Author Topic: You X? I guess you believe Y!  (Read 19505 times)

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
Re: You X? I guess you believe Y!
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2009, 12:34:20 PM »
When telling a date that while I had buttons that could be pushed, overall I had a long fuse...

"I have never met a Lavender woman with a long fuse".

Overall (hope this is not too transparent):

"You're from Lavenderville? You must be vain, have a temper, be lazy, want to move back there anytime soon, not want to pay taxes, not be loyal to the USA. Forget about all your talents, quirks, good qualities, anything else. All I can see you now is as a Lavender".

And also...

"I assumed you were Lilac rather than Lavender due to your fair skin/Masters Degree. After all, Lilacs are the most affluent Purples."

I have pet mice!

M-theory

• cybernetic loving
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2009, 01:18:30 PM »
When telling a date that while I had buttons that could be pushed, overall I had a long fuse...

"I have never met a Lavender woman with a long fuse".

Overall (hope this is not too transparent):

"You're from Lavenderville? You must be vain, have a temper, be lazy, want to move back there anytime soon, not want to pay taxes, not be loyal to the USA. Forget about all your talents, quirks, good qualities, anything else. All I can see you now is as a Lavender".

And also...

"I assumed you were Lilac rather than Lavender due to your fair skin/Masters Degree. After all, Lilacs are the most affluent Purples."

OK, I think I know what Lavender is, but you have me stumped on Lilac. Where I'm from pretty much all Purples are Lavenders, so I guess I lack knowledge about the other shades. :P

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2009, 01:49:25 PM »
Doesn't apply to me -- I find the sport boring -- but I have heard it applied to my father and one of my best friends:

"You like NASCAR, so you must be an ignorant redneck/love to see car crashes/an uneducated Southerner."

Neither my friend nor my father fit this description, thank you very much.

And one of the people I know who likes wrestling is a college professor, hardly the wrestling fan stereotype.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2009, 02:12:03 PM »
Mediancat: An old friend from college was a minister who was getting a PhD- yet he liked wrestling.

I do not care for it, but I would not fault someone for liking it.

Solumbra: Lavender is not the largest Purple group by sheer numbers nationwide, though they may be in several states. Lilac MAY be the largest one in my state (not 100% sure about this), as well as the most affluent overall (unless you count the few Violets and Aubergines and Plums from the Southern Cone- which are very few, and I still do not know if they are more affluent in general than the Lilacs). Father is Grape, Mother is Lavender, I'm an American Girl :)
I have pet mice!

FunkyMunky

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2009, 10:22:18 PM »

Your DF plays D&D? He must neglect you/not bathe/be ugly.

Nope. I play too, he bathes regularly, and I think he's quite cute.  :)

Oh come ON NOW!!!  You all MUST live in his mother's basement at the VERY least!!  ;D

His parents don't have a basement.  ;D

Firecat

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2009, 11:10:52 PM »

Oh come ON NOW!!!  You all MUST live in his mother's basement at the VERY least!!  ;D

You should see the reactions when I tell people that I met my DH at a LARP...well, once I finish explaining what a LARP is.  ::)

My personal favorite:

"You don't want kids? You must HATE CHILDREN!!" (I don't hate them - I just prefer to borrow them for awhile, and then give them back.) But, you know, any female who doesn't want babies is somehow unnatural and EEEEEEVVVVILLLLL.

Actually, I'm normally only evil when I'm refing a D&D game...like when I had all the teenage girls in this one village chasing after my DH's paladin... >:D. The other players still tease him about that...in character.

Keres

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2009, 11:32:06 PM »
How can you not find Snowflake misbehaving absolutely adorable?  You have a kid of your own!

FunkyMunky

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2009, 12:07:52 AM »

You should see the reactions when I tell people that I met my DH at a LARP...well, once I finish explaining what a LARP is.  ::)

<snip>

Actually, I'm normally only evil when I'm refing a D&D game...like when I had all the teenage girls in this one village chasing after my DH's paladin... >:D. The other players still tease him about that...in character.

I don't see how a LARP is any worse than 'we met at a bar while both plastered'.

Our DM went evil once he read the character sheets and realised that our 'seductress' didn't have a charisma modifier (in fact hers was the lowest in the group).  ;D

"You won't let me have [item which is rightfully yours]? You're so greedy!" As opposed to the person who wants my hard-earned item?

Firecat

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 12:38:10 AM »

<snip>

I don't see how a LARP is any worse than 'we met at a bar while both plastered'.

Our DM went evil once he read the character sheets and realised that our 'seductress' didn't have a charisma modifier (in fact hers was the lowest in the group).  ;D

"You won't let me have [item which is rightfully yours]? You're so greedy!" As opposed to the person who wants my hard-earned item?

Well, you see, LARPs are geeky, and bars are cool  ::)  - or that seems to be the general perception. I've never understood what's so glamorous about bars...I'm not big on crowds, don't really like noisy environments, don't dance much, and I hate breathing cigarette smoke (back when I met my DH, smoking was still allowed in bars here). At least, meeting that way, we knew right away we had something in common!

Our dungeon party actually gets along really well, and our characters work together. Which, according to my DH, makes us very, VERY dangerous.  >:D  Although last time we had a rather lengthy discussion about what we're doing to with an item we got (a magical sword that is admittedly cool, but none of us would really use it). I wanted to sell it, but another player wanted to keep it because of the "cool" factor. But it was totally amicable, with everyone listening to each other and acknowledging their points.

Aemirai

« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2009, 06:28:20 PM »
I met my fiance at a LARP too.  And yes, explaining exactly what a LARP is is always fun.  Although I've been pretty lucky that no one has made any unkind assumptions about me based on that information.  It may be because the only people I've had to explain it to so far have been fellow library science students, so we're all geeky in different ways.   ;)

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2009, 10:51:49 PM »
Mediancat: An old friend from college was a minister who was getting a PhD- yet he liked wrestling.

I do not care for it, but I would not fault someone for liking it.

I've always figured it this way: Everyone has something they spend far too much time on, which other people might regard as "a waste of time." The person who rails against the man in the authentic Klingon outfit has a lovingly detailed model train set in their basement. My friend the college professor likes wrestling. Me, I write fanfiction.

And, along this thread's topic: "You write fanfiction? I guess you're one of those wacky obsessed fans who would kill for the next installment of [Insert fandom here.]"

Yes. Yes I am. So?

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Ender

« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2009, 10:24:01 AM »
You larp/play DnD?

Ooooohh, the DnD assumptions. I always, always get:
"You play Dungeons and Dragons? Seriously? Let me guess, you're an elf." (said in a tone that elves are the only characters a female will like cause they're 'pretty').

No. Dwarf. A short, gruff, muscle-y, ale-drinking Dwarf. But good job!

I've gotten the kids one a lot. Boyfriend and I don't want children, and every time it comes up, someone will wonder if something was wrong in my childhood.

SilentEloquence

« Reply #42 on: June 05, 2009, 11:58:42 AM »
Hi everyone!  It is very nice to be a part of this board (I'm new).

I have several  X/Ys for you:

You have black hair.  You must be goth. No, my hair is naturally dark, and I don't want to be bothered having to keep up with maintaining dark roots every three months.

You're in college?  You/your parents/your family must be made of money.  No, I am having to rely on financial aid, and I'm actually struggling right now.  Not that it's any of your business...

You rely on financial aid to go to college?  You poor people really like abusing the system.  Why don't you just get a job?  No, I put myself through college so I wouldn't HAVE to be poor any longer, so I could get a decent job.  Besides, have you heard about the economy lately?

You're on food stamps?  You must be fat because statistics (from 1990) show that all poor people are fat.  First of all, I eat healthy foods.  Secondly, I teach belly dancing as a hobby, so I'm fit as a fiddle.  Thirdly, quit using outdated statistics. Plus, everyone knows statistics are padded anyway.

You can belly dance/You were a professional belly dancer?  You must be ignorant/stupid/you must be "that" kind of lady.  No, I am NOT "that" kind of lady, and I am a member of MENSA, thank you kindly.

You and your fiance met online?  You must be ugly/can't do any better/a boring person.  Actually, my fiance resembles Tom Welling, and has a PhD in Quantum Physics.  Obviously, I am not chopped liver, either, since he is attracted to me, and we both live exciting lives going deep sea diving when we aren't busy with work or school.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #43 on: June 05, 2009, 12:06:25 PM »

You planted quarter acre garden?  What, are you starting a survivalist cult? - Um, no, I like fresh herbs and vegetables and sell them at a roadside stand.

Oh, how hard it would be not to say yes and then try to get them to see the light of the Omiscient Tomato and Her Mysterious Gifts.

You win.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #44 on: June 05, 2009, 12:11:18 PM »
To proceed with the game:

I'm a German, so I must be a nazi. Thank you very much, but I was born in 1960 - 15 years after the Third Reich ended. And I had a grandfather who was in a KZ because he was against the Nazis.

I'm a German, so I wear leather hosen and eat sauerkraut every day. So sorry, but the only leather hose I ever owned I've grown out around 43 years ago and though I like sauerkraut, I eat it only two or three times a year because my digestions reacts rather strongly to it.

I'm a preacher's daughter so I must be a) the worst girl in town or b) a total prude. I simply am either

I did some eventing riding in my past, what means: I'm an animal torturer. Thank you very much, but I don't think my horses would share this opinion. And my vet doesn't either.

I've published a few books, so I must be stinking rich. I wish I were! But unfortunately my name isn't J.K. Rowlings.

I own a few horses, therefore I must be stinking rich. Not true either. I only own a few horses because I'm a horse br*eder and earn my money with horses

Sycorax
"If I'd get only a cent every time someone comes up with this 'You do this, therefore you must be that' game, I'd be indeed rich!"

Mmm... sauerkraut.

Thanks, that's what I'm gonna have for dinner tonight.

"You crochet, so you must be a repressed, stupid white trash girl." (Actual words!)