Author Topic: You X? I guess you believe Y!  (Read 21253 times)

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
Re: You X? I guess you believe Y!
« Reply #90 on: June 15, 2009, 01:12:16 PM »
You're from CA? You must have never seen snow before!
California has mountains with snow on them and everything.

You lived in TN? Everybody there is white trash/redneck/lives in a trailer/married to their cousin.
Our family trees have lots of forks in them.

You work at a fast food place. You're a loser whose life is going nowhere.
I'm working here to save money for college. I can always get another job, but you'll always be an assuming jerk.

You're such a quiet person. You must be a ticking timebomb like Columbine/VA Tech. It's always the quiet ones.
Just because I don't like chit-chat that suddenly means I'm going to walk in with an Uzi one day?

TeraNova15

• I aim to misbehave.
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2009, 08:07:47 PM »
I haven't read the whole thread...but I can just say that I'm super thrilled at all of the talking about DnD and other gaming on this thread.  Hubby and I are gamers, and we go to GenCon, and DragonCon and would love to go to ComicCon.  My personal favorite:

You play DnD, but you seem so normal, you should try doing <insert X grown up hobby> Uhh...I am normal and like my hobby thanks

Recently had these two thrown at me:

"You went to a shooting range? But I thought you're a liberal" I have no problem with sport shooting and responsible gun use

"You buy your meat directly from a farm? <paraphrase> So you're some kind of elitist who can't buy food like normal people" No, I happen to like supporting my very down to earth farming community that treats its animals exceedingly well

FunkyMunky

« Reply #92 on: June 17, 2009, 06:46:26 AM »

Ha, good one today:

"You're going to get a dog? I guess you don't want kids then."

Because you know, the two are mutually exclusive.  ::) (the dog in question was a Golden Retriever. Very kid-friendly)

magdalena

• Super Hero!
« Reply #93 on: June 17, 2009, 06:56:25 AM »

Ha, good one today:

"You're going to get a dog? I guess you don't want kids then."

Because you know, the two are mutually exclusive.  ::) (the dog in question was a Golden Retriever. Very kid-friendly)

Oh this one!
My MIL got a version of it when we got the Lab two years ago.
"Oh, you're not gonna be a grandma then, I'm sorry"
We wanted to get the dog at that point, so we'd all be used to each other and she'd be pretty well trained and a bit calmer once kids started coming along... we're hoping for the Ehell water to kick in any time now  ;)

Miss Misery

• Humanity is overrated.
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2009, 01:38:43 PM »
Here's one of my personal favorites:

You write fanfiction? Wow, you really need to get a life!
After you, sweetheart.

Ggggrrrrr........ >:(

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2009, 02:59:29 PM »
Here's one of my personal favorites:

You write fanfiction? Wow, you really need to get a life!
After you, sweetheart.

Ggggrrrrr........ >:(

POD!

*rages quietly*
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

jenny_islander

« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2009, 01:49:53 AM »
"You're a woman?  Those must be your boyfriend's comics."  (This was before the Big Two comics publishers were quite so blatant about tracing from p0rn.  I got him into classic comix kthxbai.)

"You're a woman?  Those must be your boyfriend's SF novels."  *coughLoisMcMasterBujoldAnneMcCaffreyElizabethMoonArdathMayharAndreNortoncough*

"You read romances?  You must not read anything else."  What?

"You read romances?  You must have a sad, pathetic love life."  Okay then.

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2009, 08:29:56 AM »
And then, there are those who tell me I don't have a grip on reality just 'cause I don't hate gypsies.
Those who ask me if I'm*into women*  just because I'm pro g*a*y rights
Those who say I'm going for starvation 'cause I study philosophy
Those who think I don't have a social life just because I happen to have good grades
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 08:33:05 AM by Jolie_kitten »
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

whiterose

• From the good old US of A!
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2009, 10:45:50 AM »

Those who think I don't have a social life just because I happen to have good grades

OK, so that was me in secondary school, since I was the class nerd and had no social skills. But not every other girl who had good grades had no social life. And when I got to college and blossomed, this was no longer an issue. I got like a 3.8 in library school while being an officer in an organization, belonging to another club, and socializing quite a bit and having two part-time jobs.
I have pet mice!

Jolie_kitten

• Cute little thing enjoying life
  • Illegitimi non carborundum
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2009, 12:55:55 PM »
Your story sounds SO MUCH like mine  :)
Where there is cake there is hope. And there is always cake ;)

Nora

« Reply #100 on: October 10, 2009, 01:29:36 PM »
I'm half african, so I must identify with starvation, slavery, and "medicine man" type doctors.

I'm half dutch, so I must be "brainwashed by the white man" (an exact quote), smoke pot, endorse prostitutes, walk in wooden clogs, and grow tulips.

I live in Norway, so I must see polar bears roaming the streets (actually, my city is famous for its ridiculous amounts of rain), I must eats whale meat (its not that tasty), and hit baby seals in the heads with icepicks...

I'm a psychology student, so I must be able to read your mind (nope, just better at noticing when you are lying/unhappy/trying to manipulate me), and I must be an expert at messing with your head. As a pp said: I was plenty good at messing with peoples heads before I studied psych.

We are getting a puppy, general reaction is a huge squeal. Then they wonder what type of puppy, and we say an Old English Bulldog. General reaction a dropped smile, and accusations of wnting to have a "fighter dog". No, actually we want a child friendly bag of slobber and lazy, who will come along for walks in the woods, but will also lay peacefully by my feet while I study. Also, we think they are gorgeously ugly, and have put a lot of time and thought into the type of dog we are getting, so we are pretty darn sure she will be awesome with our three-year old, and our family in general.
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #101 on: October 10, 2009, 03:12:40 PM »
I'm half african, so I must identify with starvation, slavery, and "medicine man" type doctors.

I'm half dutch, so I must be "brainwashed by the white man" (an exact quote), smoke pot, endorse prostitutes, walk in wooden clogs, and grow tulips.

I live in Norway, so I must see polar bears roaming the streets (actually, my city is famous for its ridiculous amounts of rain), I must eats whale meat (its not that tasty), and hit baby seals in the heads with icepicks...

I'm a psychology student, so I must be able to read your mind (nope, just better at noticing when you are lying/unhappy/trying to manipulate me), and I must be an expert at messing with your head. As a pp said: I was plenty good at messing with peoples heads before I studied psych.

We are getting a puppy, general reaction is a huge squeal. Then they wonder what type of puppy, and we say an Old English Bulldog. General reaction a dropped smile, and accusations of wnting to have a "fighter dog". No, actually we want a child friendly bag of slobber and lazy, who will come along for walks in the woods, but will also lay peacefully by my feet while I study. Also, we think they are gorgeously ugly, and have put a lot of time and thought into the type of dog we are getting, so we are pretty darn sure she will be awesome with our three-year old, and our family in general.

You are getting an Old English Bullie, you you must think seriously about... POSTING PICS!

*luvluvluvs bulldogs.*
http://www.etsy.com/shop/Sassycelticmoon
<a href="http://knitmeter.com/" title="Get Your Own KnitMeter">" border="0[/url]

Nora

« Reply #102 on: October 11, 2009, 09:55:34 AM »

You are getting an Old English Bullie, you you must think seriously about... POSTING PICS!

*luvluvluvs bulldogs.*

Oh, trust me. Once the puppy is finally ours (in December, we are waiting for a specific breeeder and a specific pregnancy) I will go batpoocrazy with pics in the cuteliness beyond belief forum! Can't wait for this dog!!!  ;D ;D ;D
Just because someone is offended that does not mean they are in the right.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #103 on: October 12, 2009, 02:33:47 AM »

One of my favourite quotes: "Supporting g*a*y rights does not make me a lesbi@n anymore than my parents support of the civil rights movement made them black".
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

JocelynCS

• Mom of 3 fluffies!
« Reply #104 on: October 12, 2009, 02:20:20 PM »

One of my favourite quotes: "Supporting g*a*y rights does not make me a lesbi@n anymore than my parents support of the civil rights movement made them black".

Oooh, I love that!  Must write it down!

That's the quintessential "interesting assumption", isn't it - that only members of the group who are affected by the injustice have a right to fight for and desire a change - this crosses all kinds of political lines.  A boyfriend of mine got a lot of grief because he actively participated in his college's feminist society - people said a man couldn't call himself a feminist.  Same of course with civil rights groups that deal with racial or religious issues.