Author Topic: Didn't work for me, and I know I will see her again...long  (Read 6014 times)

rhirhi

Re: Didn't work for me, and I know I will see her again...long
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 02:16:48 PM »
Wow...DS is almost 3 and is still allowed his nightly bottle. And when he's frustrated, I don't deny him his bottle. I get chewed out all the time for it, but I don't care. DD is 5 months and we have another one on the way, so it's going to be a while before bottles are gone.

When people start on about it, I just tell them that it is no big deal. If they want to have a say, they should have their own kid.

petal

• Dancing Queen
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 06:37:06 AM »
I went to a large chain store the other day to get baby supplies.  Wipes, bottle liners, etc.
BTW- I was rather ill with a fever of 103.  Had to get the stuff, no choice, normally would never be out with a temp like that.
Anyway, it's mid day, the store is fairly empty, two checkers are gabbing.  I put my stuff on the belt, the checker who belonged in the next register says "So, do you have a baby?"

me: Yes

Checker:  How old?

me: 16 months

checker: And you still giver her a bottle?  Why?
[oh, here we go - this is when I should have ended this, I know]

me: Because it works for her and I'm OK with it.  Don't worry, I doubt she'll go to college with a bottle or binky in her mouth.

Checker:  I got my baby off the bottle at a year and a half.  It was easy.

me:  good

Checker:  But, it was too late, her teeth had already rotted, and now she has to have surgery to fix the damage.

me: oh, sorry to hear that
*Let me just add here that I have already paid by this time and my items bagged.  The checker whom is speaking to me HAS my bags and I am holding my hands out for them, and she is not handing them over.

Checker:  You need to get her off the bottle now or else.

me:  I'm OK with her bottle use.  I make sure to brush her teeth several times a day and give her water after her milk.  And she doesn't get any juice.  It's OK.  It works for us.

checker:  Brushing doesn't work.  It's really easy, it only takes a couple of days and you need to take her bottle away now.

me:  Silence.  Mostly stunned, but also at this point I am furious because I am sick and don't want to be having this conversation (I KNOW, Should never have engaged) and know if I say anything else it would not be ehell approved.
She gives up my bags and I walk away.  With her calling behind me "It's easy, you have to do it!"

So, I will eventually see this person again.  SMall town, I go to this store at least once a month.
If she makes a comment again, should I a.) Repeat that we do what works for us and it is not any of her business,  b.) Walk away without saying a word, or c.) tell her my baby also STILL sleeps with us AND uses a binky and see how she reacts to that?

No, seriously....a, or b or some other option?

completely and utterley disgusted parent here

if that checkers daughter teeth rotted   its not because she had a bottle but what was being put in that bottle

how do i know that?   because my 13 year old daughter has a bottle.  she uses it for every single drink.

her teeth are absolutely fine.  no problems. ever.  I give her milk, juice and water in the bottle.  they aren't deformed or rotting.

its not lazy parenting,  its thru having a child who isnt able to hold a knife or fork and  who cannot drink from a cup/sippie cup.

that checker would hate me.  ;D

cut her short next time.  "sorry  but this isnt up for discussion"  and remove your bags from her grasp.  DO NOT wait until she hands them to you,  take them.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 12:11:15 PM »
What did the checker's teeth look like?

I have run into people with a genetic predisposition to BAD teeth (weak enamel) who mentioned that one or both parents had teeth just like theirs - and the 18 year old's graduation present was to get every BAD tooth in her head pulled and get implants (good dental plan, apparently).

I have run into people who didn't get a lot of milk or lived in an area with soft water (hard water in Kentucky runs through limestone - many people born & raised there seem to have strong white teeth).  Soft water has no minerals in it - so no "help". 

I have run into people who had lived in an area with very high flouride levels that had bad looking but strong teeth..............

So, the cashier's daughter could have had her teeth rot from not being fed enough milk or other high calcium foods to build strong teeth, being allowed to go to sleep with sweet liquid in her mouth, or having inherited BAD teeth (from Mom or Dad - or even further back if the gene was recessive). 

Which adds up to "that's an interesting assumption" comment and a request to speak to her manager if she won't take a hint...........
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

pollywog

« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 01:26:26 PM »
I didn't really look at her teeth, I was feeling so unwell I had trouble enough focussing.  But, I think you are right.  My baby gets 3 bottles of milk a day, and any other bottles she requests have water in them.  She does not fall asleep with a bottle in her mouth, she finishs her night bottle, then has a couple of ounces of water.  She gets juice maybe 2-3 times per month, and only in a cup - she actually only likes pineapple juice, and I refuse to allow her to have juice in a bottle.  We brush her teeth 2-3x per day and give her fluoride drops as our area water supply is not flouridated.  She sees her pediatrician every 3 months and has seen a pediatric dentist for an initial consultation.  Both have said we are fine, which I tried to say to the checker, who just talked over me.  Supposing that I am feeling well the next time I run into this woman, I might suggest to her that my parenting decisions are not up for discussion. 
Or quote Fez:
Good Day, ma'am!
I SAID GOOD DAY!

CrayonOutlines

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 02:40:04 PM »
I'm with the others who think that something along the lines of "I appreciate your concern, but I really don't discuss my parenting choices with strangers.  Have you seen how fresh the peaches are?  They're such a delicious summer treat!" should suffice.