Author Topic: Day old bread ideas?  (Read 1609 times)

minnaloushe

Day old bread ideas?
« on: April 25, 2007, 11:03:38 PM »
Please help!

For reasons I won't bore you with, I find myself up to my ears in day old bread. I froze some, ate some and made stuff out of the rest.  Please, if anyone has any other ideas I would loved to hear them. This will happen again.

I have stuffing, bread pudding, french toast, and half a dozen breadcrumb filled meatloaves in the freezer. All our friends have no more room, the birds love us, bagsful are dropped off in Oppenheimer Park, and I can't think of anything else to do.

My cats, who think bread soaked with tuna oil should be a regular part of the menu, and I thank you.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
Re: Day old bread ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 11:10:59 PM »
I'm a grilled cheese. or grilled mozzarella and tomato fan myself.  ;D

Bharris

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 12:59:25 AM »
Day old bread makes wonderful croutons and bruschetta.
I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.

Mazdoy

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 03:36:01 AM »
Breadcrumbs lightly fried with chilli and garlic can make a great topping for risotto.

SweetTinkerbelle

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2007, 07:16:09 AM »
Are they sliced or unsliced loaves?  If they are unsliced loaves, hollow them out for bread bowls for chili or soup.  Save what you hollowed out for dipping.  Or make a cheesy fondue!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 07:33:22 AM by SweetTinkerbelle »

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2007, 07:27:53 AM »
Please help!

For reasons I won't bore you with, I find myself up to my ears in day old bread. I froze some, ate some and made stuff out of the rest.  Please, if anyone has any other ideas I would loved to hear them. This will happen again.

Turn them into breadcrumbs and freeze them. Then use them in treacle tart, breaded vegetables, fishcakes etc.

minnaloushe

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2007, 05:04:41 PM »
Treacle = Molasses, correct?

Wordgeek

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 11:35:26 PM »
Yes, treacle is molasses.

Dry the bread on very low heat in the oven and whiz through a food processor.  Excellent bread crumbs.  Use them to top fruit crumbles or casseroles, coat fish or meat, etc.

Another use for sliced bread is breakfast casserole: Line a baking dish with bread and layer stuff on top: ham, cheese, onions, peppers, whatever.  Whisk a few eggs into some milk, season, and pour over the bread.   Bake for about 45 minutes in a moderate oven, until a knife comes out clean. 

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2007, 12:31:48 AM »

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 07:51:00 AM »

Um, is molasses so dark it's nearly black and very sticky? Then, yes.

I prefer golden syrup tart to real treacle. Real treacle is very dark and an acquired taste.

minnaloushe

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 12:08:12 PM »
Yum, I love molasses, but I've never made a treacle tart. These are some great ideas, thank you all. I can't wait to see what kind of bread we get today.

nrb80

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 12:14:28 PM »

Um, is molasses so dark it's nearly black and very sticky? Then, yes.

I prefer golden syrup tart to real treacle. Real treacle is very dark and an acquired taste.

Yup.  And an absolute pain to clean up if it spills!

Telmereth

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2007, 09:41:47 AM »
I have wondered why my mother makes treacle tart out of golden syrup and not treacle, but thinking about it, actual treacle tart doesn't sound nearly as appetising!

Hmmm, day old bread? Whizz it up in a blender with a bit of salt, pepper and paprika to make yummy savoury breadcrumbs to coat chicken in (nuggets or the whole thing, whichever you prefer).
Make bread and butter pudding? It's slightly different to bread pudding and I personally prefer it! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_and_butter_pudding

It's out of season right now, but if, like you said, this will happen again, what about using bread to make mincepies? Substitute pastry circles with ones cut out of bread, fill with mincemeat, seal and coat the top with beaten egg. Very different and very yummy!

Other than that, I second all the ideas others have said!

Mikayla

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2007, 06:42:43 PM »
My DH makes killer croutons.  He cubes the bread, sprinkles with EVOO, pepper and garlic, tosses them, puts on a baking pan and broils until lightly browned.  These keep a long time in an airtight container, too.

And of course...fondue!