Author Topic: Breadmaker panettone/pandoro? Or challah?  (Read 2782 times)

veryfluffy

Breadmaker panettone/pandoro? Or challah?
« on: December 08, 2006, 01:22:38 PM »
I just got a new breadmaker, which is fantastic! But I am trying desperately to find a recipe for panettone or pandoro, the sweet Italian christmas bread for use in a breadmaker.

Also, has anyone tried challah egg bread in a breadmaker and have a recipe to share?

NotCinderell

Re: Breadmaker panettone/pandoro? Or challah?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2006, 01:29:34 PM »
I know people who have mixed/kneaded challah in a breadmaker, but traditional challah should be braided.

veryfluffy

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2006, 03:45:57 PM »
Unfortunately, it'll probably be a few generations of Japanese technology before breadmakers make anything in the traditional shapes! My pannetone won't be star-shaped either. Tonight I'm doing french bread. That's going to be square just like my white bread and my rye bread were! But I'm okay with all my breads being square, as long as it tastes the way it's supposed to.

Bethalize

• Toxic People Survival Checklist
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 08:49:27 AM »
I just got a new breadmaker, which is fantastic! But I am trying desperately to find a recipe for panettone or pandoro, the sweet Italian christmas bread for use in a breadmaker.

Also, has anyone tried challah egg bread in a breadmaker and have a recipe to share?

I've got a recipe for panettone, but it's a dough recipe. You have to prove and bake it. And you need a raisen dispenser (although you add them by hand I don't know exactly when you would).

1/2tsp yeast
300g/11oz Strong White Flour
2 tbsp sugar
15g/1/2 oz butter
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
1 grated lemon ring
1 medium sized egg
1 yolk
140ml milk

Additional ingredients:
50g/2oz mixed peel
100g/4oz raisins

1. Place mixed peel and raisens in the raisen and nut dispenser. Use basic 'Raisin Dough' program.
2. Place dough in 18cm/7" cake tin. Allow to prove until doubled in size.
3. Bake at 150C/300F/gas Mark 2 for about 30 minutes.

I did stollen in the breadmaker last night and it was yummy! I took it to the photographic club where I was giving a talk on food photography and gave everyone a slice to start. It really emphasised my point that we use all five senses in eating (and photography relies on one sense to conjure up the other four).

I've never even heard of challah egg bread I'm afraid. I'm off to Google for it.