Author Topic: Ooops - He doesn't know ASL  (Read 5934 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: Ooops - He doesn't know ASL
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 11:39:11 AM »
Oh my lord. I just realized my lovely typo!! I've read this a couple of times today, but thought you meant something else. I'm such a dork!  ::)  hee hee hee

I kept waiting for you to respond! :D

rashea

• Super Hero!
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 11:03:06 PM »
I totally agree.  Why couldnt they speak as they were signing? I know plenty of people who do this.

Actually, I am taking ASL now and we are told not to do this. The word order is different, and it can be hard to do both at once, at least at first. If they were practicing, or just new to it, they might not be able to do it. It might be possible for one person to sign, and another to try to translate, but doing both at the same time is tricky.
"Manners change, principles don't. It's about treating people with consideration, respect and honesty." Peter Post

Vermont

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 12:13:58 AM »
I totally agree.  Why couldnt they speak as they were signing? I know plenty of people who do this.

Actually, I am taking ASL now and we are told not to do this. The word order is different, and it can be hard to do both at once, at least at first. If they were practicing, or just new to it, they might not be able to do it. It might be possible for one person to sign, and another to try to translate, but doing both at the same time is tricky.

Yes, it is very tricky.  I studied interpretation in college and had to learn ASL as well as regular sign language.  ASL is the language of the deaf community, so it is preferable to the other.  But it doesn't correlate all that well to spoken English.

ettacat

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 12:04:57 PM »
My 24 yr old niece is fluent in ASL and is pursuing a career in teaching the deaf. That is great. However, I find it to be rude when she and her mother, my SIL, do it around those of us who don't understand. None of the family is deaf.