room was filled with the most vile, thick smoke...

I had to open all the windows in the place for the rest of the day to get rid of the smoke. Took me a good while to clean out the oven too - and ever since then nothing but ovenproof dishes have been put into my oven. I guess I learnt my lesson. Though I must admit that I have "recooked" the odd chicken caracass left over from a dinner party. It was still in the rosting pan, which I put in the oven to hide it from my cat over night...

And 16 years later my friend is still laughing about the murder mystery that got baked... :-[

dietcokeofevil

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2007, 10:04:40 AM »

ARGH NO It's not schools' job to teach kids how to do laundry and go to jiffy lube and boil water and keep things that melt or catch on fire out of the oven.  Parents do have a responsibility to teach their kids SOMETHING.

(sorry - hot button)

My jr. high school did teach stuff like that.   One period a day was devoted to Living skills classes.  We had a different one each 9 week session.  One session was in home ec. where we learned how to iron, sew on a button, basic cooking , adjusting recipes, etc.  Another one was spent in the business classroom and we learned to type, writing checks, balancing budgets, writing proper letters and similar stuff.  Another was spent with the ag. teacher and we learned how to make cheese and how to chop down a tree...neither of which I've ever used.  I can't remember what the last session was.

Over all I found most of it to be common sense, but when I was a senior in college I discovered one of my roommates didn't know how to balance her checkbook.  And I still see adults who write their checks incorrectly.

scooter2071

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2007, 10:09:58 AM »
I've done this, more than once. It usually sorta smolders before it can catch on fire by the time I realize.

ETA: In reference to pizza boxes.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 10:18:04 AM by scooter2071 »