Author Topic: Hosting or Providing The Diggs?  (Read 1199 times)

MadMadge43

• MadMadge43
  • Super Hero!
  • Etiquette is making others feel special
Hosting or Providing The Diggs?
« on: April 28, 2007, 02:03:42 AM »
I went to a work colleagues Condo HOA party tonight. I shall mention that it was fabulous, Sex & the City type of event. It was sooo Cosmo.

My colleague (whom I interact with, but do not work for the same company) is 24, and bought an upscale loft in downtown LA (I hope it's family money because he's starting to make me feel like a real loser). He lives with his 23 year old brother. At the association meeting he was talked into hosting bi-weekly parties for all of the condo owners. The flyer said, beer and food will be provided, please bring your own spirits  or wine.

I brought a bottle of Sky vodka, because it's what I had on hand. When I arrived, there was a jar with money in it with the club name on it. It really wasn't obvious that you should contribute money too. Colleague asked me to collect money because he knows I'm really good at it, but I refused and said it wasn't polite because it wasn't on the flyer. And also, I wasn't working for any of my volunteer organizations and really didn't feel like it.

These two should not be expected to feed and supply beer every two weeks for at least half of the 60 units. That's not fair. It's enough that their condo will be the gathering place with the clean up and all.

So do they put an admission price on the flyer, e-mail that there are other costs involved and to please provide some monetary donations? I mean how do they do this with good taste?

I very much expect to attend again, and next time since I know the situation, will bring drinks and money, but myself like others hadn't really thought about it.

FoxPaws

• Super Hero!
Re: Hosting or Providing The Diggs?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 02:21:05 AM »
Shouldn't bi-weekly parties for an HOA be rotated among the residents? It seems unfair to stick it all on one person. Methinks your friend is being taken for granted.

He needs to make these shindigs potluck or contact his HOA and ask them to pony up for the expenses or spread the hosting duties amongst all the members. Even if only half the residents participate, it's still 30 units/26 parties - everyone hosts once a year. Sounds fair to me.  :)
I am so a lady. And if you say I'm not, I'll slug you. - Cindy Brady

Mikayla

Re: Hosting or Providing The Diggs?
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 11:55:13 AM »
I've heard of these types of gatherings before, but usually they take place in a lobby/rec room/etc owned by the association.  I''ve never heard of individual condos being the venue.

Obviously this should have been clarified upfront, and now your poor colleague is stuck with that job  ;D

Rather than stick a request on the flyer, I'd recommend that he bring this up at the next event as a discussion issue.  He can offer to either make a schedule for rotating the gatherings (with the host providing the refreshments) or he can continue to host them himself and suggest a cover charge per attendee (not sure what that would be).

I would definitely get a handle on it, though, and be very specific about expectations.  Relying on common sense and goodwill generally results in much hair pulling!