Etiquette School is in session! > Complete Silence

Didn't work for me, and I know I will see her again...long

(1/4) > >>

pollywog:
I went to a large chain store the other day to get baby supplies.  Wipes, bottle liners, etc.
BTW- I was rather ill with a fever of 103.  Had to get the stuff, no choice, normally would never be out with a temp like that.
Anyway, it's mid day, the store is fairly empty, two checkers are gabbing.  I put my stuff on the belt, the checker who belonged in the next register says "So, do you have a baby?"

me: Yes

Checker:  How old?

me: 16 months

checker: And you still giver her a bottle?  Why?
[oh, here we go - this is when I should have ended this, I know]

me: Because it works for her and I'm OK with it.  Don't worry, I doubt she'll go to college with a bottle or binky in her mouth.

Checker:  I got my baby off the bottle at a year and a half.  It was easy.

me:  good

Checker:  But, it was too late, her teeth had already rotted, and now she has to have surgery to fix the damage.

me: oh, sorry to hear that
*Let me just add here that I have already paid by this time and my items bagged.  The checker whom is speaking to me HAS my bags and I am holding my hands out for them, and she is not handing them over.

Checker:  You need to get her off the bottle now or else.

me:  I'm OK with her bottle use.  I make sure to brush her teeth several times a day and give her water after her milk.  And she doesn't get any juice.  It's OK.  It works for us.

checker:  Brushing doesn't work.  It's really easy, it only takes a couple of days and you need to take her bottle away now.

me:  Silence.  Mostly stunned, but also at this point I am furious because I am sick and don't want to be having this conversation (I KNOW, Should never have engaged) and know if I say anything else it would not be ehell approved.
She gives up my bags and I walk away.  With her calling behind me "It's easy, you have to do it!"

So, I will eventually see this person again.  SMall town, I go to this store at least once a month.
If she makes a comment again, should I a.) Repeat that we do what works for us and it is not any of her business,  b.) Walk away without saying a word, or c.) tell her my baby also STILL sleeps with us AND uses a binky and see how she reacts to that?

No, seriously....a, or b or some other option?

Hanna:
Speak to the store manager about her.

Black Delphinium:

--- Quote from: Hanna on May 28, 2009, 06:04:51 PM ---Speak to the store manager about her.

--- End quote ---
POD. My managers would have kittens if I talked like that to a customer.

Hanna:

--- Quote from: Black Delphinium on May 28, 2009, 06:06:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: Hanna on May 28, 2009, 06:04:51 PM ---Speak to the store manager about her.

--- End quote ---
POD. My managers would have kittens if I talked like that to a customer.

--- End quote ---
hopefully they wouldn't bottle feed them though. ;)

FoxPaws:
Ignore, ignore, ignore.

"So, do you have a baby?"
me: Yes
Checker:  How old?
me: 16 months
checker: And you still giver her a bottle?  Why?
me: That can all just go in one bag. Or some other innocuous comment unrelated to hers.
Checker:  I got my baby off the bottle at a year and a half.  It was easy.
me:  Silent smile.
Checker:  But, it was too late, her teeth had already rotted, and now she has to have surgery to fix the damage.
me: Smile with neutral ''mmm".
*Let me just add here that I have already paid by this time and my items bagged.  The checker whom is speaking to me HAS my bags and I am holding my hands out for them, and she is not handing them over.

Checker:  You need to get her off the bottle now or else.
me:  I need my bags, please.
checker:  Brushing doesn't work.  It's really easy, it only takes a couple of days and you need to take her bottle away now.
me:  Thank you. Taking your bags and walking away.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version