Author Topic: A Really Nice Celebrity  (Read 1830 times)

NEDESAPIO

A Really Nice Celebrity
« on: April 26, 2007, 12:22:21 PM »
I mentioned in the course of another thread several weeks ago that my brother, a professional violinist, was going to meet the English actor Derek Jacobi (I, Claudius; Cadfael) as Sir Derek was giving a reading at the Folger Shakespeare Theatre in DC, and my brother was playing for the program's musical component.  Well, my brother did meet Sir Derek and says he was the NICEST, most considerate man.  One example:  he took the time to give my brother his autograph and was very approachable and friendly about it.  Another example:  at the final rehearsal the actors were doing a "sound test" (reading their lines for the sound engineer) and the orchestra, which included my brother, was just sitting there with nothing to do.  Suddenly, Sir Derek turned around, noticed the orchestra still sitting there, and said to them, "Oh, you must be so tired!  You can go take a rest!"  Unfortunately, the conductor made them stay.  But wasn't that nice of Sir Derek?  I mean, being one of the great British actors of our time he might have said, "No, you can't leave.  You have to stay here and listen to my magnificent voice!"           

Cellardoor14

• caviar and cigarettes... well versed in etiquette
Re: A Really Nice Celebrity
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 04:54:43 PM »

Yah for Sir Derek!

I think I mentioned in another thread that some of my friends have meet him and said he was lovely.

I am so glad they were right  :)