Author Topic: HOA and the Neighbor May - October 2005  (Read 14479 times)

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
HOA and the Neighbor May - October 2005
« on: December 17, 2006, 05:38:12 PM »
5/15/2005 , posted by Cskirpan

Hi everyone! I have a question and need to know what you guys think of this. My DH is away until the middle of this week, so I can't ask him.

This morning, my 7 yr. old DD was "Checking the perimeter" as per her father's instructions. She mentioned something about it being very wet out there, but since it had rained last night, I didn't think anything of it.

We were out there a little while ago (spent the day at my parents' home) and all along the fence is very wet- swampy. You could hear water running. I went around the back of the fence (their side, but still on our property) and my *darling* neighbors have a garden hose running. It's on their property, but the the hose is angled in such a way that the water is running along the bottom of the fence.

There is a small (6 to 8 inch) "river" running along their side of the fence now. Could this knock down the fence? We used footers and put them in very deep with concrete and everything, but now I'm worried. Are they trying to damage it? Can it damage it? Can you leave water running like that? They aren't on our property, so I don't know if I could make them stop running water like that. Could I?

Thanks!

Cathy

6/10/2005, posted Cskirpan
Hi everyone! Things have been quiet on the neighbor front for the past few weeks, well until last night that is.

Background info: I live on a small farm (with veggie, garden, flower gardens, goat, swing set) The farm next door was sold, developed and became a home owner's asscoiation.

Our new neighbors have complained to the HOA president about us, called the cops and sent photos & letters of "how we are breaking the HOA rules" to us. We put up a 6' privacy fence and had a temp. restraining order on them. It has run out. We even now have a lawyer- DH loves calling him "Our family attorney." ;)

This morning, I mowed our lawn and then used the weed wacker around the mailbox, trees and along the fence.

After lunch, our phone rang. It was the HOA secretary (?), whom we have never heard of before. She wanted to know if I had been mowing the lawn and using a "weed removal device"

I told her that, yes, I had been mowing, why?

She said that it is against HOA rules to mow before noon and I was cleary in violation and I should now consider myself on probabtion.

(Trying to control my laughter) I explained that I was not part of the HOA and to please discuss this matter with Mr. HOA president, as he had been made aware of our aituation.

She was silent for a moment; and then asked where our home was located.

I told her and she was apologized and said that she would inform <Lovely neighbor name> of this fact.

Since she was being nice, I told the that <lovely neighbor> was already aware of that.

"All right, then, I see" she said. We wished each other a nice afternoon and hung up.

It ought to be a fun summer!

Cathy

9/02/2005, posted by Cskirpan

Hi everyone! I forgot which "installment #" I was on, so I'll just use "Neighbor woes update" from now on.

My 2 DDs started school on Mon. They had an Open House last night.

Anyway, the director of transporation spoke. He said that due to rising gas costs, he was revising the bus schedule. He was combining bus stops and asking the parents to walk the kids a bit farther to the bus each day.

OK, fine, he said it's only temporary and I don't mind walking a bit. He is taking every 3 bus stops (call the A,B and C) and having all of the kids meet at B- in the middle. I hope this makes sense.

It turns out the our house is B (yeah- no walking in the winter). To our right, about 1/4 mile away are a family with 2 boys and to our left is the lovely home owner's association. It seems like the only house with children in elementary school are . . .drum roll, please. . .my favorite neighbors' 2 boys.

I have no problem with these boys. In fact, I'm not sure that I would recognize them in a group.

Well, the neighbor woman (NW) began complaining loudly that she didn't want her boys getting the bus at THAT HOUSE and wasn't it a coincidence that *my* kids didn't have to walk.

You see I'm the vice president of the PTA this year. (Hold your applause, it's not like there was a vote, more of a "Who wants to be stuck with being president this year?" I volunteered for vice pres. to get out of being the pres.)

The NW obviously thought that because I'm VP, I have special powers, which I don't. No one even knew this was happening until last night.

So this morning, the mom from up the road comes by with her 2 boys. We were standing outside waiting for the bus, when NW drove over with her 2 boys.

She swung around and parked partly on the road, partly in my yard (ignored the driveway) and they sat in the car until the bus comes. My 2 DDs, the other 2 boys get on the bus, her 2 *slowly* leave the car, get their backpacks and lunches from the trunk of the car, give their mom a kiss and get on the bus. As the bus doors close, NW waves 2 jackets out her car window, her boys get up and *slowly* get off the bus to get their jackets.

The funny part is, they started to run back on the bus (like you'd expect kids to do) and she yelled "Slow down!" They slowed to a crawl.

Before the bus closed its' doors she pulled out in front of it and drove *extremely slowly* to the gate of the HOA. Then she sat there
by her mailbox for at least 2 minutes before she scooted over her seat and stuck a letter in her box. Then she put her blinker on and pulled foreward *slowly* and then finally turned into her road.

I'm wondering what's up with having the boys get slowly on the bus, blocking the bus, sitting at the mailbox and all. I mean, why did she have the boys put their backpacks in the trunk, it took them at least 2 minutes to unlock the trunk and get them out. Why not do that before the bus comes?

She was evidently trying to annoy the h#ll out of someone, but I can't figure out who. Me? I thought it was hilarious. Not the other mom, who was snickering when NW drove (or coasted) off. The only one who seemed annoyed was the bus driver who looked ready to strangle her.

Cathy

9/06/2005, posted by Cskirpan

Hi everyone! This morning NW again drove her kids to my house to catch the bus. They sat in the running car and waited for the bus.

I took someone's advice and my DDs and the other neighbor's 2 boys were playing frisbee. I also had a bowl of mini blueberry muffins sitting out, which all the kids were eating.

NW's 2 boys started to get out of the car to join us and their mom told thewm sharply to stay in the car. So NW sat and glared at us and the boys looked heartbroken.

OK, here's the hard part, now I feel horribly guily. I kind of feel as if I'm "using" her boys in this. I keep remembering the littler one's face; he looked like he was going to cry. <Sigh>

When the bus came, she did the thing with the backpacks in the trunk and pulled out in front of the bus again. Again, she stopped in front of her mailbox and rummaged around looking for a letter or something to mail.

This time, a woman got off the bus and knocked on her car window (this wasn't the bus driver, I'm not sure who she was, but I know that if there is trouble with parents- usually custody issues or things like that- the district has a 2nd adult ride the bus). The woman told NW to either get her car out of the way immediately or she would be cited with section *some official sounding letter and number combination*, obstructing a bus when minor passengers are aboard.

Now I have no idea if this was a real offense or if the woman just made it up. It sounded really good though. NW slammed her car into gear and whipped it into her road and out of the way.

The woman got back on the bus. The other mom and I waved to the kids on the bus and that was it.

Now I really wish that the batteries had been charged in the camcorder, because I would have LOVED to have showned this to DH.

Cathy

10/07/2005, posted by Cskirpan

Hi everyone! Last night we had a PTA mtg and talked about the PTA's Halloween parade. Every year the kids in the elementary school wear their costumes to school and have a parade in the gym. Then they change and go on with the day as usual.

We were asking for parent volunteers to help the little ones change, to lead the classrooms to the gym, just general stuff.

So my *lovely* neighbor woman (NW) and her husband raise their hands and she says, "I have a question!"

So then she stands there and the pres. says, "Well, what is it?"

She says, "I'm waiting for the floor to recognize me."

Now, we are a very informal PTA, usually only about 15 people come to the mtgs. and we don't "recognize" anyone. Also NW has been attending these mtgs since last spring and unless she was asleep (hey, it's possible) she has to know how informal we are.

Anyway, the pres. say again, "Yes, what do you want?"

NW asks what the children are allowed to wear. We look at her blankly and someone says . "Costumes?"

She asks if we have guidelines. The principal explains that they don't like to see very violent costumes, they leave it up to parents.

So NW pulls out a paper and starts to read.

"I, *NW full name*, would like to propose the forming of a committee to issue guidelines of acceptable costumes. I volunteer to chair such committee and present to the current *school name* PTA executive board a proposed list of unacceptable costumes."

Then her DH walks around handing out papers. These are letters to the parents from the PTA EXECUTIVE BOARD and it lists unappropriate costumes.

1. No Indians or hoboes- mocking Native Americans and the homeless (I'll give her this point, but I haven't seen a child dress as a hobo since I was a kid)

2. No gypsies- disrespectful to an ethnic group

3. No witches- disrespectful to a religion and smacks of satanism (Don't flame me for this one- I thinks she's crazy as well)

4. Costumes must be no more revealing than a one piece bathing suit.

5. No ghosts-disrespectful to those children who have recently lost family members

6. Dressing your child in a costume that depicts a different nationality is disrespectful to that nationality (Does this mean that if your child doesn't have the same color skin as the Disney princess she wants to be- it's disrespectful?)

7. No boxers, wrestlers or aggressive male oriented costumes (My husband wants to know if this means female wrestlers are in?)

There's about 10 more, but it's all this ridiculous. After she finished, the pres. nicely told her that we would all read her suggestions and discuss it at the next mtg (after Halloween btw ;)

NW asked that we hold a formal vote at the present mtg. So the pres. asked for a show of hands as to who believed NW's suggestions were necessary and who felt that we needed this committee. Only NW and her DH raised their hands. Then the pres. said there would be no need to discuss it at the Nov. mtg. as it has been put to rest tonight.

I thought NW's head was going to explode. It was great.

On a lighter note, my DH is begging me to rethink our kids' Halloween costumes and make the girls prostitutes and our son their pimp then take them trick or treating next door.

I say we just let them go in their planned costumes- Oldest DD will be Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz (can't think of anything bad about that), middle DD is going to be Glinda the Good Witch (no, not a witch) and our son is - GASP- going to be a Munchkin (picking on short people) My family is just so sick.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 02:50:44 AM by Ehelldame »

Ehelldame

• Administrator
  • I'm evil personified to the terminally crass.
    • Etiquette Hell
Re: HOA and the Neighbor May - October 2005
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2007, 02:51:14 AM »
bump...not sure why I locked the HOA threads but they are open now.

Asharah

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2007, 04:01:20 AM »
This time, a woman got off the bus and knocked on her car window (this wasn't the bus driver, I'm not sure who she was, but I know that if there is trouble with parents- usually custody issues or things like that- the district has a 2nd adult ride the bus). The woman told NW to either get her car out of the way immediately or she would be cited with section *some official sounding letter and number combination*, obstructing a bus when minor passengers are aboard.

Now I have no idea if this was a real offense or if the woman just made it up. It sounded really good though. NW slammed her car into gear and whipped it into her road and out of the way.
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Dressing your child in a costume that depicts a different nationality is disrespectful to that nationality (Does this mean that if your child doesn't have the same color skin as the Disney princess she wants to be- it's disrespectful?)
I would love to bring my beautiful bi-racial niece to her door in a blonde braided wig and lederhosen(sp?) just so she'll make a fuss and I can retort, "Well, she's part German too!
Asharah

litecandles

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 08:58:17 PM »
I am so glad that you have such a sense of humor and can write about this in such a non negative way.

Asharah

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2007, 11:38:22 PM »
After lunch, our phone rang. It was the HOA secretary (?), whom we have never heard of before. She wanted to know if I had been mowing the lawn and using a "weed removal device"

I told her that, yes, I had been mowing, why?

She said that it is against HOA rules to mow before noon and I was cleary in violation and I should now consider myself on probabtion.
I hope it doesn't get to hot there in the summer. Wouldn't want HOA people dying of heat stroke because they can't mow in the early morning. Where I live it's normally way to hot by noon in the summer to be doing yard work!
Asharah

Sophia

• Super Hero!
  • xi
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 04:17:11 PM »
I am saying this in all seriousness. 

Isn't this love of rules and bureaucracy a mental disease?  Not that it is now, but that it should be. 

housewife2k

• Super Hero!
  • I want to be a Pirate AND a Ninja!
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2007, 03:15:08 PM »
Miss Jeanne! Thank you for unlocking these!!
I love the HOA stories.
What really cracks me up with the hallowween cotumes-I'm gypsy-my dad's family still talks about the day my Great-gamma and her oldest first came to America, and I am still prone to swearing in Vlax Romani around kids-they cannot repeat what they don't understand!
I have never once met a Gypsy who is offended by kids dressing up at hallowween. Heck, my Great-gamma used to joke with the nighborhood women that it would make it easier to steal people's babies!

Granted-great-gamma could hardly be called polite if she didn't want to be.

Asharah

Asharah

Clara Bow

• Super Hero!
  • I gotta go.
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2007, 03:15:44 PM »
It is pathetic how happy I was to see that new update, and how I am on tenterhooks waiting for the next one.
I have finally found the bar I can't get thrown out of....