Author Topic: Veal Parmigiana and Tirimisu  (Read 1719 times)

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
Veal Parmigiana and Tirimisu
« on: April 28, 2007, 07:53:53 PM »
DH loves homemade Italian food, I am pretty decent in the kitchen.  I can make the standard lasagna, spaghetti fare from scratch, and I have a pretty good homemade alfredo recipe he loves.  But I need major help finding a veal parmigiana recipe that I think he would like (never tried making it).  Anyone know of a good one?

Also, a tirimisu recipe would be great as well.  Always wanted to try that out as well.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
Re: Veal Parmigiana and Tirimisu
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 03:49:06 PM »
I can't help you with the veal since I've never cooked with it, but tiramisu is pretty hard to screw up.  The ingredients just plain taste good no matter how you stack them.

This recipe from foodnetwork.com is good, but I don't like using raw egg yolks.  http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_23920,00.html?rsrc=search

For a really lazy version, sprinkle prepackaged ladyfingers with espresso and sweet marsala, put them in a dessert dish, top with a large dollop of sweetened mascarpone (I'd use superfine or powdered sugar to sweeten it), and dust with cocoa powder.  If you have cheap vanilla beans around, too (like from Vanilla Saffron Imports here http://www.theposter.com/vanilla2.html), you could scrape the insides of one bean into the mascarpone for a nice speckly vanilla kick (save the shell of the bean for later use, like storing in the sugar jar).

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 05:49:02 PM »
This works well for Tiramisu:

2 packages (about 12 each) of ladyfingers
4 egg yolks
cup of sugar
1 lb of Marscapone cheese
1 cup of heavy cream
cup coffee
2 Tbsp brandy or orange liqueur
Cocoa powder, about 1/4 c, for sifting

In a large bowl, beat egg yolks with sugar until the mixture is thickened and light lemon color.
Mix in the Marscapone cheese until thoroughly mixed.
In a medium-size bowl, whip cream until stiff peaks form. Reserve about 1/3 c of the whipped cream.
Fold cream into cheese mixture.
Mix cooled coffee and liqueur in a bowl.
Dip the ladyfingers in coffee mixture.
Place one layer of ladyfingers on bottom of large bowl.
Pour in half the cheese mixture and smooth.
Add another layer of the ladyfingers dipped in coffee mixture.
Pour the remaining cheese mixture on top and smooth.
Top with reserved whipped cream.
Sift cocoa powder over top.
Chill for several hours, then serve.

My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Psykogrl

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2007, 11:16:38 PM »
Veal Parmesean is super easy :)

All you need is some Veal Cutlets (thinly sliced; if they are not thin, just pound them down a little) a few eggs, flour, breadcrumbs, your favorite tomato sauce and cheese

Season your flour with a little salt and pepper in one dish. Beat a few eggs with a little water in a bowl. Season your breadcrumbs with some dried herbs (Basil, Oregano, Parsely, etc) in a third dish. Bread the veal by first coating in flour, then egg, then breadcrumbs. Set on a plate or cookie sheet until all are breaded ( letting them sit a few minutes help the breading adhere better)

Then you can either bake or pan fry them. To bake, preheat the oven to 350, and cook about 10 minutes; don't worry if it's not completely done because you need to cook it more afterward. To pan fry, heat a little olive oil in a saute pan, and cook until browned on each side then drain.

To assemble the parm, lay the cooked cutlets in a baking dish they all fit comfortably in. Cover with your favorite tomato sauce, then sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and parmesean or romano cheese. Cover and bake about 20 minutes (that will heat the sauce through and completely cook teh veal if you were worried they weren't done) I usually take the cover off in the last 5 minutes or so, so that the cheese can bubble up and brown a little

If you need clarification on anything I wrote, let me know! :D

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 05:17:38 AM »
Wow, thank a lot!  I'm gonna try these out this weekend... Hopefully I can find ladyfingers up here.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 04:36:39 PM »
If you can't find ladyfingers, sliced pound cake can do in a pinch.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."