Author Topic: Need Divinity candy recipe!  (Read 1887 times)

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
Need Divinity candy recipe!
« on: December 05, 2006, 08:09:14 PM »
I don't remember who posted it when I asked for it on the old forum, but unfortunately I hadn't printed it out yet before the forum went down. It sounded so yummy, it's the one I want to use for my party next week.

Can you please post it again? Thanks!

amiboo

Re: Need Divinity candy recipe!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2006, 11:22:05 PM »
I don't know if you saw my answer about this sitting for 12 hrs.  I haven't made it in a few years and I don't remember how long I let it set up.  I do remember having some trouble with it setting up properly in the warm house so we would set it outside in the cold.  I don't see the difference between that and sticking it in the fridge, we just never had much room in the fridge.  I think you'll be ok with 6 hrs but if there's any way you could make it 2-3 days before the party I would suggest you do it, just to be sure. 

Divinity
2 2/3 cps sugar
2/3 cp light corn syrup
cp water
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 cp chopped nuts

Cook sugar, corn syrup and water (use 1 tablespoon less water on humid days) in 2-quart saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved. Continue cooking, without stirring, to 260F on candy thermometer or until small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a hard ball that holds its shape but is pliable.  (For best results, use the candy thermometer)

Beat egg whites in medium bowl with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Continue beating while pouring hot syrup in a thin stream into egg whites, beating constantly on medium speed. (For best results, use electric stand mixer, not a portable handheld mixer since beating time is about 10 minutes and mixture is thick.) Add vanilla. Beat until mixture holds its shape and becomes slightly dull. (Mixture may become too stiff for mixer.) Gently stir in nuts.

Drop mixture from buttered spoon onto waxed paper. Let stand at room temperature at least 12 hours, turning candies over once, until candies feel firm. Store in airtight container.

kingsrings

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 10:15:17 AM »
Thank you! I can make it two days before, but I don't want to because I want it to be nice and fresh the day of the party. I think if I stick it in the fridge it should be okay. Otherwise the guests will just have to eat 'spoon' divinity candy.

amiboo

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 12:59:16 AM »
Just wondering!  How did the Divinity turn out?