Author Topic: i promised my daughter she could go to your ultrasound....  (Read 9822 times)

MrsJWine

• Super Hero!
  • I have an excessive fondness for parentheses.
    • Wallydraigle
Re: i promised my daughter she could go to your ultrasound....
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 01:01:07 PM »
I'd be surprised if they'd even allow children in the ultrasound room.  From my experiences, you were allowed one other adult in the room and that was it-- and no a child couldn't be left in the waiting room unattended.

I think it depends on the place.  My OB office actively encourages involvement of other children.  We were prepared to have my husband wait in the waiting room with her, but we asked the receptionist and she said that babies were more than welcome in the ultrasound room.  The ultrasound tech smiled and seemed a little thrilled to see the baby she'd scanned months before (four times, actually) as a smily, happy little girl in person.  Although I'm not positive (and I would ask first), I'm guessing that applies to any child who can either sit still on her own or be held by the adult accompanying the patient.

Now, that still doesn't excuse your friend.  Just because your other children might possibly be welcome at appointments doesn't mean other random people's children are, too.  That's just bizarre.  I, too, recommend ceasing all talk about your pregnancy with her.

I have a blog.  I hate that word.

Utah

Cherry

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 05:43:27 PM »
i told her over the phone that it was a boy, and she whined and moaned that she didn't want a "stupid" boy. i wanted to smack her! she can't just be happy that i got what i wanted, she has to whine because she didn't get what she wanted, as if it were her baby!

A great friend wouldn't call their friend's baby stupid in any way.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 11:48:51 AM »
The hospital I went to does not allow children to attend ultrasounds. Sadly, an ultrasound can sometimes lead to the mother receiving bad news and they do not want children present whilst this is being delivered. Furthermore the sonographer needs to be able to concentrate without worrying about small children doing what small children do.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:57:15 AM by mechtilde »
NE England

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 12:30:38 PM »
I'd be surprised if they'd even allow children in the ultrasound room.  From my experiences, you were allowed one other adult in the room and that was it-- and no a child couldn't be left in the waiting room unattended.

With the hospital practice with DS (first kid) I was only allowed two adults. With the private practice I have now, he's got a huge room, I could actually have my whole family (DS, DD, DH) plus my siblings (12 in town), my parents and my FBIL.

You could have or all of them actually came to your ultrasound?

Ultrasound as spectator event is a foreign concept to me (as are most things baby). I am not trying to be critical, just honestly curious.

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

rhirhi

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 12:38:47 PM »

With the hospital practice with DS (first kid) I was only allowed two adults. With the private practice I have now, he's got a huge room, I could actually have my whole family (DS, DD, DH) plus my siblings (12 in town), my parents and my FBIL.

You could have or all of them actually came to your ultrasound?

Ultrasound as spectator event is a foreign concept to me (as are most things baby). I am not trying to be critical, just honestly curious.

Could have- that room is HUGE! In reality, I had DH, DS (almost 3) and DD (8m) in my U/S two weeks ago. Trust me, I don't want all of them there, either...lol

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 12:42:31 PM »

Aha! Thanks! I was starting to wonder if maybe i was rude in not expressing an interest in going to my loved ones' ultrasounds! :)
There was a little comic in my head with my cousin sitting there with her knees up and a thought bubble of "I got this big ol' room and cousin hobish didn't even bother to call. Hmph!" :)

It's alright, man. I'm only bleeding, man. Stay hungry, stay free, and do the best you can.
~Gaslight Anthem

blue2000

• It is never too late to be what you might have been
  • Super Hero!
  • Two kitties - No waiting. And no sleeping either.
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 01:40:32 PM »
Oh dear, oh dear. A new topic.

"The Etiquette Of Ultrasound Parties".

Do you include pics of the last US in the invitation? Is being squeamish a valid reason for declining? Can your loved ones ask to bring extra guests (maybe their neighbours would like to see too!)? What kinds of themes would be appropriate - maybe an Alien motif on nice, pink cupcakes?

The mind boggles. And the stomach heaves, too. I'm all for sharing with your loved ones, but maybe not that much sharing, K?
You are only young once. After that you have to think up some other excuse.

Nurvingiel

• Super Hero!
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2009, 09:20:28 PM »
So what happened anyway Sourgirl27? Have you had your ultrasound yet?
If I had some ham, I could have ham and eggs, if I had some eggs.

Danismom

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 09:52:48 PM »

Aha! Thanks! I was starting to wonder if maybe i was rude in not expressing an interest in going to my loved ones' ultrasounds! :)
There was a little comic in my head with my cousin sitting there with her knees up and a thought bubble of "I got this big ol' room and cousin hobish didn't even bother to call. Hmph!" :)

Since you mention that most things baby are foreign to you, I thought it might ease your mind to know that the ultrasounds being discussed are probably far enough along in the pregnancy to be trans-abdominal rather than the early pregnancy trans-vag.  The difference is that mom is full clothed with just her preg-o belly exposed and the pants shimmied down a little to be low rise.  Mom usually lays quite flat on the exam table, so its not quite the invasive exam that you might be picturing.  Now, to be on the safe side though, you will want to step out of the L&D room when the nurse goes to check your cousin's dilation.  That is quite invasive and trust me, only those mom is comfortable enough with to have in the room for the delivery should feel at all welcome to stay during those exams and even then only if mom asks them to.

hobish

• Super Hero!
  • Release the gelfling!
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2009, 02:06:51 AM »

Since you mention that most things baby are foreign to you, I thought it might ease your mind to know that the ultrasounds being discussed are probably far enough along in the pregnancy to be trans-abdominal rather than the early pregnancy trans-vag.  The difference is that mom is full clothed with just her preg-o belly exposed and the pants shimmied down a little to be low rise.  Mom usually lays quite flat on the exam table, so its not quite the invasive exam that you might be picturing.  Now, to be on the safe side though, you will want to step out of the L&D room when the nurse goes to check your cousin's dilation.  That is quite invasive and trust me, only those mom is comfortable enough with to have in the room for the delivery should feel at all welcome to stay during those exams and even then only if mom asks them to.

:) I've had a few ultrasounds and have assisted in the delivery of three babies. I've seen dilation, crowning and last time i literally caught the kid's shoulders.

Knees up at an ultrasound was purely for comedic effect in the comic in the thought bubble in my head. I get silly sometimes. I think the idea of a spectator ultrasound with an RSVP requirement is kind of funny.
~Gaslight Anthem

GlindaBunny

• my etsy store
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2009, 02:15:02 AM »
Kumquat came to my ultrasounds of the twins; DH kept him (relatively) quiet and contained.  He was too young to know what was going on.

By 24 weeks, it was dangerous for me to walk or drive alone, thanks to the extreme dizziness.

It really was a horrible pregnancy.

OP, I wouldn't bother telling her when your ultrasound is, even after you have it.  If she asks you about it afterwards, you can cheerfully say, "oh, I already had it done."

Friend:  But we were supposed to come!  I promised my daughter she could!

OP:  It wasn't your decision.  Bean dip?

zoidberg

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2009, 06:25:09 AM »
As ultrasounds are performed in the doctors practice here, I would be naked from the waist down for these, as they take place after the examination. You get to take the feet out of the stirrups, but that's about it as far as modesty is concerned.

Even my BF as the father feels a bit funny being present. I can't imagine *anyone* showing interest in accompanying me to the ultrasound, much less someone wanting their *child* to watch the whole thing!

Seriously, OP, the level of involvement from your friend seems seriously creepy to me. And anyone who pouted about me having a "stupid boy" would not be considered a friend anymore.

arnadelecour

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2009, 02:46:28 PM »
I brought ds to my 20 week u/s with dh and me. We wanted him to be there to see if he's having a brother or a sister. Ds knew exactly what he was seeing, he kept exclaiming "BABY!!!". Once we saw we're having another boy he started clapping and saying "HELLO EDWARD!!!!!" over and over LOL! The tech absolutely loved ds.