Author Topic: Huge assumption and how it was shut down  (Read 5262 times)

CakeBeret

Huge assumption and how it was shut down
« on: May 22, 2009, 12:13:03 PM »
My best friend Sue and I have been close friends for the past 20ish years. When DH and I started looking at houses, we told her that if she ever wanted/needed to, she could stay in our basement. Sue declined for the present but thanked us for the offer.

A little BG: Sue and Jack dated for several months, about 3 years ago. At that time, Jack was very immature. DH and I went on several double dates with Sue and Jack, and hung out with them quite a bit, until they broke up. Sue and Jack just got back together a few months ago, and have been getting pretty serious. DH and I met up with Sue and Jack a couple weeks ago. Sue introduced me as  "You remember Shatzie, right?" and Jack said yes. Later he forgot my name, which was definitely no big deal, but a little odd considering how much time we used to spend together.

So Sue was telling Jack about our new house and our offer to let her stay in the basement. Jack told her that she ought to take us up on the offer, and Sue asked why. Jack explained, "If you move in there, I can move in with you, and then we won't even have to pay rent!" Ummm, HUGE assumptions. First that DH and I would be ok with Jack moving in--and second that he could stay there rent-free. Sue replied succinctly, "Jack, you weren't invited. We weren't even together when I was invited. And besides, you can't even remember their names!"

Good call, Sue! I'm still pretty astounded by the breadth of Jack's assumptions, though.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

rhirhi

Re: Huge assumption and how it was shut down
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2009, 01:20:00 PM »
Can I have an order of testicular fortitude about half of his? WOW.

He's a card (you know, the Joker), and I think she's going to see that he's not the one, soon.

At least he (hopefully) sealed his fate.

ShadesOfGrey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2009, 01:29:33 PM »
Wow, go Sue! No wonder she's been a friend for a while ;)
Words mean more than what is set down on paper. It takes the human voice to infuse them with shades of deeper meaning. - Maya Angelou

I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. - Maya Angelou

Aeris

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2009, 01:35:36 PM »
::starts slow clap for Sue::

pootbear

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2009, 06:46:12 PM »
I can see why Sue is your BF.  ;D PB

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 06:46:28 AM »
sue  sounds like a very good friend.

(if you ever get tired of her  send her my way   ;D)