Author Topic: Don't forget the pizza box in the oven  (Read 11542 times)

Just Lori

• USA
Re: Don't forget the pizza box in the oven
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2007, 10:13:12 AM »
Is it any worse than backing out of your garage before you've given the garage door a chance to go all the way up?

In other words, most of us have those brainless moments.  I blame mind on the sheer amount of useless knowledge in my brain.  I can sing the lyrics from "Gilligan's Island" and tell you what my brother was wearing in his third grade school photo, but I can't remember where I put my keys five minutes ago.

TheaterDiva1

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2007, 12:27:33 PM »
In our old apartment, we didn't have enough storage space in the kitchen for pots/pand, so we stashed them in the oven when it wasn't being used.

So, one day, DH goes to preheat the oven without checking to see if it was empty.  I walked in asking "Do you smell something, like burning plastic?"  I couldn't figure it out for a few minutes - then he opens the oven and found a saucepan in there (the plastic-like handle was the foul smell).

Oops!

Sharnita

• Super Hero!
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2007, 01:21:48 PM »
Save Veronica, quick question - is the name in reference to the tv show?! Sorry if it isn't I just miss the show.

Anyway, the thing about the plastic container in the oven made me laugh.  Last year I was talking with my students about my favorite restaurants (it was 3 minutes before lunch).  I mentioned how much I live baked spaghetti.  One girl was intrigued and asked what that was so she asked how to make it.  I thought I explained it pretty well.

The next day she came in and told me I got her in trouble.  Apparently she didn't understand that baked spaghetti should be made in an oven (thus the "baked").  She had tried to make it in the microwave. In a plastic container.  The cheese got nice and melty but so did the container!

Veronica

• Super Hero!
  • the Patron Saint of Judgmental Statues
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2007, 01:36:32 PM »
Save Veronica, quick question - is the name in reference to the tv show?! Sorry if it isn't I just miss the show.

Yes it is, I'm hoping it gets renewed!

Florida

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2007, 02:04:45 PM »
I have ruined so many tupperware containers, cookie sheets, pans, etc by either leaving them too near the stove or turning on the wrong burner.  My BF thinks I am a fire hazard.  But I haven't started any fires yet, at least (knocking on wood).

I did that last night.  Twice.  We were cleaning up from dinner, with the cookie sheet on top of the stove, and I decided to make some tea to sip on.  I turned on the burner under the cookie sheet instead of the one under the kettle.  I smelled something burning, swore under my breath, turned off the burner, and turned on the correct one.  Except I didn't.  I turned on the same burner AGAIN.  Oops.

beakiebean

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2007, 02:21:09 PM »
When I moved into my last apartment it was the first time I'd ever had a gas oven. I can't even tell you how much of my Tupperware I melted forgetting that I couldn't set it on the stove because of the pilot lights underneath. I was so glad to move out of their and get an electric oven again. Gas is just not good for people like me.

Becca

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2007, 02:34:49 PM »

I once started a fire in my best friend's mom's microwave because i hit an extra zero when we were baking brownies.   :P

I also started a fire BOILING WATER. I was on the phone with my mom, at the time, too. Very very embarrrasing.  ::)

Yes, as a matter of fact, i do eat a lot of take-out.  :)
It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

milosparront

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2007, 03:14:23 PM »
Oh High Diety!!!  I've been there, done that and probably bought 4 or 5 tee-shirts!!

My mother used to put her pots and pans on top of the stove with warm water and soap to help get rid of the burned on stuff.  I tried to help her out once and accidently put dish soap in some gravey she was making.........   :o

twinkletoes

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2007, 03:40:38 PM »
When I was in college, my residence hall had a series of "basic life skills" sort of classes.  How to write a checkbook.  How to check the oil in your car. How to sew on a button.  We had kids from other dorms come over and learn.

HogwartsAlum

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2007, 04:44:49 PM »
I never put pizza boxes in the oven, but I have those cheap round metal burner covers to go over the heating elements on my 1950s electric stove.  I have to remember to take them OFF before I cook anything.  More than once I've turned on the wrong burner to preheat and come back to an awful smell, and the picture on the cover turning black and peeling off!

twinkletoes

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2007, 05:16:17 PM »
My husband, a very smart man, fixed some eggs for himself for breakfast the other morning.  About 10 minutes later, I was in the kitchen and felt heat from the oven.  Yup, the gas stove was still turned on, and he's very lucky nothing happened to the pan.  This is why I'm trying to get him to stop making himself anything on the stove on a workday - there's too much going on, and we're both racing around the apartment, trying to get ready.

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2007, 05:54:36 PM »

When I bought a new stove, one of my 'must haves' was an oven which would turn itself off after X time.  I really wish the burners had that function too.  I briefly dated a man who burned down Two kitchens.  Yes, two.  One time involved a pizza.  I frequently turn the burner off when the food is almost done, because I forget so often. 

Arianoor

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2007, 06:02:19 PM »
The first time I came across someone who used their oven as a storage device it blew my mind!  My mother has very strict kitchen rules, I guess I soaked them up as a child, because it never occurred to me to put something in the oven until I intended to cook it.

I can be pretty forgetful, so I 'm sure this has saved me from several disasters.

Maybe you should try to get out of the habit of storing anything in your oven?

Jaywalker

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2007, 06:06:09 PM »
yes, habits are your friend

pot handles always turned in, never put anything flamable on a stove burner, always check the oven before turning it on -- never leave the main floor with things cooking on the stove

accidents happen when people are not in the habit of doing safe things consistently

Arianoor

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2007, 06:12:30 PM »
accidents happen when people are not in the habit of doing safe things consistently

My Mother's favorite saying is saying is "Safety First."

She calls it the Prime Directive.

It was darn funny, everytime we (my sister and I) would leave to go do something away from her/the house she would ask, "What's the Prime Directive?"  And we'd chorus, "Safety First!!!"

I'm so well trained, she can STILL get me to do it!