Author Topic: Crock Pot recipes?  (Read 2102 times)

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
Crock Pot recipes?
« on: April 28, 2007, 07:57:24 PM »
I recieved a crock pot or Christmas from DH.  ;D Other than my mother's traditional beef roast w/ onions, carrots, and potatos; I am clueless on recipes.  I'd rather ask people who have cooked with them than use a cookbook, because all of the best recipes I have learned were from other people.
Thanks a million  ;D
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

AprilRenee

Re: Crock Pot recipes?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 08:13:04 PM »
take a beef roast (or pork roast depending on your taste) and toss it in the crock pot. Add some beef broth for moisture. cook until it is falling apart. Drain the broth out, pull the beef into small pieces and toss in some canned green chilis. Mix up well. Tastes good on hamburger buns, in tortillas and is REALLY good if you put it in a tortilla, fold the tortilla closed, pin in place with toothpicks and deep fry it. mmm Chimichangas!

magicdomino

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 08:52:27 PM »
Corned Beef

Rub corned beef with brown sugar (about 3 or 4 tablespoons) and plop in the pot.  Sprinkle with the packet of spices if one came with the meat, otherwise throw in a few peppercorns, a crumbled bay leaf,  and maybe a little whole mustard seeds if you have some floating around.  Carefully pour a bottle of Guiness or other stout beer over the corned beef, trying not to wash off the sugar.  Cover.  Turn on low, and cook for about 8 or 10 hours.

Kalua pork

Get a pork roast that will fit in your pot.  Pork shoulder is best, or you can use butt.  Rub with 2 to 3 tablespoons of coarse salt (ideally pink Hawaiian salt) and 2 tablespoons of liquid smoke.  Put in the crock pot and cook on low 8 to 10 hours.  Remove meat from pot, put in bowl and shred.  Pour juices into cup and spoon off the fat.   Pour juices over meat and give the meat a chance to absorb the juices.  Meat can be eaten as is, mixed with barbeque sauce, or mixed into fried rice.

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 09:24:26 PM »
Here's a really simple one:

4-6 lg. boneless pork chops
1 can cream of chicken and mushroom, OR cream of chicken & herb, OR cream of mushroom with roasted garlic
1/2 soupcan milk
1/2 soupcan water
Salt & pepper to taste

Put ingredients in crock pot. Cook 4 hours on high

The sauce is fabulous on mashed potatoes.

scooter2071

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 09:44:51 AM »
Chili! Easy and quick!

1 large can of kidney beans,
1 package of chili seasoning (follow the basic directions on there)
1 (small) can of tomato sauce
1 lb ground beef (browned)
1 bag of frozen corn kernels

throw it in the pot and cook for as long as you'd like. Add sour cream and shredded cheese when ready to serve.

Cheesy Chicken

Boneless chicken breast
1 can of condensed cheese soup
1 can of water

cook on high for 6 hours or until chicken is done. Serve over rice.

Experiment! You can't really screw anything up as long as everything is cooked throughly.

twinkletoes

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2007, 09:52:07 AM »
This probably won't help, but I have used the applesauce recipe in the crockpot booklet.  Love it!

I also love allrecipes.com's Crockpot recipes:  http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes.aspx?WithTerm=crockpot

You really can't go wrong with it. 

GAMel

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 09:33:57 AM »
Take a pork loin, throw in a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce, cook on low for 8 hours, pull apart with forks = pulled pork for sandwiches!

Chicken breasts with a jar of your favorite salsa = great chicken for salads, tacos, or whatever.

A book to try (I have had sucess with a lot of their recipes) is the 'Fix it and Forget it' cookbook.

Lots of Luck,
Mel :)

JeanFromBNA

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 05:42:48 PM »
Corned Beef

Rub corned beef with brown sugar (about 3 or 4 tablespoons) and plop in the pot.  Sprinkle with the packet of spices if one came with the meat, otherwise throw in a few peppercorns, a crumbled bay leaf,  and maybe a little whole mustard seeds if you have some floating around.  Carefully pour a bottle of Guiness or other stout beer over the corned beef, trying not to wash off the sugar.  Cover.  Turn on low, and cook for about 8 or 10 hours.
I've cooked corned beef in the crock pot, adding the potatoes and cabbage later, and have never tried it with the brown sugar and guiness.  Now, I'll have to try it that way!

Harriet Jones

• Super Hero!
  • Yes, we know who you are.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 11:32:47 PM »
This is more of a cold weather recipe, but it's really good!

Cheesy Chicken and Sausage
1 ring of Polish or Kielbasa type sausage
3-4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
1 can cheddar cheese soup
8 oz sour cream

Chunk up the kielbasa and put in crock pot. Put chicken on top. Whisk together the soup and sour cream and dump that on top. Forget about it for several hours.

Serve over rice, noodles, mashed potatoes

I've doubled the soup and sour cream to have more sauce!

jais

• Super Hero!
  • Two Friends. Two Hearts. One Promise. One Love.
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 11:44:56 PM »
This is more of a cold weather recipe, but it's really good!

Cheesy Chicken and Sausage
1 ring of Polish or Kielbasa type sausage
3-4 boneless, skinless, chicken breasts
1 can cheddar cheese soup
8 oz sour cream

Chunk up the kielbasa and put in crock pot. Put chicken on top. Whisk together the soup and sour cream and dump that on top. Forget about it for several hours.

Serve over rice, noodles, mashed potatoes

I've doubled the soup and sour cream to have more sauce!

This sound fabolous!  I'm going to have to try this one!

Tabbage

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 06:04:48 PM »
Here's a really easy and tasty crock-pot BBQ recipe that will feed a lot of people for around $12.00.  I got this one from my mom (as usual), who cut it out of the paper several years ago.

Ingredients:

--  1 Turkey breast roast (the type you get in the frozen food section).  Thawed or frozen is OK.  Remove the gravy packet (if it has one) and use for something else.  Some roasts comes in one of those nets -- you can leave it on and just cut it off when you're done cooking.  With a frozen roast, you'll probably have to leave it on because it gets frozen onto the roast.

--  1 Can cranberry sauce (the whole-berry type)  (This is the secret ingredient nobody ever guesses is in there.)  The jelly type doesn't work as well.

--  1 Bottle of BBQ sauce.  This is where it gets fun -- you can use any number of different flavors (I've had good luck with regular BBQ, Hickory flavor, Cajun Hot, Buffalo Wing flavor, Chipotle flavor, etc.

Instructions:

Pur the BBQ sauce and cranberry sauce into the crock pot, then stir it to break up the cranberry sauce a bit.  Put the turkey roast in the pot and spoon some of the mixture over it.

If the turkey roast is frozen, cook on HIGH for an hour, then turn down to LOW for 4-6 hours.  If it's already thawed, just cook on low 4-6 hours.  You don't have to mess with it once it's in the pot, but generally I try to stir up the sauce and spoon more on the roast 1 - 2 times while it's cooking.

Once it's done, cut off the netting and use two forks to shred the turkey right in the pot.  You can pick out any larger chunks of fat or skin (there usually isn't much of it).  It will look like there is too much liquid at first, but it will absorb once you are done shredding.  Ready to serve!

Extra info:   

--  For parties, you can serve on smaller rolls on a platter and get lots and lots of sandwiches. 
--  I highly recommend serving with cole slaw.  I even put it on the sandwich (southern-style!).
--  Most people won't even realize it's turkey.  It just tastes like "barbecue", but it's healthier.