Author Topic: "I may be fat, but at least people know I'm fat and I don't just look pregnant!"  (Read 7058 times)

xoxotvf

So I go to the grocery store (Harris Teeter) in a good mood and leave feeling sucky. Why? Because of this woman in those dingdangity scooter shopping carts (in one because she is heavy).

I am looking at bread and deciding which kind to, since there are so many choices, multigrain, wheat, honey wheat, potato..... I'm minding my own business when I hear

"Ahhhhh hEMM" -This woman clears her throat. I figure she wants to look at the section I am looking at, so I move down about four feet to look at the other brands.
She scoots her cart forward until it's almost touching me and again,

"Ahhhh HE HEEEEEEEEMMM!" even more loudly. So I figure she wants to ask me something so I'm like,

"Yes?"

"YES? YES? You're in my way. I'm fat, but at least people know I'm fat and I don't just look pregnant!" She says.

I'm thinking, what the hell? Again she clears her throat.

"NOW MOVE and stop trying to make my life harder than it already is."

Then I figure it out and step back. She didn't want me to move to the right. For some reason she couldn't reverse the cart to go past me- or go around me when I was four more feet away. I had to move completely back.

I know I have a bit of a pooch. I am working on it. Honestly, I am, but the weight all settles in my stomach. If my legs and arms were thicker, I guess I wouldn't have to worry about it. I am down to 157 pounds now and 5'9." I was feeling really proud of myself, but now I just feel awful. To make matters worse I am very bloated since it's that time, you know. I didn't know what to say or how to react.

mechtilde

• Super Hero!
A simple "Excuse me could you move in x direction please?" would have sufficed.

What was that woman thinking of? I'm finding it hard to get my head around it.
NE England

xoxotvf

My mom tried to comfort me by saying, "if you really looked pregnant she might not have been so mean." Did they just spray pesticides or something over the town? What?? I think she was trying to say that I don't look pregnant, otherwise the woman would have just assumed I was...

Suze

• I live in the real world. I play in the Middle Ages.
  • Super Hero!
157 and 5'9"  (I WISH)

I'd think you are just about "right" in the weight deptment.

I'm 5'6" and 209 and only WISH my weight started with a 1 (I'm working on it too but it is not going well)

Women in the cart was not a very nice person and should be ignored and forgotten.

{{{{hugs}}}}
Reality is for people who lack Imagination

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
What a rude, entitled creature!

She was out to hurt you - don't let her.

Phoebe

Yes, she was rude.  But this

this woman in those dingdangity scooter shopping carts (in one because she is heavy).

is a very interesting assumption on your part.

TurtleDove

• Super Hero!

this woman in those dingdangity scooter shopping carts (in one because she is heavy).

Given what the woman said, I don't think it was an incorrect one.

Animala

• Rowr!
  • Super Hero!

I'd POD this.  I am heavy due to some health issues which sometimes make it very difficult to walk.  Since I found out that people think fat people use carts just becuase they are fat I stopped using them and just don't shop on bad days.

That said, this woman was a gem and extremely rude.

KCee

I agree, she brought up the "fat" thing.

delphinium

You could have said, "Fat people are supposed to be jolly, lady!"
 >:D

Phoebe

I don't agree.  She said she was fat, she didn't say why she was using the cart.  I'm overweight.  I've used the carts because of a medical condition that would necessitate using the cart whether I am overweight or not.  Neither fact has anything to do with the other.  It's still an interesting assumption.

KCee

I don't agree.  She said she was fat, she didn't say why she was using the cart.  I'm overweight.  I've used the carts because of a medical condition that would necessitate using the cart whether I am overweight or not.  Neither fact has anything to do with the other.  It's still an interesting assumption.

Then why did she say "I may be fat..." referring to why she can't move around the OP easily?  She could have said " I may be handicapped..." or "I may be sick..." but she didn't.  I wouldn't normally assume that an overweight person was using a cart simply because they were heavy, but when they come out and state that, it moves out of "assumption" territory. 

ETA:  Changed would to wouldn't. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2009, 08:19:33 PM by KCee »

Phoebe

Then why did she say "I may be fat..." referring to why she can't move around the OP easily?  She could have said " I may be handicapped..." or "I may be sick..." but she didn't.  I wouldn't normally assume that an overweight person was using a cart simply because they were heavy, but when they come out and state that, it moves out of "assumption" territory. 

I didn't take the "I may be fat.." comment to be a reference to why she couldn't move around the OP.  I took it to be an opening to insult the OP ("but at least people know I'm fat and I don't just look pregnant.")   

Given the attitude that the woman had, that the OP was in her way, the rude woman's size would have nothing to do with manuevering the cart.  Nowhere is it indicated that the woman says she's using the cart because of her size. 

KCee

I didn't take the "I may be fat.." comment to be a reference to why she couldn't move around the OP.  I took it to be an opening to insult the OP ("but at least people know I'm fat and I don't just look pregnant.")   

Given the attitude that the woman had, that the OP was in her way, the rude woman's size would have nothing to do with manuevering the cart.  Nowhere is it indicated that the woman says she's using the cart because of her size. 

She may or may not have meant it that way.  I can't know for sure, obviously.  I just don't think its an outlandish or insulting assumption, considering the woman brought up her weight in the first place.  I don't see it necessary to scold the OP in this case.

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • Super Hero!
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
You could have said, "Fat people are supposed to be jolly, lady!"
 >:D

Awesome...

Hey, is this ehell aproved... it doesn't seem inherently rude...