Author Topic: Menu Opinions Please?  (Read 944 times)

NOVA Lady

• Super Hero!
Menu Opinions Please?
« on: April 29, 2007, 12:20:04 AM »
Its our turn to host our "dinner group" (we basically just take turns inviting and hosting naturally with no real roster or anything like that).

My idea for the dinner was tapas style dishes. I mainly think of this because I purchased a great cute set of dishes so I currently have 25 each of mini blue plates, red plates, green plates, and yellow plates. There will be 8 people total and my idea was to do "small plates" and make about 4-5-6 dishes and plate then of the small plates. Place the plates on the banquet and allow people to chose for themselves for the main "dinner". Before dinner I plan to do the glass of wine/cocktail and cheese/fruit/veggie platter thing while we chat and catch up.

I was tossing these dishes around my mind for the mini plates

1. Salad- baby greens (fresh from my own backyard picked right before making!), maybe somthing fun like dried cranberries or almond slices, and a nice dressing.

2. Scallops wrapped in bacon- I am thinking 3 to a small plate or so (too little too much?)

3. Sirloin/filet (depending on what the market has)- perhaps in "kabob" form with veggies-- one/two good sized kabob(s) per small plate

4. Chicken Terikey on rice-- I am thinking maybe 3-4 ounces of chicken on a cup or cup and a half of rice

5. Salmon with leeks, onions, and lemons-- 3-4 ounces, good amount of veggies

6. Veggie stir fry on rice-- good mix on white rice

Does this sound cute/fun? I have thought of the making of everything.... and it would be easily down with our equipment and time frame. I love "mini" food and think it would be a great time.

Does this sound like I will be able to feed them enough (I will have home made challah bread with dinner, individual sized to encourage eating!) and also a berries/mouse dessert for dinner.

Fire away please :)

simonsays

Re: Menu Opinions Please?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2007, 01:12:33 AM »
I love this idea! Very cute and creative.

The only thing I would do would maybe be to mix up the flavours a little bit.  I would maybe incorporate more spices/flavour inspirations (like different cuisines) to up the fun of it.

Your menu sounds great!

HugsandKesses

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2007, 01:12:45 AM »
1. Salad- baby greens (fresh from my own backyard picked right before making!), maybe somthing fun like dried cranberries or almond slices, and a nice dressing.

2. Scallops wrapped in bacon- I am thinking 3 to a small plate or so (too little too much?)

Have you tried bacon wrapped water chestnuts?  IMO they are much better - they get all crunch.  But then again I don't really like scallops.  The number would depend on what size of thing you wrap.  

3. Sirloin/filet (depending on what the market has)- perhaps in "kabob" form with veggies-- one/two good sized kabob(s) per small plate

4. Chicken Terikey on rice-- I am thinking maybe 3-4 ounces of chicken on a cup or cup and a half of rice

5. Salmon with leeks, onions, and lemons-- 3-4 ounces, good amount of veggies

6. Veggie stir fry on rice-- good mix on white rice

Those sound really big.  Are you intending that everyone eat most things - because 1 cup of rice is alot if you add in all the other things.

But it sounds really yummy.  

Miss Unleaded

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2007, 07:51:04 AM »
Tapas style sounds great.  I like mini-dishes and buffet style serving in general because it encourages mingling, lets everyone try a bit of everything, and often spares the hostess some work! 

In case you haven't thought of it already, I will add that you should make sure you take into account food allergies or religious/ethical dietary restrictions. 

Also, I know you said it fits into your time constraints but a lot of your dishes sound rather labour intensive and not the kind of thing that will handle being left on the stove or in the oven for a long time before serving.  Are you sure you will be able to prepare all of these at the same time?  I would advise having dishes that can be prepared well in advance and don't mind sitting around.

Also keep a wheelbarrow handy for carrying your well-stuffed guests away afterwards.   :)

twinkletoes

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2007, 09:41:41 AM »
It all sounds lovely.  I was just wondering if you should add one or two more dishes.  I always thought with tapas that you have one dish per person, and then an extra one.  So you would maybe need nine (although I guess you could count the fruit/cheese/veggie platters as one or two plates....).  Maybe just one more, to be on the safe side?  And maybe one that only requires refrigeration, so you could prepare it well ahead of time and it's ready to go? 

If you have bread on the side, that really goes a long way to filling everyone up.