Author Topic: Don't forget the pizza box in the oven  (Read 11379 times)

Telmereth

Re: Don't forget the pizza box in the oven
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2007, 05:20:32 PM »
LOL Sibby - I shall have to suggest that one to my uncle. I can just imagine him standing their taking pot shots at the cats that dare to climb on the surfaces!
I've never left a pizza box in the oven, but I have once put a frozen pizza in the oven without first removing the wee plastic base. Now that was fun to clean up!
Another time I wanted a teaspoon to spoon oil over a frying steak (the oil was seasoned) and I reached in the drawer, grabbed something suitable and started basting away. It wasn't until I noticed the spoon getting smaller that I realised it was a plastic medicine spoon! D'oh!

AdakAK

« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2007, 05:43:46 PM »
And easy to resolve - cats are very, very easily trained with a water gun. 

My cats were wiley, they knew that water guns required people to operate them.  All it taught them was to jump on the counters when our backs were turned, or they thought they were.

At that time, I also fostered rescue dogs.  I did keep much tighter control over them, but some of them were greased lightning with NO manners.

Susan

supernova

• thanks for all the fish
  • dancing alone
« Reply #62 on: April 28, 2007, 12:01:00 AM »
Yep...  squirt guns basically taught our cats to jump on the counters when we weren't looking.  ;) 

Oh, and our feral-rescue thinks that the bitter apple stuff is yummy; and so is the hot chili...   ::)  So, we keep food items in the fridge or keep it in the microwave to thaw or marinate...  'cause they just live to outwit us... 

- saphie

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #63 on: April 28, 2007, 12:15:02 AM »
public service announcement

If you do not already have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, go buy one.  Little ones cost only about $15.  There are ones that are good for the kitchen specifically -- just read the box.

We had an oven fire and the extinguisher (that we received as a wedding gift -- if anyone is looking for a useful creative gift idea) is what let it be an oven fire and not the kitchen burning down.  We went out and promptly replaced it...

AMEN to that!  We have a commercial one (I do a LOT of cooking and well...  you've seen my husband's flaming goose, haven't you?)

Alida

• Super Hero!
  • Lady Jedi
    • Alida's Journal
« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2007, 12:21:10 AM »
Oh, btw - I wasn't craving pizza 'til now

BittyB

« Reply #65 on: April 28, 2007, 01:06:10 PM »
Oh, btw - I wasn't craving pizza 'til now

There must be a threshold volume of pizza talk one can have before they suddenly get the pizza crave because me too!  I was thinking it as I was starting at the top of thread, so it wasn't that your post caused it, either.   ;D

On topic: I don't store anything in the oven.  DF used to store his pizza pan in there - the crappy old pan he cooked his cheap-o 4 for $5 pizzas on.  It took me about 3 years to get into the habit of always remembering to remove the pan before I pre-heated the oven (mum never stored things in her oven when I was growing up so I had to learn to check).  The funny thing is it took him about 4 years to get into the habit of not leaving it there!  So now I always check, and it's always empty, but I'm fine with that arrangement. :) 

I've never had the problem of pizza getting cold while we were eating it, and we leave it next to the stove while dinner is going on and then put it in the fridge after dinner.  If the box doesn't fit I put it on a dinner plate and just stack the slices in a vagually round shape and cover with plastic wrap.  For some reason pizza isn't something the cats get into (pasta, on the other hand, is another story!).

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2007, 01:29:44 PM »
I just ate lunch and now I could go order some Pizza -- Thanks All So Very Much ;)
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2007, 03:53:32 PM »
Not quite the same thing but similar.

Kiwiguy and I sat chatting away to each other while the candle on the coffee table burnt through the lid of his open laptop.  It wasn't until we smelt it that we noticed  :o.  We were less than three feet away at the time.

At least I know I have his undivided attention ;).

And I got upset when DeHubby put the plastic lid off the chip container (American South - humid, hot, and omnipresent bugs - adds up to we buy plastic containers to keep crispy things crispy because rolling down the top of the container they came in just doesn't work) on a lit candle.............and it melted through the top.  He hadn't realized that I hadn't blown out the candle.  He had called me back to the sickroom to ask me what I was burning in the kitchen.............

I no longer leave lit candles in reach of his arms when he is eating in his sickbed.

***sigh***
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Pixie

« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2007, 04:27:13 PM »
Don't hate me, but NOTHING gets stored in my oven. Also I can leave any food I want to out anywhere, I can set my full plate on the table and walk away because..... drum roll..... my cats won't touch "People food"!   Seriously, not even chicken or tuna, they want no part of it.   Its the strangest thing for me because I'm so used to hiding, covering, stashing food away from cats, but these two act insulted if you offer them a bite of chicken or a tuna tidbit!   They want their  cat food and that is it!

Suze

• Super Hero!
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2007, 05:09:02 PM »
Pixie that sounds like two of my three furbabies.  the third one runs hot and cold toward "people food"  If it comes into the house in a sack (Wendy's so forth) you can't get rid of her.

Now a glass of drink on the other hand. My eldest will first stick a paw in the glass to see if is "wet" and then stick her face in to get a drink.  It seems peppermint iced tea is a favorite (makes sense it is in the same family as catnip)

We drink a lot of stuff through straws and a baggie over the glass

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #70 on: April 28, 2007, 05:17:08 PM »
Don't hate me, but NOTHING gets stored in my oven. Also I can leave any food I want to out anywhere, I can set my full plate on the table and walk away because..... drum roll..... my cats won't touch "People food"!   Seriously, not even chicken or tuna, they want no part of it.   Its the strangest thing for me because I'm so used to hiding, covering, stashing food away from cats, but these two act insulted if you offer them a bite of chicken or a tuna tidbit!   They want their  cat food and that is it!

SnotKitty is the same.  The irresponsible parent of the human variety started bottle feeding the kittens because 8 or 9 MaineCoons can really drain their mommy.  Mine did not want anything to do with it.  But just try to sleep late when she can see the bottom of the cat food bowl. 

Suze

• Super Hero!
« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2007, 05:25:57 PM »

SnotKitty is the same.  The irresponsible parent of the human variety started bottle feeding the kittens because 8 or 9 MaineCoons can really drain their mommy.  Mine did not want anything to do with it.  But just try to sleep late when she can see the bottom of the cat food bowl. 

Bad Mommy -- letting the bottom of the bowl show!

Nothing quite like the outraged cat in the morning that is "just starving to death" because there is a postage stamp size spot in the bottom of the bowl that has no food covering it.

Pixie

« Reply #72 on: April 29, 2007, 11:31:59 AM »
Lest anyone think I am raising "angel" kitties.... NO, they are not.   We are not allowed to use straws in our house as Jessica will knock over any glass with a straw.  She will also knock over any vase with flowers in it, just because she can.    Joseph will wake me up at 3 or 4 in the morning, if he even thinks he might be able to tell what color his food dish is!  Lord help us if we attempt to give him filtered water from the tap.... oh no, his water must come from the dispenser on the Refrigerator door!   But he's not a bit spoiled.... not at all!

BittyB

« Reply #73 on: April 29, 2007, 12:57:39 PM »
My oldest kitty is a lush.  If you leave a glass of milk on the coffee table he will sniff it and wander off.  If you leave a screwdriver (vodka and orange juice, potentially more vodka than the other!) on the coffee table his head is SO in there.  So I have to be rather careful - a little bit of vodka in a 14 pound animal could be pretty bad I think!

ncognito

« Reply #74 on: April 29, 2007, 04:07:53 PM »
Lest anyone think I am raising "angel" kitties.... NO, they are not.   We are not allowed to use straws in our house as Jessica will knock over any glass with a straw.  She will also knock over any vase with flowers in it, just because she can.    Joseph will wake me up at 3 or 4 in the morning, if he even thinks he might be able to tell what color his food dish is!  Lord help us if we attempt to give him filtered water from the tap.... oh no, his water must come from the dispenser on the Refrigerator door!   But he's not a bit spoiled.... not at all!

I am glad that some1 else has this prob. My kitten is addicted to straws. He will go to any length to steal one, he will even sit and mew at the dish drainer if he sees a straw in it until we remove it. I have never encountered another cat like him. He doesn't like a lot of "people food" either, just pasta, bacon and tuna (won't touch chicken, fish, or steak).